Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Reaping Ritual 2021: Restless Slumber ┤▒├ Wild's Wacky Wilderness of Weird

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2021/12/3 17:07:31 )
Has anything else been keeping you busy?

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 2 years ago ( 2021/12/3 17:09:03 )

Trying to rest and watching all 8 seasons of InuYasha.

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2021/12/3 17:11:33 )
That's a lot of InuYasha. Are you feeling ok... trying to rest...??

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 2 years ago ( 2021/12/3 17:12:32 )

There's been a bit of stress at work.

Donator Posted 2 years ago ( 2021/12/3 17:15:43 )
@Wildfire: How's your garden coming along? :)

I just drank a hot chai and coolin' down from waking up aggravated.
I got a few things for plans today.
Turns out my husband has been getting the Call Backs from a company I've been trying to get ahold of to fix something. OTL so, I'll be borrowing his phone today. X)
And, later I have an appt and I'll be doing a hunt around town for a new washing machine.

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2021/12/3 17:42:41 )
@Another Movie Addict: I'm sorry to hear that. Anything in particular going on at work that's got you stressed?

@Koah: It sounds like you're a busy bee today! I hope you get everything done :3

The garden is coming along slowly. Mostly what I'm doing is ripping up old shrubs, etc., digging up dirt and trying to prepare it to grow things. And planning... lots and lots of thinking about where to put things, whether or not the conditions will be right for the plants and the space I have in mind.... that kind of thing. :3

Donator — She/Her Posted 2 years ago ( 2021/12/3 17:54:59 )

Questing :
Feline of Fertility | Doggo of Death | Draconic Dream | Garnet | Drip Drop Fairy | On Guard | Flutters Her Wings | Paints Her Webs | Capricorn| Unique High Loving Gaze | Lucky Neko | TransFURmation | Ghostly Treat | Soulcaster | Vampyr | Cheshire Cabaret | Untamed | Feline of Fertility | Doggo of Death | Corrupted Ichor | Fluers d’espoir | Her Grace | His Elegance

...ᘛ⁐̤ᕐᐷ
Wildfire:
@star2000shadow: gotcha. Yes, I can imagine that would be fodder for making one grumpy! XD

Haha sorry, I sometimes type Like Everyone can read my mind so they get the meaning 'shrugs' so how goes your day today. 'makes face' it snowed this morning, but if I'm lucky it'll keep tot he 'melt within a few hour sof it being warm' level. <:3( )~~

Donator Posted 2 years ago ( 2021/12/3 18:06:47 )
@Wildfire: I hope I get everything done too. I'm burning out with the house-to-dos. I just want to get back to focusing on Christmas and not the expensive house maintenance and repairs. CX

Lol, The movie Waterworld just came to mind, and how in that movie everyone valued dirt and live plants like gold.

Did you get your bags of dirt for the garden?

Last summer, it took me forever to rip up our shrubs and I'm finding their sprouts now. I gotta go through and rip them out again and then get a yard stabber to get down to their roots. [yard stabber = pointy hoe]

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2021/12/3 20:47:03 )
    It takes a lot of time and dedication to upkeep a garden, or even just a few small plants in front of the house. Sometimes those buggers can really be resilient! I don't recall the name of the bush, but there was one in my childhood home that was used as a barrier between the houses and you just couldn't get rid of it no matter how hard you naturally tried.

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2021/12/3 20:48:41 )
@star2000shadow: so did the snow melt?

@Koah: lol, yeah, I hear ya - I don't want to think about those things either!! XD
I have a couple bags of dirt for the garden and a bag of cow poop. I was out there "softening up" the existing dirt (sand, really) and mixing in coffee grounds and a little bit of the manure in the hopes of giving the soil a chance of actually nourishing something when I plant stuff there in a few days. I have given up on trying to get the last couple shrubs out - the roots are bigger around than my wrist and I just can't keep banging at it incessantly. I've cut off everything that I can cut off in the hope of killing them (I'll watch for signs of growth and cut them off too, if they happen) and I've woven branches and stuff inbetween the remaining "stumps" for a low, natural trellis thing. We'll see what happens with it. :3

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2021/12/3 20:51:54 )
@blue: Yes, it can. I'm hoping that with the work I'm doing now, I'll be in pretty good shape when the weather gets insufferably hot again. I have a lot to do to prepare everything but my first goal is to plant a bunch of perennials. Then I'll fill in spaces with other things - annuals, flowers, herbs, etc.
Some plants are absolutely determined to exist, and don't seem to care what us humans have to say on the matter XD

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2021/12/3 20:57:46 )
    @Wildfire: haha, That's very true!
    I've seen some really pretty combinations in front of houses and businesses. I would love to try it one day, but I also understand that I won't always have this kind of time for upkeep. One of the prettiest combinations I saw was something like wheat or pampas grass that stood tall in front of a house like a privacy screen. But I also love all the hydrangea that are around Washington; I've always thought it was very romantic.

An herb garden would be so nice!

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2021/12/3 21:09:19 )
@blue: Yes - exactly. I haven't had much luck with gardening before, but I think a large part of that was that my priorities were the human children and not the plants (imagine that! XD)... and, I was trying to grow things that just don't seem to grow here. Now that my kids are young adults and my responsibilities concerning them are more limited, I have more time to dedicate to outdoor things. And this time, I'm trying to use more sub-tropical things in the garden instead of "the usual suspects (for most of the U.S.)". You just reminded me that a friend gave me some amaranth seeds! She has it growing at her house and it's a very pretty tall purplish plant!! If I find the right location and space for it, I'll have to plant some! :3 I think it's possible to create a lovely environment with plants... if you pay attention to what they're doing, etc. Time will tell if I'm up to the task! XD

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2021/12/3 21:56:39 )
    @Wildfire: Ohh, that amaranth is really beautiful! I've definitely seen it somewhere in this neighborhood. I especially like those bold colors!

I suggested a tree once, to help shade the house and keep it cool in the summer, but my partner was adamantly against it because they didn't want to deal with leaves. I guess they'll just have to deal with a high a/c bill instead, huehuuuu.

I'm afraid I'm not terribly familiar with what would be considered normal in gardening for the area. I can guess that a cactus belongs in hotter places, and the more leafy and bush-like plants for areas that are more moist. I've seen tulips, lilies, and rose bushes, but I can't name much beyond that. I saw a garden once that had a few rows of lavender and it was a delight just walking by the house.

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2021/12/3 22:44:15 )
@blue: it definitely takes some research!! Observation of common local plants also helps.
LOL at your partner essentially choosing to pay higher A/C instead of dealing with leaves! Leaves are not everyone's favorite, though, I know...

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2021/12/3 22:50:38 )
    @Wildfire: I'm not sure how the neighbors feel about trees, but they're not so bad. Plus, they can give some great shade on the street if someone parks their car there. Even better if it was able to shade the driveway or the front window of the living room. I walked in once this summer and gasped at how oven-like it was.

It'll probably take a little time to see what's native for the area. One of the neighbors has a wisteria that is choking out two of the nearby trees. As admittedly pretty as the flowers are for the short period, it's too bad that his two trees won't be around forever because of how entangled it is. It drives my partner crazy because the wisteria is finding its way around the fence.

Just looking now, the claim is that Little Bluestem is native to the area. I like ornamental grasses, so this could be a good fit!

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2021/12/3 23:07:58 )
@blue: You're taking notes on what's what in your area!! Are you going to try growing things?

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2021/12/4 15:17:22 )
Good morning everyone.
I see that the orbs were released last night - did you get any? What did you get from them if so?

┤▒├ Hangout with me! ┤▒├

Donator — She/Her Posted 2 years ago ( 2021/12/4 17:21:16 )

Questing :
Feline of Fertility | Doggo of Death | Draconic Dream | Garnet | Drip Drop Fairy | On Guard | Flutters Her Wings | Paints Her Webs | Capricorn| Unique High Loving Gaze | Lucky Neko | TransFURmation | Ghostly Treat | Soulcaster | Vampyr | Cheshire Cabaret | Untamed | Feline of Fertility | Doggo of Death | Corrupted Ichor | Fluers d&rsquo;espoir | His Elegance | Her Graceful Snow | Snow Owl | Bird Handler | Winter Stroll |

...ᘛ⁐̤ᕐᐷ @Wildfire: Yes the snow Melted. and came back and melted again. <:3( )~~

Star's Memory Jar | Star's Quest |Star's Runway | Shadow Realm Market
Pls Mention as i wander

Avi art is best gift

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2021/12/4 17:54:30 )

@Another Movie Addict: I tried to rewatch the anime earlier this year but I ended up dropping it x.x
Too many episodes....

Art DumpAvatar GalleryQuest Items

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.