Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Hangouts ✐ Pixel Academy -- Practice and Challenges together!

Donator — She/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/31 19:52:23 )

@Jolly: those look great!

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

Voltie — she/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/31 19:59:02 )

@priestess of pie:
exactly, which is what I want to practice with! I want my own style of tilesets to use for RPG maker (for lack of knowing how to do my own coding) so I can have a fun way of telling some of my stories. I have an easier time wrapping my mind around characters/humanoids than I do for objects though.

learning how to pixel shade will probably help with my normal arting also. especially with color theory practice

@totalanimefan:
Thank you! :D

Donator — Frog bless Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/31 20:00:09 )

If you're interested, I used to have a pixel shop here but had to close it due to time constraints. It has some of my work though.

Voltie — she/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/31 20:02:28 )

@priestess of pie:
AH I love it
I didn't realize you made your own signature art. Its so good <3
Let me know if you ever open up again, I would 100% pay you for pixels of my budgy and guppies :vanora_xd:

Donator — Frog bless Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/31 20:04:46 )

Maybe someday when I get my life together I can open back up. XD I don't think I've pixeled either of those animals before.

Donator — she/they Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/31 20:05:36 )
─ ──┤├────────── ─

@koneko:
I absolutely LOVE your rattie! The colors, the swirl in the ear and the pattern just looks amazing!
I don't know if it's a style choice, but either way [here] is a nice simple how-to on pixel line cleanup ^^

@Jolly:
Those sprites are adorable! I especially love the one with the green dress :viohearteyes:

@Priestess of pie:
Those kitties in your signature are just too cute! Love the way you shaded the fur c:

─ ──────────┤├── ─

Voltie — she/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/31 20:09:22 )

@priestess of pie:
I imagine a bird would be a challenge. I wanna learn to do it myself, too, but I can barely draw animals in my normal style either.
I tend to shy away from trying.

@llama:
Thank you! I think her name is Janet LOL cant even remember my own OCs..
But she's the other green haired guy's aunt

Donator — Frog bless Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/31 20:12:02 )

The thing I love about pixel art is that it's such a small scale that it doesn't take long to render things out. That also becomes the challenge though because you don't have much room for detail so you gotta make every single pixel count. Still, it makes it easier to try different things when you aren't really sure what you're doing.

Voltie — she/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/31 20:14:16 )

@priestess of pie:
I think thats what is most fun about learning pixel art. You have far smaller options to work with as opposed to my usual illustrations. You're just placing 2D blocks in a strategic manner.

Donator — Frog bless Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/31 20:17:54 )

I will say though that learning the basics of lighting and color help a lot.

Voltie — she/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/31 20:21:39 )

@priestess of pie:
I agree. I'd like to think I have that down for the most part (with normal illustration)? Of course, I could always improve with it xD
And I also rely a lot on layer modes and hue/sat sliders cause I get a bit color blind when I hand pick colors

Donator — Frog bless Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/31 20:23:09 )

I mean, with any artwork, sometimes color correction is helpful. It's not uncommon for me to tweak values on digital paintings either.

Mallow Tumbleweed
My Sons

Voltie — she/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/31 20:25:11 )

@priestess of pie:
Right, and I love the concept of limiting yourself to a specific pallet. I think I've learned a lot from doing that in the past
should come in great handy for pixel art too

Voltie — she/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/31 22:47:14 )

@koneko:
yay! I updated them into the front posts :D

Donator — she/they Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/31 22:51:14 )
I made a little candle thing. I'm not sure how to count colors in Photoshop, so I don't know if I used too many similar colors... but here it is:

Voltie — she/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/31 22:58:34 )

@glume:
awesome! I love the angle you went with.
that kind of dotty shading makes me think of crosshatching a bit, only with pixels haha

I am leaving Voltra
Find my links here

08 22 22

Donator — she/they Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/31 23:00:45 )
@Jolly: Its called dithering <3 Its a great way to trick the eye into seeing a color that isn't there. It usually works better at bigger canvas sizes. You can use different patterns other than a checkerboard pattern to achieve some nice textures as well.

Donator — she/they Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/31 23:01:47 )
─ ──┤├────────── ─

@koneko:
That looks amazing! :viohearteyes:

@Glume:
That is so stunning!! Do you usually use dithering when you make pixel art, or does it depend on what you're making?

─ ──────────┤├── ─

Donator — she/they Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/31 23:08:19 )
@Llama: It depends on what I'm making. I wanted this candle to look soft, and I didn't want to add tooo many colors, so this was the way I went with it.
Ping me, Devil Daddy, ping me.

Donator — she/they Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/31 23:11:45 )
─ ──┤├────────── ─

@Glume:
I see! I've always found dithering difficult, though it can result in some amazing pieces like yours c:

─ ──────────┤├── ─
● sry, i'm not that interesting ●
also please ping me

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.