Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat What do people do on the internet nowadays

Voltie — She/Her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/28 17:08:45 )
Like back when I was younger, there's neopets..
I also used to go on forums / messageboards
Tumblr also seemed super interesting back then too (it still is good, but not compared to when it was first starting to get famous)
Occasionally, I go to Gaia still and have some avatar dress-ups
There were some graphic websites you can go to - about video games, about anime series.. There's lots of cool graphics you can find online about them
There was even that old (and I'm pretty sure the first ever) official website of Harry Potter. It was in flash. I don't even remember the website anymore, it's probably gone or has been re-made into the new ones.
You could get pixel adoptables on websites and put them on your website/blog/signature in forums
There was this website called Ameba Pico (Pigg in Japan), but it was shut down
There were also a lot of PC games. There is still now, but I they're not the same as the old ones. The old ones had like a different feel to them, idk how to explain it even.

I even used to have a blogspot.. Obviously, I wasn't a professional or anything - it was just a hobby I did and I used it as like an online diary.

Basically, I was just really enjoying being on the internet back in the days... I felt like there's so much things to do. That was like more than 10 years ago. But nowadays, I just check my email, go on Voltra for a bit, and visit GaiaOnline too... I feel like it isn't as exciting as it was. The internet and everything else evolved into something more modern - which is a good thing, but now ending my post - I guess I'm just feeling more nostalgic for all those things you can do online back in the days when we were first discovering it...

But what do people do on the internet nowadays???

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/28 17:25:25 )

Social media mostly. Facebook, Tumblr etc. I'm not online much though, I mostly mooch around doing nothing.

currently: new novel who dis?

q u e s t i n g :
beanie doll! thank u cookie

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/28 17:40:25 )
Reddit. Reddit all the way down. Everything is now centralized into major media plots of land. Reddit, Twitter, Facebook, you go into your curated lane and keep driving ahead. Keep your head down!
https://streamable.com/l8ysz

Donator — AAAAAAAAAA Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/28 19:17:04 )

i saw a tweet similar to this like. what do kids/teens have nowadays other than social media to hang out on? that's more kid-friendly?

i spend most of my time on twitter, sometimes tumblr and pixiv, and of course voltra. i miss livejournal when it was still good lol

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/28 19:46:41 )
Visit some sites like rec/voltra/flightrising etc, hang around on discord
And scroll on pinterest cause i have no life
Other than that i just game with friends
Sorry if Reply late!
Please ping me!

Questing

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/28 21:25:29 )
**** (> ^ w ^ <) ****

Lurking around the forums on Voltra mostly, maybe on AO3 if I'm bored. I used to have Facebook long time ago but I deleted it because I didn't have any use for it, wasn't interested in social media as I used to be.

I play Sims 4 or its mobile app game sometimes, and mainly watch Youtube just to kill time since that's what I do these days.

Voltie — she/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/28 21:49:54 )

I'm in the same boat. The internet is so much more dull now. Not that voltra isn't fun, but its like... one of the few fun things left for me to do online lol
mmo's are lackluster, people are less social and more intense/cutthroat online now. I think some of the problem is probably inflation; I imagine its too expensive to keep a website going if it doesn't have enough financial support from its users. So a lot of things end up sliding into the past.
Or people get so absorbed in the standard social media platforms that these other websites end up a ghost town.

idk, the internet just seems to lack the creativity it used to have.

I am leaving Voltra
Find my links here

08 22 22

Donator — She/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/28 22:27:49 )

I would say that most people use social media and YouTube.
I love watching different kinds of videos on YouTube. I’m not really into the clickbait drama though.

I go on avatar sites, twitter, Reddit and news.

Donator — He/Him Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/28 22:47:15 )
I do a few different things. Mostly,I hang around on here and a couple more avatar sites. I also role play on Discord,sometimes watch videos on YouTube,or shows and/or movies on Netflix. Of course I also use the internet to check my bank app quite often.

Art by the fabulous Inatlaka!

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/28 22:59:22 )

Man reading about yours is making me recall back what I used to visit back then...
I used to go to y8 a lot and played a lot of online flash games. I used to have a msn and a hi5 account. Then recalling going to the disney and teletoon website to play more online games. Then there's fanfiction where I read a lot of stories of my favourite otp couples before the term "otp" or "ship is a thing" I remember when Facebook was fresh and new and I mostly chat there with my schoolmates.

Man those are good times... I guess what doesn't change over the years is that I still go to youtube daily xD

Art DumpAvatar GalleryQuest Items

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/28 23:51:44 )
That brings me back to the good old days! I was around when AOL first came out, IRC channels were all the rage and there was an RPG Group or any type of group for almost every fandom... I miss the fun stuff... there still is, but it's hard to find. Even the fanfic has gotten worse and harder to find, but I mainly read and try to find my fav stories from a long time ago. I do play this game called GOT: Winter's Coming on the browser, but mostly nowadays I've become a Hulu and Xbox One addict.

Donator — Fox Lady Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/29 01:22:04 )

@kwisshiie: Man I remember the internet back in the day. Back when Facebook didn't exist. Everyone was on Myspace and you would tweak your page to be unique. I used to go to Gaia, and BillyBear4Kids (which is dead now). I went to Ezone and Bonus.com for flash games. There was also Shockwave which had games too. I found Roliana and went there as well as Neopets. Facebook came along and it was cooler than MySpace, until the adults got a hold of it. Now it's filled with old people playing games and young people hardly use it.

what places still exist aren't as fun anymore either because of ads or rude people, or just we don't have interest because we've aged and grown out of these places. I myself mostly do Youtube and play games on Steam. In the generation of all the things we've done before, things were simple but in a fun way...now a lot of games and movies catered to this new generation so a lot of things (to me at least) seem dumbed down.

Donator — She/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/29 05:48:52 )

I just wanna say that reading this thread makes me happy that we still have Voltra. I don't know what I would do without an avatar home.

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

Voltie — She/Her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/29 17:42:01 )
Thank you for everyone who has replied to this thread. There are so many of you :vivihappy:
I'm just very happy to hear that there are a lot of you who have sympathized and understand where I'm coming from. At the very end of my post, it ended up as me just wanting to be heard. Felt like I somehow belonged again somewhere

Thanks again to everyone!

Voltie — Moody Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/29 19:37:14 )
Moody Says. . .

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

I go on instagram and twitter and just take in so much art
as I follow so many artists and love discovering new artists.

I used to play a lot of MMOs but my comp can't handle those right now sadly.
But if i had a good computer I'd be playing those very often. :vanora_xd:

If you need my attention for any reason please ping me.
[My Website]

Donator — He/They Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/31 17:44:51 )

I go on here, occasionally pop into facebook or reddit, browse around looking things up, post/look at art on a couple of art sites, and watch stuff on youtube/netflix/etc. I used to be a lot more active on forums, but most of the ones I was on have either died or really lost their appeal.

ALWAYS PING ME

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.