Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Hangouts How do you want to do this? [Critical Role and DnD hangout.]

Voltie — Princess Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/9 19:57:00 )

Hey level 14 is pretty high! My highest is 7 I think. What kind of sorceress did you take?

Donator — She/Crazy Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/9 20:05:25 )

Kiwi\'s Posting Contest / Unicorn\'s Posting Contest
(with a referral contest too!)

She was a dragon blood lineage sorceress elf who specialized in fire moves.
She once burned down an entire village of bullywogs.

Voltie — Princess Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/9 20:11:10 )

Wow! Thats awesome! how many members were in your party?

Donator — she/they Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/10 05:08:33 )

@Saeyra: Yeah, you're right. Those are some of the more noticeable issues with 5e, but it allows plenty of room for modification from the DMs (which I think is nice). Pathfinder is a really good inbetween for people who are just learning about role playing games but are also savvy enough to juggle all the extra information.

EDIT: As for characters, in Pathfinder I played a Ratfolk Gunslinger (Gulchgunner) named Tikka "Tik Tok" Tokklik who loved shiny things (and she had a really cute high pitched voice). She melted down her gold and turned it into jewelry (essentially wearing her wealth). My last DnD character was a Mousefolk Bard named Lola of the Softpaws. She was only 1.5 feet tall, spoke eloquently, and - for all she knew - was an orphan. (Her parents were resistance fighters.)

EDIT AGAIN TO ADD PICS:

@dragoness129: That's life!

Voltie — Princess Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/10 05:23:39 )

@Bloo: Yeah its great if you have a good DM buuut some don't really stray too far from the rules for fear of unbalancing the game and it can get kinda stale. Haha I see you seem to love all the mousie types! I once made a catfolk character. She can turn into a housecat at will. She is an arcane trickster, rogue I never got to play her but I keep her for a rainy day.

Voltie — Princess Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/10 05:24:30 )

omg your art is pretty awesome!

Donator — she/they Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/10 05:45:13 )

@Saeyra: That's fair enough. Aren't their premade weapon and armor sets that DMs can use? I guess people would to do some digging to find those, tho. o:

And thanks! I do love the little mouse-types - or any race of small stature. I'm going to try and play a human or some such this next time around, tho. I really want to try playing something I don't normally do.
A reminder to drink water and take your vitamins.

QUEST

Voltie Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/10 08:37:45 )
Heyooo I have come to check out this hangout! I'm relatively inexperienced when it comes to DnD but I'm reading up on stuff from time to time and familiarizing myself with its mechanics! So far I've made 11 characters, 5 of which I'm using in a story (with one of those 4 being my main character) and the rest being exercises in what I could come up with.

Material from both official and homebrew sources are quite expansive...

Voltie — Princess Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/10 13:01:40 )

@Bloo: oh there are lots. I think a good idea might be assembling the armor via questing for them piece by piece like in video games and let the ac and other things only activate when its a complete set. To play better with 5e rules. And just throw the attunement stuff in the garbage XD BE A GOLIATH!! Haha

@KreitzeN: oof that's alot of characters! But it never hurts to have an army of spares in case your team gets wiped. Yeah it's a daunting task to read everything but if you just read abit at a time you will get through it all eventually. If you have any questions you can always ask in this hangout and we'll be happy to try to explain it to you. Or if you want to you can just chat about new stuff you have read.

Voltie — cat Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/10 13:12:58 )
Wow there are so many episodes of this thing! I don't know if I could even watch them all! Haha.

I've never actually played DnD before, I was supposed to join some games before and learn to play, but it's never panned out with some friends. My boyfriend got into a good group though, so my interest is back. Hope I'm still welcome here, as a newbie? :'D

~ meow

Voltie — Princess Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/10 13:43:17 )

@button: oh definitely! I suggest you start watching season 2 since their production quality is much better and it's alot less episodes. Plus you can enjoy the hype and story with everyone when you finally catch up. Don't worry they don't have many inside jokes from the first season.

You are most definitely welcome to join in and chat with us about DnD! If you have any questions or want to discuss aspects of the game it would be my pleasure to chat with you about it. I know it's a pretty complex game so I am happy to help out where I can.

Voltie — cat Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/10 13:52:25 )
@Saeyra: Will I miss much from season 1 if I skip to season 2? So far I'm really enjoying it, it's really funny. Haha. :3

Also thank you! I honestly don't know much of anything, and a lot of guides are just.. confusing, which is why I was trying to get into a game with friends, they were going to do a 'teaching' game or something like that.

I think one of them was pathfinder, and I was going to be.. a summoner I think. My character was pretty cool, but then it fell through before it began. :(

~ meow

Donator — She/Crazy Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/10 14:31:23 )

Saeyra - We were a party of four.

Bloo - Those characters look awesome!

Kreitzen - Nice! Sounds like a good number of characters!
I do love to make a lot of different ones myself. You can just add so many different personalities to them all!

Button - I am sure all players of any range of interest and experience are welcomed! ^_^

Voltie Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/10 14:34:00 )
@Saeyra: Yep. Even had fun making an alternate universe version of my main character (in case my main dies as she's had quite a few close calls). I still have to give most of them a backstory though...

I'm reading through stuff bit by bit...friend of mine got me a lot of material and the internet has the rest. I'll be sure to ask stuff here as well if something bamboozles me though!

On another note, I've yet to check out Critical Role. I'll try to put in the time for that soon-ish! There's so much I need to do...

@button: Oh and hello! Nice to see another joining the hangout!

And yep dragoness, the possibilities are practically endless as to what kind of characters you can make. One of the things I just love about DnD!

Donator — She/Crazy Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/10 14:36:57 )

Yes! And I have been told that I can RP a lot of different personality types really well.
It's just awesome all around!

Voltie — Princess Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/10 15:15:37 )

@button: Nah you wont miss much because they start completely new characters and new story for season 2. Aww yeah its abit hard to get through all the reading material, but I think if you pick a race and class you want to play and just read stuff pertaining to that it might be easier? That is how I started.

@KreitzeN: oof yeah backstories are usually what take the most time for me. This generator helped me alot with my current character and I hope it will help you linkie. And like I recommended earlier if you are gonna start watching critical role, start with season 2. You wont miss much.

@rallaa: Pinging you here in case you wanna talk DnD and find people to play the forum version of DnD you made :)

@Millet: Look, shiny new hangout for DnD!!!

Voltie — cat Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/10 15:20:53 )
dragoness129:
Oh that makes me happy yay! x3

@KreitzeN: Yay hi hi!

@Saeyra: Ah okay! I'll go to season 2 then, maybe once I catch up I'll check out season 1 in free times. I'm really enjoying it so far!
Yeah, that's what I did, read up about my character and the characters I was gonna play with. The thing is I can't ever seem to find a game that's actually going to start who would be willing to help me learn. =_= My bf found one irl, but its part of his "guys night" so I can't join in, sigh.

~ meow

Voltie — Princess Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/10 15:38:26 )

@button: oh really? that sucks. Your bf is mean he should let you join haha. Okay, so how I found my DnD group was I joined a bunch of Discord servers that have lots of people trying to set up games. I had a hard time because most people play on US timezones and I am in Europe but I finally found a European discord server and I am a happy bunny. I can recommend you a few discord servers if you want to try your luck that way. There is also a website called Roll20 that also has some matchmaking if you don't mind playing online.

Voltie — cat Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/10 15:41:20 )
@Saeyra: Yeah, but I mean, I get it. We live together and he wants some time with his friends on his own, and they wanna spend time away from their SOs with their friends too. It'd be nice if they could do two different games, but they only have one DM who knows what they're doing, I think it might be hard for him to keep track of two at the same time. Hopefully I might be able to join a different game..

Oooh, yeah, that sounds neat! I'm really shy so I'd probably just lurk the servers for a little bit before talking.

~ meow

beautiful art by littlewhitedragonlet

Voltie — Princess Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/10 15:55:21 )

@button: These ones I am linking to you have super high traffic so you are bound to find a game. Don't be shy haha how it works is people post adverts and if you are interested you send them a PM and talk further. I wish you all the luck in the world! I hope you find a good group!

Tabletop Gaming (USA)
The Tavern (USA)
European Timezone Server

Always ping me please.

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.