Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Community Garden Event Rei's Event Hangout

Donator — She/Crazy Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/09/3 04:25:54 )

There are so many great Halloween movies!

Hocus Pocus has always been one of my favorites. ^_^

Donator — She/Her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/09/3 23:36:29 )
@Ava: I hope you get to see a Broadway show. You know in your area shows will be done on tour or on off Broadway and then go to Broadway. You could always check that.

Dragon hocus pocus is getting a sequel did you know about it? My favorite plush brand squishmallow is releasing Hocus squishmallow this Halloween season too.

@CooperationIsKey: oh man, I hate when neighbors are jerks.

Donator — She/Her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/09/4 23:12:46 )
@Ava: Oh I would love to see Lion King. That's not one of the shows I've seen. Do you have Disney plus, you can see the whole Hamilton musical on it.

Yeah, the sequel is suppose to be released on Disney Plus I think, as well. I'm excited for it.

Donator — She/Her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/09/4 23:59:22 )
@Ava: I totes recommend watching it at least once. IT's a long one, but I love it, and it's so much cheaper than trying to buy tickets for it. Oh that's for sure a good steal to get for a year.

Donator — She/Her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/09/5 00:33:42 )
@Ava: Let me know if you like it. I'm a huge musical fan. I would love to be in a broadway show before I die, but I want like a small minor part, and that's impossible, so I dream.

Donator — whatever Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/09/5 00:36:06 )

I keep meaning to watch Hamilton. I, uh, acquired it for viewing, but I haven't actually taken the time to watch it yet. o3o

Donator — She/Her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/09/5 00:37:42 )
@CooperationIsKey: I recommend it, just know it's about three hours.

In January, I'll be heading to NYC to see Six on Broadway.

Donator — whatever Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/09/5 00:40:40 )

@Rei Ann: I probably won't get to it until after Halloween; I have a pretty extensive watchlist put together for Spoopy Season! But yeah, I definitely want to watch it.

Donator — She/Her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/09/5 00:47:16 )
@CooperationIsKey: That makes sense. I'm really bad at watching stuff to be honest. Limited hours in the day.

@Ava: Oh I'm not actively trying to get into a musical. I can sing, but not professionally, and I guess I could dance if taught? I just know that, to make it on broadway, I'd be slaving away, and have to be insanely talented and I'm not broadway talented. To many people want to be on broadway.

Donator — She/Her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/09/5 01:33:39 )
@Ava: Exactly. So in highschool, my school had it where you picked program of studies, kinda of like college. Sure we all had to take the same basic classes, but like if we wanted to do a certain job, it tailored our electives to that. So I was theater. I did theater for years, and let me tell you that world can be toxic, favoritism and just way to hard. It doesn't matter if you are good at acting, or actually read that the script says to use a southern accent, because if you are still unliked by fellow students you get nothing.

It made me give up on the theater world for myself. I didn't want to live a life of constantly facing rejection.

Donator — whatever Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/09/5 01:59:25 )

I learned the hard way that theater is bullshit. I took it my freshman year of high school and was so excited, but the environment was awful. The teacher played favorites, nobody considered your thoughts or suggestions if you weren't one of those favorites, and you had no chance of getting anything but bit side parts unless you were a favorite.

Also for some reason our high school did a play with a freaking rape scene one year?? Who assigns that to kids??

Anyway yeah I dropped theater like a bad habit after that first year. :/

Donator — She/Her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/09/5 02:18:16 )
@CooperationIsKey: Basically what I had happened. So my junior year at the end, the drama club, run by the drama teacher, who having us apply to board positions for the club, and there were 7 positions, and only 7 people who applied. So you'd think everyone would get a spot right? Wrong, because I was one of the people and my best friend at the time was another. They decided to combine some of the positions, so they only needed 5 instead of seven. It was upsetting, and that year I got some pity award at our theater awards show. I later found out from that bestie of mine, she was told they combined the positrons because they didn't want me, and they didn't give her one to not upset her. I would have thought she was lying but other students told me that too. Really fed up way to treat a 16 year old.

That killed theater for me at least acting wise.

@Ava: You'd be so right about that favoritism. Better to avoid it and just go watch the shows.

Donator — whatever Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/09/5 02:29:42 )

@Ava: Right? I didn't really consider it so much at the time, but right? It's a pretty heinous thing to present like that, and I think it kinda messed up the girl playing the part of the victim (though she was kinda bizarre to begin with so maybe she was just weird idk).

@Rei Ann: Omg that's terrible! How freaking cruel, and to a kid. I'm sorry that happened to you. :(

Donator — She/Her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/09/5 02:38:33 )
@CooperationIsKey: Hey at least I'm not the kid my theater teacher told, she could never be Juliet because of her looks at size. She use to always tell us a story about how one girl in her class years ago, asked if she could ever be juliet and the teacher was like nope, you fat and ugly, and theater hires pretty people.

Donator — She/Her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/09/5 03:08:56 )
@Ava: Thanks it sucked, but that at least a decade ago. So it is what is it. I'm sorry that you had a similar issue with theater, but even worse. I hate that theater is all about looks and oh like you aren't white or preppy girl enough, please leave. Like it's so feckin dumb.

Donator — whatever Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/09/5 03:11:05 )

@Rei Ann: Oh my god that's cruel. I swear I never hear about nice or cool theater teachers, they always seem to be favoritist assholes. :/

@Ava: Uh, it was around my freshman year of high school, so about 1998/1999? So well before the modern era of 'canceling' people for bad taste jokes and the like; in fact those kinds of jokes weren't really considered that big of a deal yet I don' think, even though they should have been. I'm really really sorry you've had experience with rape and have been treated like that in response; people are so goddamn awful to victims sometimes! :C

Donator — She/Her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/09/5 03:14:48 )
@CooperationIsKey: I like that hope that maybe it isn't that bad at other schools. It seems that theater teachers want to tell you and treat you like the real world, but if you think about it, it was probs how they were treated since they aren't in the theater world but instead teaching at a school.

Donator — whatever Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/09/5 03:18:15 )

@Rei Ann: Ooh gosh, I hadn't thought of that angle. I mean it's no excuse but it does a little bit explain it.

My theater teacher was also the general art teacher, and she just... wasn't really a pleasant person. :I

Please ping me!

Donator — She/Her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/09/5 03:26:26 )
@CooperationIsKey: I'm assuming with the hindsight I now posses? Or maybe teaching kids is so hard, and they just developed favorites, because paid so little and can't devote time to everyone?

Donator — She/Her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/09/5 03:40:01 )
@Ava: Well theater is suppose to be bring the character to life through acting. So while I don't think looks, like size, skins etc matter, it's about once's acting ability and the whole getting into character. But society still has long way to go to accepting that. Just look at standard movie roles for all people. Fat white women, are only allowed to be comic relif with half the jokes on weight. Or someone middle eastern, is forced into the terrorist roles. It's frustrates me that everything in society is based on looks in some part and less on talent, and skill.
Rei's Quest
Please ping me.

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.