Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Hangouts ┤▒├ Wildfire's World ┤▒├ All welcome, all the time - come say Hi!

Donator Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/01/9 20:59:14 )
@Wildfire: Not to jinx it, but I think my daughter is dealing with mono pretty well.
I had an eventful weekend and I'm actually glad to be doing my mom's daycare now. XD Too much was too much. /bad, not good/
We have 2 birthdays this week. And no plans, unfortunately. I ordered gifts kind of late too. OTL

Omg. Softshell turtles look SO WEIRD! and alligator turtles look quite a bit like snappers. o3o I have a pet Mississippi map turtle. It's a dwarf-sized one. Never grew any bigger than my palm. My mom took him as her store mascot/pet since I kept moving around and ... it moving his tank was a lot of work.
I drove to the post office the other night and had to wait until the deer moved away from the door so I could get in. lol. XD
The place is in a residential area, so I couldn't honk or make noise to scatter em.

I only have 2 kids today in the daycare. o3o it's a really nice break. but I know, tomorrow it goes back to 5 and I'm soaking up the simplicity of today while I have it.

Voltie Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/01/9 22:04:05 )
@CooperationIsKey: Hehe... thank you. It's just a silly avatar for the time being, but it works. :3

@Koah: ooof! I'm sorry to hear you had a bad/eventful weekend!!

LOL at the late or absent gifts. I know that feeling too... and for you? Good grief - you've been far too busy to think that kind of stuff through and get whatever ordered!! :3 I hope the birthday celebrants understand (I'm sure they will).

The turtles are weird. Definitely weird!!

I've been seeing a lot of deer around here lately too, but that's fairly normal for this area.

Donator — whatever Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/01/10 00:04:57 )

Softshell turtles are SUPER weird! I've always thought turtles/tortoises were cool animals, but man softshell ones are definitely oddballs. XD

Alligator snapping turtles are the ones that get SUPER HUGE right? Like, will take off a limb not just a digit if they bite kinda huge?

In other news, I'm reeling that it's 6pm already. I swear it was just 3:30, what happened??

Donator Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/01/10 03:14:54 )
@CooperationIsKey: I've heard bad snapper stories from kids/adults playing in creeks or lakes and getting fingers, skin or toes bitten or even bitten off. -shutters-

@Wildfire: luckily, my mom's handiman went to the grocer and bought cakes for the bday peeps. That's one less thing to think about.
Im smart enough to have gone to town Saturday and bought toys and had them wrapped- knowing the items i bought online will be late.
However the other bday person is older and won't care.

Donator — whatever Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/01/10 03:41:43 )

@Koah: Yeah, snapping turtles are nothing to mess with unless you very much know what you're doing! And alligator snapping turtles get so, so big.I believe other snappers can get huge too given the chance, but I think alligator snappers get the biggest, something like 150 pounds?

I just find them fascinating in a "holy cow remind me not to swim in murky fresh water like ever" kind of way lmao.

Donator Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/01/10 14:23:02 )
@Wildfire: I hope you have an eventful and easier year. The newest avatar you have appears to be a mix of Alice, Hatter, and Cheshire from Alice in Wonderland while telling the story, I love it!
@CooperationIsKey: That's smart, fruit flies are not fun.
@daniellerenee: No problem, working, about to take a coffee break and sort some paperwork. I love that hair you equipped, haven't seen it used in a while. How are you enjoying yourself here so far? n_n
@Koah: You have had a lot going on and I am sure the people who will be receiving the gifts will understand. I'm happy to hear your daughter is dealing with mono well, wishing her a speedy recovery, five kids?! That is a lot to handle. T_T

Voltie Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/01/10 14:36:21 )
@CooperationIsKey: Yeah, softshell turtles are extremely odd-looking and just plain weird... that soft extendable snout and the smooth slimy shell that barely looks like anything... and the alligator snapping turtles? Yeah, I think they can get really big... but even the "little ones" aren't things you want to mess with either - they are ornery!

I had a day like that yesterday too, where time just warped (and not in the "good" way)... I was threatening to fall asleep on the couch by 5pm. Then I was up most of the night not sleeping. Again. /eyeroll/ Or so it seems. And this morning, I found storming out of the house practically before my eyes opened to chase &%@#$!! squirrels out of my papaya trees and bird feeders... >.> I hope you got some rest last night at least.

Voltie Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/01/10 14:47:20 )
@Koah: Ahh... you managed to get a back up plan in to place! <3 And at least the cakes are taken care of. :3

@CooperationIsKey: uhhh yeah... I guess those suckers DO get really really big!! I haven't seen one as big as that big one, but there are plenty around here that are the size of the "smaller" one, or bigger. And yeah, here, fresh water does not belong to humans for enjoyment... other, older, nastier things with large teeth control that domain. :3

@Lotus: lol! <3 I love your creative interpretation of my avatar! It wasn't intentional -that combination or theme- but I can completely see where and why and how you're reading that, and I absolutely love it! :3 Maybe my subconscious was sneaking in and creating something.... XD

Donator Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/01/10 14:59:43 )
@Wildfire: Curiouser and curiouser! It's very possible. I notice I tend to do that with my work sometimes, it's amazing what the subconscious mind does. n_n

Voltie Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/01/10 15:09:48 )
@Lotus: lol - the creative / subconscious mind is amazing, isn't it? Regardless, I'm going to take this as a sign to go play today. Once I actually feel awake, that is... XD ... and I'm not chasing squirrels out of my birdfeeders and off my fruit trees - lol.

Do you have any plans today? Anything going on?

Donator — whatever Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/01/10 15:19:32 )

@Lotus: Fortunately we got fly sticks to deal with them and it would seem we've caught most of them already! :D So maybe I'll bake it today, hehe.

@Wildfire: Sorry to hear you didn't sleep well! I slept pretty well but I also woke up suuuper early. And ugh, squirrels, they're such a pain--my mom gets them in her peach trees! Little devils ate the whole crop a couple years ago but I think she's gotten some protective measures in place now. And I think I'd have a heart attack if I ran into a turtle as big as the big guy in that pic, lmao.

Donator Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/01/10 15:31:13 )
@CooperationIsKey: omg.... nope. That's a giant nope. I was thinking big as in.. a bit bigger than that little one. XDD
I've seen giant tortoises in person. Had the unfortunate experience of watching them... mate. /bleh/ Will NEVER be able to get that sound out of my head.

@Lotus: Thank you, I appreciate the well wishes. If she had bad mono on top of everything else going on, I might very well go insane.
I'm temporarily running my mom's daycare [with zero experience], while my mom recovers from a broken ankle. She was playing in advanced mode with all kids under 2. lmao. OTL and anywhere between 3 to 7 kids a day. In another week or two, she'll be able to sit in the daycare with me and help as much as she's able.
/sorry for sounding whiny, I'm only allowing myself to complain online. XDD

@Wildfire: Did I mention my husband threw out his back this weekend? CX He can't help with baby rn, or .. really do anything. :T His first day of work was yesterday, but he had to call out today because he wanted to have a successful first day, so he did the lifting and stuff they asked him to do. /doc orders said not too.. <.< /

-Sips coffee- Thank you guys for letting me be whiny and complainy. XDD I am not in RL.

Voltie Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/01/10 15:36:29 )
@CooperationIsKey: Thank you. This is two nights in a row where I spend more time reading and trying to fall asleep than actually sleeping. :/
What kind of protective measures did your mom put up for the peach trees? I'm curious. I'm about "done" dealing with these squirrels who are getting bolder and bolder as time goes on. If we had enough space to plant more crops, I wouldn't mind sharing some with the wildlife, but we don't, and every tree -and every fruit or veggie that they pull down and eat one bite of before leaving it behind- is kind of precious, so I'm frustrated with the little buggers...

And yeah, omg that is not a turtle I'd want to be anywhere near!! Eeek!

Donator — whatever Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/01/10 15:40:22 )

@Koah: Bahaha yeah, tortoises make kinda... hilarious/traumatizing sounds when they mate. I think the which end of the scale it falls on depends on the critter's size. XD And yes!! They get humongous!

@Wildfire: I'm not totally sure what my mom has done honestly; we live quite far apart so I've not seen for myself and we haven't talked about it in ages, but I know she's gotten a crop of peaches the last year or two (she made pies and preserves and such) so whatever's she's doing must be working. I could ask her. 🤔 And I don't blame you. My stepmom has like a whole cage constructed around some of her garden to keep the squirrels out!

Voltie Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/01/10 15:41:24 )
@Koah: oh wow... poor hubby... but also, dumb hubby!!! XD I guess he needed the reminder to not do that stuff, huh? And now the workplace knows he's not fooling around with the lifting and respect that...I hope, for your sake and for his. :3

You're not particularly whiny or complain-y, Koah. I get it. I think we all do. :3 Complain away if that's what you need to do. (I find myself whining more here than I ever do iRL too, so I get it)

Donator Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/01/10 15:42:41 )
@Wildfire: Enjoy your day, squirrels will be squirrels, chasing them away, they always come back. xD
@CooperationIsKey: Ooh, I hope it turns out well and was worth waiting for. n_n
@Koah: That sounds very painful for your mom, hope she has a speedy recovery as well! It's okay to complain. You aren't bothering me with it. <3 It's always nice to hear from you.

Voltie Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/01/10 15:44:52 )
@CooperationIsKey: Thank you but nah- you don't have to ask her. I was just curious. I'm going to have to put up a chickenwire cage around my leafy veggies, I think... they're getting too big for the small wire baskets that I have over them right now to keep the squirrels and other critters out. The squirrels though... I'm not a violent person, but find myself considering getting an airsoft gun or something similar just to scare them out of my garden...

Donator Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/01/10 15:53:52 )
@CooperationIsKey: lol, yeah, they sounded like old men..XD

@Wildfire: dumb is correct. o3o lol. That was only 1 out of like... 3 things to happen over the weekend that made me thankful for Monday to come around.
I had to take him to the ER over it- =O seriously thought he slipped a disc or something. He pulled a lower muscle pretty badly.
He texted me halfway through Monday saying that he was needing to do lifting/pulling at work and I slapped my forehead so hard.
Real life can be hard and only be made harder by sitting back and complaining about everything, so it's nice to have the outlet in the forums. o3o

@Lotus: I think her recovery will go well, it was a pretty clean break. This is her 3rd time breaking an ankle. This one is the least complicated.
How are you, how've you been?

-I set my computer up near the daycare, so I'll be able to respond a little more frequently than I have been-

Donator — whatever Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/01/10 16:08:43 )

@Wildfire: Rofl I have definitely heard of people using bb guns to keep the squirrels away.
Please ping me!

Voltie Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/01/10 16:11:49 )
@Koah: It definitely sounds like you had a rough weekend. Hopefully your work week is going more smoothly :3
It is nice to have the outlet in the forums to just get stuff out ... without taking it out on your loved ones, and, like you say, potentially making the iRL situation worse. And dumb only because it sounds like he knew better but wanted to make an impression... which he did... just not the one he was hoping to make XD

@CooperationIsKey: lol. The thought keeps coming to mind... we'll see what happens, I guess. If they do much more damage though... *glares at squirrels*

┤▒├ Hangout with me! ┤▒├

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.