Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Charities A Giveaway for Your Common Needs - Come hangout with us!

Donator Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/05/27 00:02:56 )
@Totalanimefan: Yeah! I can't wait. Fortunately I have one of the best decks in the format right now and as I learn my opponent's decks it'll get even better. I already know I'm solid against 4 of my opponents too, and I know one of the guys is playing a lock-type deck which means it's only really effective if you don't know what you're playing against. I've got a good feeling about Friday :D

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/05/27 00:25:30 )

@SorrowTheMad: What happens if you win?

Voltie — The Dude Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/05/27 00:35:01 )
Forgive, O Lord,
my little jokes on thee...

@totalanimefan: Oh! No, I didn't, when are they?

...and I'll forgive thy
great big one on me.

Donator Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/05/27 00:37:03 )
@Totalanimefan: You win a couple packs, depending on how many people are there (Each person pays in and it's worth a pack and a half to the prize pool, so 20-something people is about 30 packs or so, for example). But it's a Wizards run tournament so you get points with Wizards, which you can turn in for bigger prizes and perks, which can be a big goal of some people. It's how you're considered "pro" and a high enough point level will even get them to pay for you to attend events, since big time pros appearing = more people wanting to come and meet you. You could even end up in the hall of fame.

Granted, that's a little far fetched for just showing up to FNM, but it adds up. :)

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/05/27 00:43:44 )

@Colin: Yeah announced today.
Remakes are Nov 19th 2021 (I almost typed 2020, gosh I don't know what year it is anymore lol)
Arcues (sp?) is Jan 28th, 2022. ^^

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/05/27 00:46:24 )

@SorrowTheMad: Are you highly ranked? Do you have a lot of points?
I think that you will come away with a win rate good enough to win you some packs on Friday. ^^

I used to do the Yu-Gi-Oh Tournaments at Toys-R-Us (I know, I'm dating myself lol) and they would give you a free rare card for entering, like a Promo card, and then if you won 1st place I think you got another rare card and some packs. I think the highest I ever got was 5th place so I would only ever get the promo card from entering lol. I got my Buster Blader that way.

Donator Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/05/27 01:07:52 )
@Totalanimefan: Not really. You don't get too many points for just playing FNM, it's going to bigger events like PPTQs and RPTQs that are worth a lot more points. That's Pre-Pro Tour Qualifiers and Regional Pro Tour Qualifiers, in order of least to greatest difficulty and points earned. RPTQs can have like $20k+ in prizes though so it's definitely worth going to if you can, although since it's Regional you might have to travel out of state. And there's other events too run by big Magic companies like Star City Games which can get you a lot of points/money for winning.

A LONG time ago they had some pretty awesome perks for these events too. Special promos that you couldn't get except by entering (or getting top 16), there even used to be a perk where if you won a certain tournament you could design a card. Sometimes the cards were just so busted they were never legal, but one example of a card that DID make it into circulation is called Dark Confidant. The original art for it actually features the guy who designed it's face and we now lovingly call the card Bob after Bob Maher, the guy that won/helped design it. There's other perks, like borderless cards like this Cryptic Command. They've gotten rid of a lot of these perks over the years but it's still pretty cool :)

Voltie — The Dude Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/05/27 01:24:18 )
Forgive, O Lord,
my little jokes on thee...

@totalanimefan: Close, Arceus.

And I figured the remakes would be for the holiday season. But because they are so close to Xmas, I won't be getting one of them, myself. Because I know my parents are going to want ideas for a Christmas gift, so I'll tell them one of the remakes.

Probably Pearl.

Legends: Arceus, I'mma get on my own, though

...and I'll forgive thy
great big one on me.
"There is no shame in deterrence. Having a weapon is very different from actually using it." - Ghandi

Donator Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/05/27 02:02:48 )
@Totalanimefan: Sorry that was a LOT of info I crammed in there lol. Let's just say some of the Player perks are a part of the reason I jumped from Yugioh to Magic.

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/05/27 15:09:58 )

@SorrowTheMad: wow that’s awesome. Maybe you should compete in those! Oh and those card’s art is great. I really like the 1st one.
I didn’t think it was too much info. I have my long posts too lol. I can see why you whiched though.

@Colin: I remember how to spell its name in Japanese but not English lol but then that spelling normally causes me to spell it wrong in English. Lol
It makes a great gift. Maybe I should ask for Diamond for Christmas but get it on the day lol. My husband would do that for me.
As for when アルセウス comes out in January, lots of people are saying that’s too soon which is a thought that never crossed my mind. I mean January is a little unusual for games. They normally aim for holiday or spring but I would think the game will be done in time.

Donator Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/05/27 19:33:30 )
@Totalanimefan: I totally would! But most of the time they're a distance away and happen from Friday (aka a work day) to Sunday, which doesn't give me a lot of time to get ready for work the next day. Not to mention hotels (since most of the time they happen in Minneapolis or St. Paul, which are several hours away). I think the SCGs go on for an entire week at a time too. But yeah, I'd love to be a tournament grinder. You can actually make a living off of it. I really like both of the cards I posted since I used to play a deck with Bob in it, and I currently play a deck with Cryptic Command in it (and I have a full set of the textless version like I posted :D ).

I should check out what Planeswalker Points get you anymore, since they got rid of a lot of the awesome older perks.

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/05/27 19:43:39 )

@SorrowTheMad: Are there any in NC close to where you could be living? Maybe there is one that would be a day trip away instead of something where you would have to get a hotel. Does Ruby play? It could be a cute date weekend if you did make a trip out of it. (Like to Minneapolis). ^^

Donator Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/05/27 19:50:21 )
@Totalanimefan: I am trying to teach her lol. She's like me though where she wants to understand all the cards though so it makes her anxious not knowing what the tens of thousands of cards do. We'll work on it though, but I'd love to go with her to something like that :D I'm sure there will be something a lot closer in NC though.

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/05/27 20:05:16 )

@SorrowTheMad: Tell her it's ok to start with the basics and work your way up.
Is there a mobile game or video game that could teach her how to play?

Donator Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/05/27 20:18:37 )
@Totalanimefan: Yeah, Arena is pretty good for beginners, and I have a couple Welcome Decks which are made to welcome new players to the game with simple mechanics :)

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/05/27 20:34:28 )

@SorrowTheMad: I always like the welcome decks. They should you what a balanced deck should look like and helps you learn the rules. I'm sure it's also hard to learn when your teacher is through video call.

Donator Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/05/27 20:38:17 )
@Totalanimefan: Well the couple games we've played together were in person actually, but yeah it is difficult to play otherwise lol. Hopefully we'll be together again soon and be able to play all of the games together. She wants to play Borderlands with me, I want to play God of War and AC: Valhalla with her, and a bunch of tabletop games too :)

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/05/27 21:04:51 )

@SorrowTheMad: Those are good video games too. Do you have a PS4 or 5?

Donator Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/05/27 21:07:06 )
@Totalanimefan: Just a 3 & 4, although with God of War: Ragnarok happening soon I'll need a PS5. FML just when I'd decided I wasn't going to get one, Ragnarok got announced.

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/05/27 21:10:24 )

@SorrowTheMad: RIP your wallet. But if you save up for it now you should be able to afford it by the time the game comes out!
Maybe trade in your PS4 towards it too?

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.