Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Reaping Ritual 2020: TTLG ┤▒├ WRRECT ┤▒├ come chat any time! ┤▒├ games, art, prizes, discussion...

Donator — they/them Posted 3 years ago ( 2020/11/28 21:42:25 )
════════════════⠀ ∘◦ᵒ .⋆。˚☽˚。⋆. ᵒ◦∘

sunny that sounds cool! is the entire story based in the arctic, or are you thinking diff powers from diff climates kind of thing ..?

also i'm v curious may i ask how u keep track of ur character stuff ?? do u make a doc for each, or it lives in ur head mostly, or ...?

∘◦ᵒ .⋆。˚☽˚。⋆. ᵒ◦∘ ⠀════════════

Donator Posted 3 years ago ( 2020/11/28 21:45:23 )

@Wildfire: Pizzas are yummy, though I haven't had one in far too long. Are you not hungry?
Yes lots of work, but I enjoy it :D

@xvz: The whole story is set in the Arctic. The reason I chose the Arctic is because I wanted the children to be raised in isolation, away from the rest of the world so they can't do any harm. Which does not go to plan lmao XD The magic isn't climate based, just chance. The two girls in the Arctic don't have "ice magic" or anything like that.
I basically just keep it all in my head. I spend a while getting to know the characters in my head, and I'm lucky in that I don't struggle to keep things straight. I think it might be an autism thing???

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2020/11/28 21:45:51 )
@xvz: exactly! There's only so much room in the oven and there's only so much sanity for the chef! Besides, if you're cooking a turkey, one thing you don't want to keep doing is opening and closing the oven all day!

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2020/11/28 21:46:48 )
@sunny: I just had a late lunch of some leftovers, so I probably won't be hungry until much later tonight and I try not to eat too late in the day

┤▒├ Hangout with me! ┤▒├

Donator Posted 3 years ago ( 2020/11/28 21:47:17 )

@Wildfire: Oh I see. I understand that, I get indigestion if I eat too late :/

Donator — they/them Posted 3 years ago ( 2020/11/28 21:49:12 )

sunny oh cool :-0 have u ever read or heard of the fifth season by nk jeminsin ? maybe you would like it ...
that's impressive! do u picture like their appearance and clothes and everything? can i ask what ur process for fleshing a character out is like? like are there certain questions or considerings you always think abt first, any tips/tricks lol ?

Donator — they/them Posted 3 years ago ( 2020/11/28 21:51:06 )

wildfire oh yes lol ... yeah and there's def a strategy to thanksgiving cooking lol!
i think we did a good job of timing like, prepping things in the right order and which dishes get the oven when, etc.
luckily we had a vegetarian meal so didn't have to worry abt all the pressures that come w a turkey lol

Donator Posted 3 years ago ( 2020/11/28 21:54:40 )

@xvz: I have heard of the author but not that book! I'll check it out, thanks for the rec!
I don't usually picture their clothes or anything, it's mostly just a collection of words to describe them, events they've gone through, people they care about, motivations etc.
A big way I figure out characters is literally just by writing, they sometimes take over the plot and surprise you. I find just jumping in there really helps me figure out what they want, how they'd react etc. And it doesn't have to be part of the story--just random rambling in a separate doc. That's pretty much the only tip I have lol. Just start writing something character-based, see what happens.
I also use music to flesh out characters A LOT. Every project I start has its own Spotify playlist, and I spend hours searching for songs and instrumental music that helps set the scene. And while I'm doing that I am subconsciously associating the characters with various songs, and so when I later listen to the music it brings it all back, if that makes sense?

Donator — they/them Posted 3 years ago ( 2020/11/28 22:02:46 )

i think she won the hugo award for it?? i hope u like it if u get a chance to read it! :3

oohh i see .... u just get right in there lol! that sounds like a great approach though, and like not too much overthinking , learning by doing, etc. :3
i really like that!!! i'm trying to start playlists for my char but so far they all only have 1-2 songs each, i just add them if something i'm listening to i'm like oh ? but haven't spent like dedicated time putting playlists together :3 that sounds like helpful for moodsetting and framing though!!
thanks for sharing ^0^

i have that same association but i make playlists for each month, and listening to it brings back that time in my life lol ... i can def see how that would work for a character!!!

Donator Posted 3 years ago ( 2020/11/28 22:09:06 )

@xvz: yeah overthinking can be a real problem with writing, and I am definitely guilty of doing that sometimes lol.
I forgot to tell you the most important step! I listen to a lot of ambient music (in general and when writing) and ambient sounds etc. I like myNoise.net for their various soundscapes, they really help with setting the mood. They have so much choice. For my Arctic story I am listening to this one. I have it on in the background while I'm listening to my Spotify playlist.

Donator — they/them Posted 3 years ago ( 2020/11/28 22:22:29 )

yeahh i guess it can be helpful to come up w stuff ahead of time but i think most of the real work is the writing itself haha... i know i've said this before but i'm kind of hoping dec+jan can be writing months for me?? nov was a busy month but things might calm down for me soon

oh nice!!! i didn't know they had ambient sounds for different kinds of settings like that
that's a great tip ty for sharing!!!

Donator — they/them Posted 3 years ago ( 2020/11/28 22:23:06 )

wow i'm looking thru it and they have so many good soundscape combos .... amazing
and they have a collection for writing inspo.. !? this is awesome ^0^

Donator Posted 3 years ago ( 2020/11/28 22:25:01 )

@xvz: I hope Dec and Jan work out better for you! I hope you get some writing done. I definitely understand how life can get in the way sometimes. I don't write every night, though it probably seems like I do lol. What sort of project(s?) are you hoping to work on?
Yess!! They are awesome tbh. They are pretty much essential imo, I always love having a soundscape playing in the background, even if I'm not working on anything.

Donator — they/them Posted 3 years ago ( 2020/11/28 22:31:07 )

haha ty!! i hope it's not something i just say every 2 months and never do Lol ... it def seems to me like u are constantly writing lol (which is always v inspiring) but i'm sure you need breaks too :-)

i had planned a few short stories i wanted to do for nano! i think it would be fun to make a little anthology and put them into a little book together or something :"-) i still have the story ideas written down so i'm hoping when i have the time/capacity i can just start, even if i'm not in the mood/mindset i'm sure just starting can get me into it! (like action creating motivation instead of waiting for the opposite to happen)

Donator — they/them Posted 3 years ago ( 2020/11/28 22:32:09 )

yeah i love soundscapes too!! in the past they've really helped me thru coping w anxiety
ambient stuff really does affect my mood, even if it's not always conscious or explicit!

one of my friends is really into ambient music and got me into it a bit, i found some albums that are like soundscapes + music that i really like :0
(no pressure to listen or anything lol)

Donator Posted 3 years ago ( 2020/11/28 22:35:56 )

@xvz: that kind of music/noise is soo relaxing, it always makes me feel sleepy lol, which is not necessarily a bad thing. I was bedbound with mental health issues about two years ago, and I listened to rain sounds 24/7 and it really helped!
What kind of short stories? Genre etc? I much prefer writing short stories personally, I just find them much easier. I too would like to compile an anthology of stories, one day.

currently: new novel who dis?

q u e s t i n g :
beanie doll! thank u cookie

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2020/11/28 23:29:45 )

Silence, the White Mage is now speaking.

@Wildfire: hey wild :3 i just got back from food with a friend. whatcha been up to?

I am not an actual NPC.

please @ me

Donator — they/them Posted 3 years ago ( 2020/11/29 00:16:15 )

@sunny: ahh bedbound is super tough <3
and i feel u there is something abt water sounds that just heals my soul ... i'd have water sounds playing 24/7

i bet you have so many stories at this point, i'd think u have enough for an anthology already! how many would u say u have done so far?

the ones i wanna write , i think it'll be like general speculative fiction .... let me find my list of story ideas ...

- wishing well that grants corrupted wishes
- ghost sightings but wholesome / sweet
- sci fi adaptation of an old myth
- false awakening dream / surreal, loop multiple times ... is the last one really waking up or ??

i'm going for something surreal, maybe v mild horror??, and maybe something sci fi...
it's been a long time since i've seen the animatrix but i think that format / theme is an influence
i have some "notes" for stuff i wanna try (scenes or settings) but no plot to go w it yet, i might play mix n match later as i need em?

⠀∘◦ᵒ .⋆。˚☽⠀ {⠀art shop⠀·⠀gallery⠀·⠀closet⠀}⠀☽˚。⋆. ᵒ◦∘

∘◦ᵒ .⋆。˚☽⠀ {⠀buying / questing: capricorn ⠀}⠀☽˚。⋆. ᵒ◦∘

art by kiwi and koneko <3

Donator — UWU/ Posted 3 years ago ( 2020/11/29 00:31:26 )
"Dino Kairu in his natural habitat..

@xvz: we dont celebrate thanksgiving but we did ate kfc, best times xD

Nomming all da cookies likes nobodys business..." -uwu- - Kairu OC
月の兎 ☆★☆ 鹿の光
カイル • WISHLIST

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2020/11/29 02:11:54 )

@Wildfire: It ended up being too windy, but I did walk a ton today. I walked 6.5 miles instead. It was sunny out and not too cold if you were in the sun.

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.