Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Hangouts How do you want to do this? [Critical Role and DnD hangout.]

Voltie — Princess Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/11 23:40:15 )

@Rallaa: I guess there isnt much room for customization. Besides spells for spellcasters you don't have much choice in what direction you want to specialize and add random quirks. Feats are also difficult to justify since you have to give up stats. (which you didnt have to in 3.5e) It cuts down customization quite abit. Feats were a super fun thing to play around with to make your character more unique. They kinda put most of the feats into the class and you get it automatically when you level but that removes the power of choice we used to have. Once you pick an archetype you are kinda locked into the entire tree of their skills forever.

Voltie — HIM Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/11 23:52:22 )
You gotta @Mention me.

Aaah, yeah.
I see what you mean.
That is one thing I'm kinda bummed about.
But the upside of that is that character creation becomes tons simpler and makes the game more accessible to newbies.

My current DM just always grants a free starting feat, and likes to give feats or 'feat-like' boons to us as rewards after a big story arc.

Perhaps you could ask your 5e DM about making opportunities to receive things like that.
Like maybe use the downtime training system as a way to gain a skill-feat, or something like that.

Join the Horde. We have bananas. 🍌

Voltie — Princess Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/12 00:12:49 )

@Rallaa: Yeah not to mention you cannot choose "when" you wanna take your class feats. And if we wanted a feat that was given to another class we'd need to multiclass too which is not too bad because you get most class related stuff at level 1 and 3. I just wish we didnt have to.

Yeah your DM has the right idea I think. My DM is sorta doing the same, using RP to fill in the gaps in this edition. He is allowing me to train the dual-wielding feat under a teacher. :vanora_smile:

Voltie — HIM Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/12 00:25:48 )
You gotta @Mention me.

Yeah, his condition is that he gets to approve or deny the starting feat we choose.
So we don't go for the really strong stuff like Sharpshooter and Great Weapon Master.

With the characters we started recently, he also gave us all the Magic Initiate feat, in addition to our choice of free starting feat.
The idea being that, in his world, magic is a lot more widespread, so most people know at least couple cantrips.

Voltie — Princess Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/12 00:30:39 )

@Rallaa: Yeah thats cool! I had this DM who gave us each a starting item that we designed specifically to fit our character. Gave us a small buff but not too much to unbalance the game. Still, it made my character feel unique and not JUST another adventurer.

Voltie — HIM Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/12 01:07:30 )
You gotta @Mention me.

I think that it's possible to have unique feeling characters without having a ton of options though.
It comes down to the backstory you come up with for them, how you 'act' with them, and how you choose to 'play' them.
So it's possible for two character to be identical on paper and still feel different enough.

Though if it's the 'identical on paper' part that bothers you, I guess there isn't much you can do with what they give you.
The only option is house-rules like we mentioned before.

Voltie — Princess Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/12 01:24:57 )

@Rallaa: Yeah its true RP can make a huge difference in characters but its nice to have some mechanics to back it up. With 5e they pretty much make most things stand on RP and DM house rules. While for experienced RPers like the crit role cast that may be enough, for some people who like playing it slightly more like a "game" because they aren't that good at RP it may be lacking. And I think those people might prefer pathfinder or 3.5e.

Voltie Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/13 04:55:23 )
@Saeyra: A good balance of storytelling and mechanics would be nice. I started with 5e
Is there really that big iof a difference between 3.5e and 5e? I'm liking 5e so far because of the storytelling potential it has. I wouldn't describe myself as much of an "experienced RPer" in any way xD

Voltie — HIM Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/13 07:58:07 )
You gotta @Mention me.

Wanted to share this story.
The GameMaster Mommy
It's a greentext and 4chan discussion, in the form of an imgur album.

Voltie — Princess Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/13 16:06:00 )

@KreitzeN: Yeah the mechanics are quite abit more complex in 3.5e and it turned alot of people off from playing it because there was alot of math and stats involved. Starting with 5e is ideal, I did too. But sometimes when your DM doesn't kinda expand on the 5e rules it can feel abit constrained. There are ways you can make 5e feel more complex by borrowing from previous editions. But I think some DMs are afraid to do it because it can unbalance the game.

3.5e is definitely not perfect, spellcasters used to spiral out of control in terms of power and the melee classes got left behind but a good mix of 3.5 and 5 would be perfect for me :vanora_smile:

Voltie — Princess Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/13 16:16:58 )

@Rallaa: Omg! I love that story!! I want moooore. Does she teach them to drive and other things as well?! I love her so much. Can't say I wouldn't be the same. I wanna hear the end of the story so bad.

Voltie — HIM Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/13 19:16:29 )
You gotta @Mention me.

@Saeyra: Don't think there is anymore, really.
idk if it was in the screenshots, but I heard she gets them to do karaoke nights with her too.

Voltie — Princess Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/13 19:18:10 )

@Rallaa: Wow! I love her even more haha. I wanna find this woman and make her my friend!

Voltie Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/13 19:53:21 )
Hello, hangout!

Was referred here from my intro post. Just wanted to pop in. I've played D&D 3.5 a couple years ago and am in a 5e campaign right now. I'm enjoying it a lot and things do seem to have been streamlined quite a bit compared to older editions. Since I'm a bit late to the hangout, are you guys in any tabletop campaigns at the moment?

Voltie — HIM Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/13 20:42:03 )
You gotta @Mention me.

@meba: I play with an online group. We started a new game right before christmas season.
Had to put it on hold after the first two sessions, until last week.

I'm playing a half-orc paladin that worships a goddess or beauty, art, and fertility.
He's traveling for wanderlust, and to protect the natural beauty of the world where he can.
And also spread life and beauty in his own way, along the way.

Voltie — Princess Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/13 21:14:40 )

@meba: Welcome! What kinda character are you playing? Sorry about my rant up there, its probably my DMs fault that I am feeling cramped in 5e. He is a huge stickler for the rules and doesn't like adding new stuff.

I am playing in an online group as well. 5e. We play once a week and have been going on for about 8 months now. We play over discord and Roll20. I am a wood elf revised-ranger that uses 2 shortswords and is a beastmaster. I have a wolf named Ash Mane that rolls probably the most crits in the game haha. He is a BEAST! ...literally...

If you are having trouble finding a group I can recommend some discord servers that might help

Voltie Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/14 11:56:13 )
@Rallaa: That was such a cute story! It's good to see a group that actually gets focused too. Goodness knows how easy it is to go off-tangent...

I managed to draw 4 of my 11 characters last night. I had actually lost track of time while doing this and of course they're subject to change, but I hope to digitize this within the week. Maybe add some color or tweaks with their respective designs.

@Saeyra: I'm currently playing the one in the far right, Cerise Caligari (though her last name is not mentioned). I'm a Vampire who specializes in sneak attacks and stealth, grappling and keeping my health up with my bite attack. I have a feat that lets me mark a target and inflict bonus damage to it on hit, after which I usually either throw my special tri-bladed knife at it or execute an unarmed attack (then grapple, then a stab n' bite combo in the next turn).

Tabitha, Johnathan and Cerise Rotroselia are characters appearing in something I'm working on called "The Black Rose Incident", a story wherein Johnathan the Fighter and his Cleric companion Tabitha are sent by their order to investigate a remote fortress that has gone mysteriously silent. It's taking a while as I'm using dice to determine the outcome of certain events and transforming the result into paragraphs

Which reminds me that I need to make a cover for that and also tweak their outfits...

Voltie — Princess Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/14 14:17:22 )

@KreitzeN: Oooh I love their designs! Also your vampire sounds super fun to play. Did you have close calls where you nearly died? My character travels with 2 people who can heal so she gets knocked unconscious and gets back up alot haha. I dont really know how to roleplay that. "I get knocked down, but I get up again, nobody's gonna keep me down...oooh danny boooyyyy"

Always ping me please.

Voltie Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/14 15:04:45 )
@Saeyra: Thanks! I haven't drawn in quite a while but I'm glad to know you like 'em! As for close calls yes, I've definitely had those!

Let's see...during my second session, our Summoner used Arms of Hadar while I was close to the final boss of our quest (some kind of undead creature in a haunted mansion) and I managed to dodge the first time around. I had missed two of my initial knife throws so I went close-range. So the Summoner uses that spell twice more, each time hitting me and reducing me to around 3 HP.

Thankfully we still got to kill the thing and I got more feats and improvements afterwards. That thing got reduced to ash by our pyromaniacal arsonist of a half-demon Sorcerer (who also almost burned down the house).

After that one there was the incident while my party was fighting a group of stronger-than-usual Giant Centipedes. This time it wasn't the enemies who got me, oh no...it was the pyromaniac Sorcerer. Somehow he had missed one of his Twinned Firebolts and it hit me. That got me straight unconscious and I was saved by the Summoner growing healing mushrooms from her body (something from the Grogs of Substantial Whimsy we all drank earlier) and the other Sorcerer whacking me 300 times with the Healing Stick he got for the haunted mansion quest.

The most recent one was when we were fighting against a Giant Slime. Everything seemed to go well though I did get my knives stuck in the thing and unfortunately I couldn't use the bloodsucking feat on it...but the fight was going well though it did grab the other Sorcerer...then it grabbed me. The Sorcerer got away but I was stuck in it, dealing damage to me and melting my leather straps off (leaving me with a slowly melting cape). Fortunately the Giant Slime's own health had been reduced significantly and I hit its core and killed it before it could get me to 0.

The DM really liked that encounter. The roleplaying was fun tho

Voltie — HIM Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/14 15:59:28 )
You gotta @Mention me.

@Saeyra: Your DM could use the optional injury rules.
You get lingering injuries when you get knocked unconcious.
Though the rules and table that WoTC gives is a bit bad imo.

My DM is gonna use a homebrew table of injuries, and we get one free knock down. After that, we're gonna take injuries that go up in severity the more we get knocked down in a fight.

Wardrobe/Art Collection

Art by kiwi

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.