Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Hangouts ┤▒├ Wildfire's World ┤▒├ All welcome, all the time - come say Hi!

Voltie Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/01/14 14:56:11 )
@CooperationIsKey: lol - I made split pea and ham soup yesterday too, only mine was in the crockpot early afternoon and came out ... not burnt? XD It was a little soupier than I was hoping for but it came out just fine. I'm guessing you're not eating any of this soup from your roommate, then? XD

I'm not sure what to expect today, tbh. Obviously, there's things to do around here, but ... well, we'll see what happens. :3

Minecraft sounds like a good day to spend this overcast chilly day.

Donator — whatever Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/01/14 17:15:02 )

@Wildfire: I think her intent was to take it to her coworkers anyhow, lol. Glad to hear yours turned out. Roommate managed to fill the house with smoke for a minute there.

I don't think I've ever had split pea and ham soup but this one I'm a little scared of, as I said lol.

Hopefully she leaves for work soon and I can make myself something to eat. I've been waiting to use the stove all morning. @_@;;;

Voltie Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/01/14 21:12:20 )
@CooperationIsKey: I hope you got yourself something yummy to eat!! :3

Donator Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/01/15 02:22:53 )
@CooperationIsKey:
@Wildfire: the parent was just pissy because they have a diaper rash and although, I am helping , it's just not good enough. I think the kid has allergies.
It's their only child.
Yesterday was awful. All 6 kids were sick sick. Called 2 parents by 3pm to come pick up. OTL
My own baby was screaming/sick all night.
I worked my own job all day today.
Im pooped out.

Im taking a break at my friends house and using their massage chair. <3

Voltie Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/01/15 16:27:05 )
@Koah: That sounds like an absolute nightmare! I bet you are worn out... Hopefully everyone will be feeling better after the weekend?
I'm glad you got a chance to reconnect with adult friends and use a massage chair at least. How are you doing today?

Good morning everyone!

Voltie Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/01/16 16:25:12 )
............................................................ and another day, and another Good Morning, everyone!

So it looks like we're in that in between events, everyone doing iRL stuff stage of things again XD
I hope you're all doing well with your endeavors and staying warm, if it's cold in your area. :3

Donator Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/01/16 17:10:07 )
@Wildfire: So far all the kids are recovering fine, except my husband. lol. I made him stay home with our 3 kids over the weekend while I totally decompressed and worked hours at my other job.
Much needed break. I even had dinner with good friends and had a couple beverages. :d
We've had warm weather the last couple days, which melts the snow layer by layer, and then it freezes, snows overnight and we have that hidden layer of ice.

Voltie Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/01/16 18:43:14 )
@Koah: Oh, I'm so glad you got a chance to completely decompress! <3 ...although I'm sorry to hear hubby is still not feeling well.

Yeah, that hidden ice stuff is a bit nightmarish... I do not envy you that experience! Once it forms, it never quite goes away either... at least not until April or May! XD :(

... and just confirming a tidbit from our previous conversation, but yes, $8.54 for 18 XL eggs here, as of yesterday... I could probably find them a little cheaper at a store other than Publix, but where and how much?

I was just out watering my garden. I seem to have things growing places that I planted stuff last year ... and have currently no idea what they might be now... so I guess it's going to be a "surprise!" garden! ... and my poor banana plants have not enjoyed the couple of cold snaps we've had - they're not dead, but have a number of droopy brown leaves and they seem generally confused by the weather... XD

Donator — whatever Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/01/16 20:32:00 )

@wildfire: Oh my goodness no one posted yesterday? Lol. I intended to at one point but I was miserable yesterday (aunt flo came early which set off my chronic pain really badly, plus something upset my stomach pretty badly, and the combo, I was a mess, man). I was bad enough that I couldn't even play games or screw around online. I just slept and watched stuff when I couldn't sleep and that was pretty much it. I'm doing substantially better today though! I mean, not amazing but definitely better.

Also I have popcorn so that's fun. :D

Hope your banana plants bounce back okay!

Voltie Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/01/16 20:48:05 )
@CooperationIsKey: lol - yeah, yesterday was very, very quiet online! XD It happens. It amuses me when it does, though :3
I'm sorry to hear that yesterday was so rough for you! I'm glad you're feeling a little better today. Popcorn is a plus! :3

Time will tell with my two little banana plants (they're barely up to my hips/waist, height-wise)... thanks for the good wishes for them, though! :3 We'll see what happens. I hope they bounce back and start flourishing, though...

I'm in a weird mood today for some reason... kinda cranky and unmotivated (& easily annoyed, apparently (as hubby watches some video with some miserable power tool type noises)), but for no obvious reason. It's weird. :/

Donator Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/01/16 20:57:44 )
@Wildfire: I really hope your banana plants survive and thrive this summer. <3
oh man, I should have bought chickens this summer like I wanted to- but then, I came to Wyoming, so ... glad I didn't. XD gosh, I hope egg prices go down soon.
I'm curious as to why eggs? I need to research that.

I'm pretty much used to the slick roads now, I just dislike driving my mom's old car- even though it's meant for this type of weather. It's a fairly lightweight vehicle so it hits ice, and you definitely feel it.

Donator — whatever Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/01/16 21:20:28 )

@Wildfire: I was so cranky yesterday before the pain and stomach issue hit me, and could NOT figure out why. Then surprise! At least now I know why. :P

I've been considering doing a fruit plant of some sort. I'm really interested in pink lemonade blueberries and pink variegated lemons, but I'm unsure how well either would do in a pot long-term. I suppose if I kept them trimmed down it would at least slow down how fast they need more space. 🤔

Voltie Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/01/16 21:28:45 )
@Koah: Yeah... if we had more land to play with (and not an HOA to deal with) I'd have more of a garden, and some chickens, and probably a couple of small goats bouncing around... but at this point in the insanity of prices, politics, supply chain issues, etc., I'm not sure it really matters because you're either investing your money in to gardens and animals (fertilizer, feed, supplies, time, etc.) which may or may not "pay out", or just paying the "done" price at the store... :/ It sucks, regardless. I'm actually in a bit of a foul mood today because these things, tbh... it's unusual for me, but I haven't been able to shake these rather dystopian thoughts today (or last night, when I wasn't sleeping... which isn't helping my mood atm) :(

I'm not sure why eggs are the latest "rising star" of inflation. If you figure it out, LMK, k? I'm curious too... Avian flu, maybe? I dunno... /shrug/

Like everything else, you can usually adjust to situational changes with a little time and practice... and it's not like you're unused to dealing with snow, even if the specifics change a bit. I'm glad the roads and icy conditions aren't affecting you terribly at this point.

... LOL... which reminds me.... my youngest is apparently really hoping for a seasonal gig in your area... and he has no idea what he's actually going to walk in to (with the ice and snow and general cold) if he happens to land it. Silly boy. :3 XD

Voltie Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/01/16 21:34:40 )
@CooperationIsKey: It's funny (and amazing, tbh) how the body seems to know what's coming and sends all these clues... even if we are intellectually "too dumb" to recognize the signs sometimes! XD I'm glad you got some answers at least. :3

I don't know really anything about the plants you're mentioning, but sometimes keeping things trimmed down is a good thing (here) and a lot of different thing seem to do really well in pots in this area - including blueberries and certain lemon trees, from what I understand. Do some research! USF has an awesome set of public pages for gardening, etc., through one of their extension offices. LMK if you can't find a link... I could probably find it...

Donator — whatever Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/01/16 22:04:19 )

@Wildfire: Right? Lol like my body was on red alert yesterday trying to tell me what was incoming but I didn't figure it out for hours lmao.

And oh really? I knew you could buy them--I know for a fact that Lowes has at least once had the variegated lemons though I haven't seen them myself, and obviously they are sold in pots, but not sure what I'd need to transfer them to. Definitely need to do more homework on it; I hadn't thought of looking up USF! I'll check that out, thanks!

I just really enjoy unusual plants and foods so this is a perfect marriage of the two! :D (also it looks like the blueberries do well in pots, if that picture is anything to judge by!!)

Dangit, I'm trying a new nail polish and it's a pretty shade but a lot more sheer than I expected. Gonna take probably three coats to get it opaque. But! My Lisa Frank confetti topper polish came a couple days ago and I can't wait to use it! :D

Voltie Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/01/16 22:28:33 )
@CooperationIsKey: ...your images are the same... but to me, it looks like the lemon... which looks interesting! <3 Although I don't know really anything about the two things you're mentioning, I do know that there are definitely interesting things that can grow in this area, and I say "go for it"! I have one blueberry bush in a large planter and although I'm not sure I can say it looks "happy" (probably due to something I am or am not doing for it) it hasn't died yet.........................??? XD

Unusual plants... do you know about cucamelon? (I tried growing this; it failed) Or, depending on your definition of "weird", dragonfruit? or other cactus fruits?

Donator — whatever Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/01/16 22:35:09 )

@Wildfire: Gosh you were fast; I fixed that image immediately lmao! I do know of cucamelon; they're adorable but unfortunately they apparently taste like cucumber and I can't stand cucumber. ^^; Dragonfruit would be fun; I actually have a small stalk of dragonfruit from a moon cactus whose grafted colorful part died off; I'm hoping that the remaining plant will branch off now that it's not feeding the graft and grow more of itself!
Please ping me!

Voltie Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/01/16 23:02:17 )
@CooperationIsKey: I am trying to grow dragonfruit atm - I'm not sure how successful I'm actually being, given the "challenges" I've had with it over the last year, and the absence of fruit, despite obvious growth of the plant... but I'll be happy to share cuttings with you if you want. :3 (I have 2-3 kinds "kinda" growing atm) ... if yours doesn't take off.

The cucamelon I can't really say anything about... I tried growing it... got some vines, and some flowers, but no fruits that I saw. :/ I think it was overrun by morning-glories. Maybe yours will fare better??

Donator Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/01/16 23:10:58 )
@Wildfire: I'm excited that I got your son hyped for an adventure to this area. XD Even the summers here are cold compared to your FL winters. lol! We get a few hot hellish days, but then night hits and it drops.

Eggs... google says bird flu. :T hmmmmm
I understand the mood your in today. I was feeling that way quite a bit when I was in Oregon [before baby arrived]. My husband is sort of.. stuck in that mood, and has been for years now. /sigh

When I was beginning the chicken coop and looking at costs, I started digging around the yard for scrap parts to build the coop. e.e The cost of start up is high if you're not nifty. My roommate who was insisting on helping with chickens and whatnot, really wanted all the new gadgets n' things.

Voltie Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/01/16 23:26:56 )
@Koah: LOL! <3 He feels like he needs to be out of this area in order to establish himself for some reason (I kinda get it... kinda don't) If he ends up in that part of the world, I'm sending him your way, k?? (kinda j/k; kinda not) XD <3 He has zero idea of what he's actually flirting with atm! XD I'm gonna LMAO @ him for a while, I think, if he ends up in the cold northwest!!

There's a very real ptsd thing going on these last few years... I think we're all dealing with it in our own way. Unfortunately, I don't think this is the end of it......although I seriously hope I'm wrong.... :/

From what I understand, chicken-keeping can be cheap or expensive, depending on what you put in to place for their coop, run, etc., etc. It's one of those things that doesn't necessarily need to be expensive, but might get there... kinda like your roommate's ideas...

┤▒├ Hangout with me! ┤▒├

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.