Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Hangouts How do you want to do this? [Critical Role and DnD hangout.]

Voltie — Princess Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/11 15:31:59 )

@KreitzeN: In my current campaign we are all melee characters, I am a dual-wielding shortswords ranger, we have a barbarian, cleric and a hexblade warlock XD we go unconscious so often. Especially me XD

Oh I am excited to see your chars!

Voltie Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/11 15:58:53 )
@Saeyra: In mine we've got...

- 2 Sorcerers (one who almost killed me repeatedly because his Twinned Firebolt misses at least once every cast)
- a Summoner (who upon our first meeting actually missed 2 point-blank attacks against me, that was wicked)
- a Rogue (whose most noteworthy trait is her unhealthy fixation on young women)
- a Cleric (who has the potential to kill me with her Sacred Flame and is a small catgirl in heavy armor)
- a dual-wielding Fighter (who is an alcoholic human-shaped gas bag)
- and me, the Vampire (who has been branded a semi-nudist due to her scant clothing. She has an unarmored bonus feat...also the DM really wants to do things to her which has led to some laughs).

I could've gone spellcaster as per one of her "Vampiric Paths" (spellcasting from the Wizard tree or stealth) but I opted for the latter. We had enough spellcasters xD

It seems like a big party but that's only because some of us aren't online when the sessions start

Voltie — Princess Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/11 16:42:27 )

@KreitzeN: ooof magic heavy team. Sounds like fun! Magic is more versatile honestly. But I really like the idea of an all melee team jumping into combat. Dude we have literally completed 0 stealth missions successfully. One of us on the team ALWAYS rolls a natural 1 haha we got captured by enemies twice already and stealing things never goes well. We are probably the least optimized team that has ever teamed.

Voltie — HIM Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/11 16:44:35 )
You gotta @Mention me.

@Saeyra: You're a ranger though, right?
You should get access to Pass Without Trace spell eventually.

Join the Horde. We have bananas. 🍌

Voltie — Princess Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/11 16:48:33 )

@Rallaa: Yeah I did take it but I have very few spell slots and it only lasts an hour. Even with pass without a trace if you roll a natural 1 it will only be an 11 which may not pass the DC to go unnoticed.

Voltie — HIM Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/11 17:03:49 )
You gotta @Mention me.

Oh yeah, right.
I forgot about the nat 1 part.

I'd recommend making loud plans then.

Rather than trying to sneak in and putting yourselves out of position within enemy territories,
make big distractions to lure them away, and try to go in for smash and grabs.

Voltie — Princess Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/11 17:16:14 )

@Rallaa: Yeah we have a cleric in full plate so he has disadvantage. One time he literally rolled a natural 20 and natural 1, he had to take the 1 haha.
Yeah we are more the brute force kinda team but we like to believe we will succeed at stealth missions one day!!

Voltie — HIM Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/11 17:21:25 )
You gotta @Mention me.

@Saeyra: Could try to do stealth through social too.
Sneak in under false pretense.
Your warlock could sweet talk your way into places maybe.

Voltie — Princess Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/11 17:36:46 )

@Rallaa: Our warlock is hilarious. He has the highest charisma but he is super shy and he is a Duergar which makes him...disliked to say the least. I imagine him to be insanely handsome thats why his charisma is so high. We do try to include him in conversations with NPCs but he is so awkward because he is kinda an outcast from both his own people and people-people.

Voltie — cat Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/11 17:43:24 )
Man I am really loving this series, it's so hilarious. I'm on episode 3 so far of season 2. :D xD

~ meow

Voltie — HIM Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/11 18:44:45 )
You gotta @Mention me.

@button: Critical Role is great.
It's cool that it's getting people into DnD.

The only problem is that it can set up unfair expectations of 'what DnD should be like.'
Some people get stuck on that and end up feeling like their experience was wrong because it was different from how Critical Role works.
Some DMs who watch it want bard players to be like Sam Riegal, and players want their DMs to be Matt Mercer.
They're actors by trade, so they're just really good at roleplaying, and Matt Mercer has been DMing and working on his homemade world for years and years.

Voltie — cat Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/11 19:08:44 )
@Rallaa: Ah yeah, I can see how it can give people the wrong idea.

I was talking to the bf about critical roll yesterday, he said his dnd buddies showed it to him but theyre ruining it for him and he doesn't wanna give it another shot. He is having problems with his group right now, beacause the DM want everyone to do voices like critical roll and get super into it, and some people don't want to do it because it makes them feel weird (my bf is one of them). It's caused a few arguments, for whatever reason, I asked why and he shrugged. It's.. weird.

~ meow

beautiful art by littlewhitedragonlet

Voltie — HIM Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/11 19:38:21 )
You gotta @Mention me.

@button: Yep. See, that's exactly it.
If players want to do that themselves, it's great.
But it's just the mark of a poor DM, if they want to enforce that on everyone.

Just last night I was talking to a friend who says she'd finally found a local group, but the DM is getting on her nerves because he requires everyone to 'always speak in character', and whenever she uses her bard spell Vicious Mockery, he requires that she say some kind of insult on the spot.
So she made herself a prewritten list and is hoping that will get him off her back.

The smarty-pants character that another person is playing can just use their stats to roll like normal, and doesn't actually have to be a smart player.
Yet she is being forced to her use her actual charisma as a player and come up with quips on the spot.

I just told her that she shouldn't force herself to play with people that are going to grate on her, or place unfair expectations upon her, because it's only gonna make her dislike the game.

Donator — She/Her Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/11 20:51:59 )
Millet, spilling the tea:

(randomly jumping in, haven't read recent convo xD)
I do not follow Critical Roll, but am a big tabletop junkie.
For D&D however, I'm only familiar with 3.5e - tried 4e wasn't a fan. Haven't tried 5e yet as none of my friends own 5.
I'm pretty up to date with Pathfinder editions though! (I think?)

Voltie — Princess Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/11 20:58:15 )

@Millet: Ah! Finally you made it!! Welcome!! (I pinged you earlier but I think it didn't work)
Do you not like critical role or have you just never watched it?
Share with us your stories! Whats your party like?

Voltie — HIM Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/11 21:31:35 )
You gotta @Mention me.

@Millet: If you're the type of person that enjoys the many interlacing rules and options of 3.5 and pathfinder, then DnD 5e might feel dumbed down for you.
It makes things a lot simpler so it's easier for newbies though.

To the annoyance of some though, this simpler edition means that some things that they might run across, either have no rules mentioned about them, or are very vague.

Donator — She/Her Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/11 21:56:26 )

@Saeyra: Just never watched it. I’ve heard of it for sure (they run reference sites, no?) but wasn’t aware it was a ongoing show of sorts. I’d check it out. ☺

And oh ho man. So many stories. So many campaigns. (this present one I am in has been the longest one.) Let me think….I’ll tell one story for each of my favorite characters that I’ve played.

Midori, Elven barbarian adopted and raised by dwarves. She didn’t find out until she was an adult that she was adopted and isn’t actually a dwarf. Has a denial crisis (Low INT and Low WIS). Sets out on a journey to find her parents while still trying to convince the public she is a dwarf. (Hilariously sometimes it worked because her Charisma was super high and she bluffed a lot baha but she was just convincing people she had a severe dwarved genetic disorder…..

Our party was dirt broke after messing up varying checks and getting robbed.
Desperate, we thought our DM was being a nice guy when a hooded man appeared to us in town offering to split a donation. He said he just won the local lottery and felt generous. (Too good to be true but we failed deception check so wheeeeee money). He handed us a leather bag and a note, and told us to just turn both in to the clerk at the bank and we would split the money outside.

Sure enough, we went in. Gave the note bag and a smile and told the clerk we had fortune smiling on us. She loaded the bag with lots o’ gold and we left perky. Gave the hooded halfing half and were gracious. He bowed out and booked it. And while we dilly dallied in town trying to spend our money- the guards came and arrested us.

Turns out the note was a threat that we’d behead them and burn the place down if she didn’t load the bag with gold. Ha.

So not only were we broke, now our good aligned idiots were criminals with fines and unpleasant jail time- jerked around by the same guy that robbed us and the only reason we made it okay is the guards accepted my bluff check (which was the truth, I wasn’t actually bluffing. Thank god for charisma.)

Peregrin, human monk with schizophrenia.

I had an awesome artifact I snagged after the party slayed a Gold dragon.
“Staff of Command” my identifying roll was “meh” so I was told what it does but not how to use it. It can control people in a certain radius for about 3 minutes. (which sounds short but in D&D rounds that’s a long time)

Well, our stupid narcissistic bard wanting to be praised sang and announced joyfully that we slayed the dragon that was near town and oh look. Guess this town worshipped the dragon. So an angry mob was very quickly coming at us when the rogues bluff check failed to deny it. Sounds like a good opportunity for staff of command huh?

I didn’t know how to fucking use it.

So while being mauled by the crowd and my teammates shouting at me “USE THE STAFF! THE STAFF PEREGRIN! THE STUPID STAFF!” I’m like

“STAFF OF COMMAND I COMMAND YOU TO WORK”

(failed percentages check to see if I got lucky and figured it out. Heh)

Thrown in jail, their warmage leader took the staff became a crazy dictator in the dragons place.
became a long drawn out side quest to get the staff back and bring back balance and make up for killing their “deity” (the dragon was genuinely a dick so IDK what their problem was.)

Eventually won.

Got the staff back.

Failed the check again.
(which was bogus because we saw him use it so my character should have picked up on by watching him but nooooo DM gotta be pickyyyyy)

Sold that shit.

Acrimonia AKA Momo, Tiefling Rogue and Impulse liar. PRESENT CAMPAIGN, my utmost favorite character. We are level 21.

Were told of a guarded treasure- an ancient wizard hides in a cave.
Seems legit.

There is piles of bodies throughout the cave, people trying to find this legendary treasure. I was able with my “rogueness” to deactivate all the traps and such, our party split up to search for it. Tagging along with me our human fighter.

At this time in the game, our characters were not close knit yet. We bickered al ot. All of us are evil aligned.

Me and the Fighter come across the treasure.
He, being rude was like “Well are you going to do your friggin job or not?” and she shoves me forward to go check for traps and such.

Momo don’t take shit so swiped her tail from the ground to kick dirt up in his eyes and had a small tantrum refusing to check the chest unless he apologized.

We spent a couple rounds bickering back and forth until he finally apologized (shittily but hey at level 21 we are lovers now so whatev’s)

As momo crouched to check a whisper in the wind came and only she could hear it:

”Mistreat you too huh? Watching that was upsetting. I’ll give you some information. That chest as you can see is trapped. You cannot deactivate that trap though. It’s set from the inside. Notice all the blaken char on the walls? (momo notices) This chest blows up every time someone opens it. The jewels inside are resistant. The wizard who owns this chest gets alerted the minute he blows and shows up within four minutes to rob the person who tried to steal (if anything such as gold remained) and adds it to the rigged chest he reconstructs.”

Momo- is a impulsive liar. She doesn’t stop lying until she likes and feels comfortable with someone. So I rolled percentiles if I roll 51 or higher, I tell the truth.

If I roll 50 or lower I lie. And the lower I roll the bigger the lie.

I rolled a 12. RIP

My teammate IRL did not see what I rolled I always keep that masked.
I even try to do it quickly so they don’t know when I roll- and I just wink at the DM to let him peek at my corner and see what I rolled.

“The chest is trapped and rogue proof. Only a figher can open it, but he has to do it standing on one leg.”

“Why??”

“Beeeeecasue this chest is meant for the Wizards long lost brother…who only has one leg and is a fighter and it will only open under those preequistes. “

The funny part is IRL the actual player didn’t suspect anything at all. He bought it.
He and his character in harmony of my lie. Lmao

So he hops over to open it up.

BOOM.

KO’d

I ready my weapon though because obviously that voice came from somewhere.

A tiefling came down from a crawlspace in the ceiling holding his hands up.

He was like “Hey, just a fellow tiefling struggling in this stupid rascist world.
I’ll split it with ya but you better have a way to escape before the wizard comes. He’s like ten levels higher than the both of us.”

I did a deception check, he was telling the truth.

An evil character may have tried to duke it out but Momo is intelligent, she knows if he’s telling the truth that wizard will be here soon and reck us- and that means prize for anyone then.

We split it perfectly down the middle. He teleports out.

my party shows up to the boom I use the teleport scroll on all of us.

And they all bought my bluff. I convinced the figher that he wasn’t hopping accurately enough. /dead

IRL the DM was like “lol so here is what actually happened”
(because the whisper in the wind was written on a piece of paper to me so no one else could read it xD)

and when they asked how I could afford such badass mithrill armor with a 12 to hide checks I told them I convinced the shop keeper it was a fake.

Got away with it. ~

Donator — She/Her Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/11 21:58:37 )

@Rallaa: Yeah that is exactly what I heard. I favor 3.5 mostly because I am used to it.
And I also really really like updating the character sheets each level with all the details. lol

I wouldn't mind doing five though, so long as the DM ruled it well.

Most games I am the DM but I've taken a break from it as I prefer to write my own stories rather than using the other scenarios.
And that can take me weeks and weeks of development to do. Don't have much time for that anymore!

Voltie — Princess Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/11 23:21:15 )

@Millet: Oh definitely check out crit role! Never met anyone who hates it yet! They play 5e but they have a really good DM so it doesn't feel lacking.

Thanks for sharing your stories! I have played 3.5e on PC games and yeah leveling is always so fun! Leveling is a huge disappointment in 5e.

Always ping me please.

Voltie — HIM Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/11 23:23:16 )
You gotta @Mention me.

@Saeyra: Why is it disappointing in 5e?
Sure you get some slightly boring levels, but you always get something.
With spellcasters it's mostly just new spell levels though.

Wardrobe/Art Collection

Art by kiwi

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.