Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat Do you think "Hell" is a swear word?

Voltie — They/Them Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/9 16:05:57 )
Do you personally think "Hell" is a swear word?

I think it's dumb to consider it a swear word. It's a fictional location like the Underworld in Greek Mythology or a city in the midwest with consistent weather. Saying "What the hell??" is on the same level as "What the mordor??" or something like that.

Donator — Frog bless Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/9 16:11:22 )

I suppose it depends on who you ask. Even if you consider using it in expressions like those listed above to be swearing, you can talk about Hell the place without it being considered a swear. I'm unsure if the origins are superstitious or what.

Donator — Frog bless Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/9 16:21:18 )

lol I use heck as a replacement for most swears.

Mallow Tumbleweed
My Sons

Donator — PomePome Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/9 17:05:32 )
No i dont think so why it should be?
~Pls Ping me~
Nothing fancy to see here!!!

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/9 18:06:40 )

i definitely don't lol
    i can understand people not liking it if they're deeply religious but i still think it's a OTT to call it a swear word.

a message i sent on an app censored the word damn the other day and i was just dumbfounded 😂

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/9 18:53:18 )

I don't see it as a swear word personally.
Like compare to many other swear words out there the word "hell" is not really that bad.

But that's just me
┐( ̄ヮ ̄)┌

Art DumpAvatar GalleryQuest Items

Donator — She/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/9 19:12:25 )

I would say yes? Because I thought if I would feel comfortable using it around my family or around people I don’t know and I wouldn’t want to use that word around them.

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

Voltie — She/They Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/9 19:28:09 )
I agree with you. To me it's just the name of a place, like California or Narnia
★~~Questing~~★

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/9 19:45:40 )

I was going to say 'no' but then I realised that I have a visceral reaction when I hear it so I guess I do consider it a swear....

currently: new novel who dis?

q u e s t i n g :
beanie doll! thank u cookie

Voltie — She/Her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/9 20:02:44 )

No I do not think of it as a swear word for those same reasons. Honestly people can be shouting pure gibberish and it can cause others to get uncomfortable due to a tone. The fact that a word gets classified as a swear, therefore labeled as "bad" on the word itself alone is silly. Many other factors come into play when it involves communication with other people such as context and tone.

Drawn by Q t e a p o n

Donator — Whatever Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/9 23:07:23 )
Are ya ready, guyz?!

See also: bitch
People see it as a curse word, but I guess they don't like being called a female dog?
Also means, I've noticed, massive whiner if you ignore the dog one

Put ya guns awn!

questShop

Donator — She/Her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/9 23:26:45 )
I don't personally, but then I curse a lot in everyday conversation.
However, I'll watch my language around those that I know will have a reaction or if I'm not sure if they'll have a reaction. Costs me nothing to censor myself.
Goodbye, Voltra.
Feel free to add me on Discord: aisu9811

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/9 23:44:16 )
I think any word can be a swear word based on your intent behind it.

If I call someone a brat, but I’m meaning it the same way I’d call someone a bitch, then it’s exactly the same thing.

On the flip side of that, I don’t think a word is a curse word if it is being used for the intended purpose. Example would be using Hell in reference to the place. But with any of those little 4 letter words, if they are used in the way they were meant to be used, then whatever.
Please ping! I get distracted easily.

Donator — - Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/10 06:57:49 )
Depends on context. If you're my kid and you tell me to go to hell, you're going to wish you were someone else's kid. If you're my kid and you tell me something is funny as hell, I'm probably going to be like, "yeah lol".

Voltie — Sha/female Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/10 07:33:41 )

Gatorlec:
Depends on context. If you're my kid and you tell me to go to hell, you're going to wish you were someone else's kid. If you're my kid and you tell me something is funny as hell, I'm probably going to be like, "yeah lol".

I've been reading through to see everyone's opinions and this is the one I most relate to.xD so beautifully put.

Basically I wasn't sure how I was going to explain my opinion because I'm not great with words. I was raised to see it as a swear word. Something impolite to use in conversation. It was always h e double hockey sticks (though .. that's capitalizing everything so really it should have been toothpicks or something) and even now I say "what the heck" because it just seems nicer in my head.

But I've also come to realize that as long as there is no maliciousness behind a word and it is used as more of an explanation/enthusiasm expander whatever, I will likely use the word. And as it goes hell isn't too on my list of words I need censored except as gator said "go to hell" but it's the phrase itself, not just the word.

Context is important for everything

Currently recovering from large amounts of PTSD. I'll post when I can, please ping for replies. Things are very difficult for me right now.

Donator — pancake Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/10 08:02:56 )
Personally, no.
But it was so engrained in me that it still feels and sounds like much, so I say heck a lot.

Voltie — they/them Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/12 08:38:43 )

No, I don't consider it a swear.

I think you can use it in an insulting manner, but that doesn't make it a swear.
Many words can be insulting depending on context.

please @ me if you want a response
art by blinkini

Donator — Fluffywuff Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/12 16:54:45 )
@grost: I don't consider Hell to be a curse word, at all.
If anything, to me, it is a place. A mythical one, at that.

I guess it could be a curse word... if you're 12. And have really religious parents?

That said, though, I probably wouldn't use it around really young children.
They love new words, and their parents would hate my guts for it. XD;; LOL

Oh my love, I know you are my candyman
And oh my love, let us fly to bounty land~~

Közi (“Kouji.”)
He/him

Donator — FluffyBoi Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/12 17:10:32 )
I don't use it much, but I don't consider it a curse word, especially since Spanish is the principal language here.
Lucifer's Pet

Voltie — she/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/13 02:27:40 )

I feel that it really comes down to what the person/s you're talking to believe in and how much you respect them (if you're talking to someone directly). If you don't believe in hell, the word might mean nothing to you personally, but to someone more religious in that area might find it more uncomfortable to hear it spoken carelessly. Usually depends on the context too and the individual's view points, obviously. But yeah, I wouldn't just blurt it out to anyone I'm talking to if I don't know how they'd feel. But to my religious bf who I know doesn't care, I say it a lot xd

But yeah, that's just my opinion and how I choose to use it. Everyone's different~
I am leaving Voltra
Find my links here

08 22 22

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.