Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Hangouts ┤▒├ Wildfire's World ┤▒├ All welcome, all the time - come say Hi!

Donator — She/Her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/07/4 19:38:31 )
@Wildfire: Right? I love me a good chicken sammich lol.

I'm doing well though. Went out to breakfast with my mom and my son, then got my iced coffee and did a quick grocery run with her. Going to meet up with her and the rest of my immediate family this afternoon for a cookout and fireworks at her place (weather permitting) so looking forward to that.

How about you?

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/07/4 19:42:33 )
@Aisukohi: We're just chillin' today. Hubby and elder son made a trip to my mom's earlier to help her with something, then hubby grilled up a bunch of stuff (too much, really) and we're just kind of putzing around right now. I think we're subconsciously waiting for the neighbors to start setting off fireworks later, and anticipating having to deal with the dogs (they're real 'fraidy cats). It's nice seeing the sun out, and part of me would love to go out and enjoy it, but I'm really tired of sweating... so... I dunno. It's a mellow day. I think I need a mellow day, tbh.

Donator — She/Her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/07/4 19:46:58 )
@Wildfire: Mellow days are always nice, especially if it's a holiday! I always love grilling season, so looking forward to the food lol. What all do you have?

And sorry about your dogs. I've only lived in neighborhoods where fireworks weren't really permitted, so not sure how my cats would react. Of course, we can always hear fireworks off somewhere in the distance, but they're too far to tell if they care for them or not.

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/07/4 19:52:30 )
@Aisukohi: hubby grilled burgers, cheesy beer brats, zucchini, portobello mushroom slices, corn on the cob, small sweet bell peppers ... and I think that's it. But for the three of us who are home ATM, it's a lot. And I made kinpura (celery, bell pepper, and an experiment with brussel sprouts)...

Yeah, July 4th and the neighbors setting off fireworks is why my dogs (at least one of them - the other takes his cues from her /eyeroll/) are so freaked out about loud noises, actually...

Donator — She/Her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/07/4 19:56:00 )
@Wildfire: Ooh, I don't think I've ever tried grilled zucchini, but I've been meaning to try grilled portobellos. I looove the taste of grilled corn though, but don't have it often enough. I like brussel sprouts too, but haven't had them in ages.

Aww, poor babies. Do you give them anything to calm them, or do they have a "safe place" to go to?

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/07/4 20:10:21 )
@Aisukohi: the dogs have Thundershirts, hemp calming treats, and whatever closet or other dark enclosed space they want when they're freaked out... but I really hate to see them go to that mental/emotional/psychological place! We do what we can (without coddling and thus encouraging the behavior) but it's rough...

I just slice the zucchini in half and hubby tosses it on the grill with a little oil. It's really easy and really good! :3 And portobellos are fantastic on the grill. I like them marinated in a little balsamic vinegar & olive oil (+ S&P and maybe some thyme) before they are grilled, but even without doing that, there's something about putting them on the grill that just makes their flavor come out!

Donator — She/Her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/07/4 20:19:38 )
@Wildfire: I hate seeing my babies stressed out too, but I'm glad they have a lot of options to help them. My cats really hate being put in their carriers and also any change of scenery. We tried this calming mousse stuff that you can dab on their paws so they can lick them, but they wanted nothing to do with the stuff, so will have to explore our options more if and when we have to move again.

Thanks for the tips! I only recently found out I'm okay with balsamic vinegar in small amounts, so might try that. I had grilled watermelon once. It was...just warmed watermelon. xD Not bad, but I just didn't know what to expect haha.

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/07/4 20:29:16 )
@Aisukohi: there is just something very basic and empathetic and sympathetic that comes out when we see our loved ones freaking out - especially true, imo, of those who don't have the higher reasoning skills to process the logistical details of what's going on... like pets. It's so hard to see! :( And even now, honestly, their "future stress" is stressing me out... and I don't need that. You're reminding me, though, that I should probably set up at least one of our diffusers with scents that should help calm down the dogs :3

And yeah... I never really understood the grilled watermelon phenomena. It's just weird.

Donator — She/Her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/07/4 20:33:22 )
@Wildfire: You're right on on the feels. I've kinda been wanting to try a diffuser in the house, but last time I did research on them, a LOT of the oils are unsafe for cats, so kinda gave up on that idea. Maybe I'll try one when it comes closer to my vacation time next month since we'll be having company stay with us for about a week. I've got so much to do to prep for that anyway lol.

Maybe it would have been better if they marinated or seasoned it with something? Except since it's mostly water, I'm not sure anything would "stick" to it well enough. xD I never knew it was a thing until a chef at work had me try it one day.

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/07/4 20:39:11 )
@Aisukohi: vacation + company sounds stressful, tbh. I hope you find an oil blend to use that helps!
Yeah... I have zero suggestions for grilled watermelon. I don't understand it. Don't see it's appeal. Don't have any desire to try it.

Donator Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/07/4 20:41:23 )

Hey there.

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/07/4 20:42:02 )

Howdy howdy

Donator Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/07/4 20:42:55 )

@Another Movie Addict: Your avatar is pretty.

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/07/4 20:43:39 )
@vengeance: well hello there. It has been a while! What's going on?

@Another Movie Addict: hello again.

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/07/4 20:43:54 )

@vengeance: Thank you ^w^

Donator Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/07/4 20:44:16 )

@Wildfire: Here nothing much XD Today was a rainy day over here. You?

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/07/4 20:45:57 )
@vengeance: Today is the first sunny day in a while, actually.
Not much going on here other than waiting for fireworks to start (national holiday) and having to deal with scared dogs

Donator Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/07/4 20:47:33 )

@Wildfire: Poor dogs.

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/07/4 20:48:38 )
@vengeance: Yeah. It's not much fun.

┤▒├ Hangout with me! ┤▒├

Donator — She/Her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/07/4 20:58:53 )
@Wildfire: I'm actually looking forward to the vacation and company part. What I'm not looking forward to is the stress on my wallet, so gotta be careful there. xD

@vengeance: Hey there!

@Another Movie Addict: Hello to you!

How are you both?
Goodbye, Voltra.
Feel free to add me on Discord: aisu9811

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.