Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Hangouts ┤▒├ Wildfire's World ┤▒├ All welcome, all the time - come say Hi!

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/05/20 13:08:51 )

It's going to be getting a trail run on the 5th at a local convention.

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/05/20 13:10:22 )
5th of June? Wow - that's pretty soon. I bet you're excited though! :3

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/05/20 13:11:02 )

I am very excited.

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/05/20 13:13:07 )
I bet! Are your friends going too?

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/05/20 13:14:30 )

Some of them are yeah.

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/05/20 13:15:52 )
This is a local, smaller convention, though, right?

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/05/20 13:17:29 )

Pretty much.

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/05/20 13:21:12 )
Cool. As long as you have fun, right? I know you were bummed about not being able to go last year.

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/05/20 13:23:33 )

That was really disappointing. But this time I get to go in suit, and have others with me...>w> And go with money and not be poor.

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/05/20 13:25:44 )
So it's all bonus! It sounds like it'll work out just fine - even if you had to 'skip' a year :3

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/05/20 13:30:27 )

Mhmm. Having a job is making doing fun stuff much easier.

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/05/20 13:31:59 )
LOL. Yes, earning money does tend to have that effect! XD

Donator Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/05/20 15:08:49 )
Good Morning.

Donator Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/05/20 15:11:48 )
@Wildfire: I have edX pulled up, I've been snooping through that site, seeing what they offer. I do enjoy learning. Thank you for the site recommendation, I have a feeling my husband will enjoy this site too.

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/05/20 15:18:24 )
@Koah: Good morning! *coffee-cup cheers*
Oh, I'm so glad you're looking at it - you seem excited about some of the options! What kinds of things are you looking at?

Donator Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/05/20 15:26:10 )
@Wildfire: Recently, I've been on a philosophy kick. I'm trying to understand reasoning and higher education/learning.
lol, my husband and I were talking recently and he made the comment "yeah, our son is more Vulcan than I am." and I laughed, then realized he's right.
My husband is intelligent, but his childhood was a mess, so he was an angry kid. Our son has a comfy childhood and is absorbing knowledge like candy.
I've been dipping my toes in philosophy and reasoning to better understand how to educate my kids. Well, And the topic of interest helps keep my emotions at bay.
What classes have you taken? OR interested in doing? whats' your favorite topics?

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/05/20 16:14:55 )
@Koah: Oh!!! Uhh... let's see... this is going back several years for me when I was starting my homeschool journey, but there are some "classics" you might find helpful - The Well Trained Mind by Bauer... and a couple others. OMG, over the last year, I think my brain ditched 90% of the homeschool information it was storing! I'll see if I can remember them for you. One of the best pieces of advice I can give you is to figure out your kids' learning styles and to keep that in mind when you teach them.

Philosophy has long been of interest to me, and physics, and art, of course, but I took an Italian Opera class online last year which was fun and I started and not-quite-finished a marketing class (mostly a refresher for me, given my background and experiences), and I tried and never followed up taking an Italian language class with edX... which I'm thinking about starting again, but we seem to be in a "clean up and get organized" mode around here, which is long overdue so I'm trying to roll with that.

Donator Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/05/20 16:46:46 )
@Wildfire: Thank you for the recommendation. <3 I put The Well Trained Mind in my amazon wishlist. Don't worry too much about getting me info. You can finally relax and take a break from the homeschooling stuff. I imagine it was an exhausting route to take.
I decided to send my daughter back to public school next year and keep my son home. My daughter learns much better at the hand of others. I get frustrated too easily with her learning style.
We have a lot in common then. I love philosophy [as of recently], but I did focus heavily on psychology in college, art, and literature. Marketing is something I'd like to do, but I'd rather focus on business management. That was my work history. My work history is mostly small business management, marketing, and salesmanship.
"clean up and get organized" is a good mode to be in. C:

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/05/20 17:02:20 )

@Wildfire: the leg area feels empty though, so maybe i should switch the leg mod for several layers of commons xD

But then the legs will be a bit too short given how much space the spoon takes up.... /thinking

please @ me

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/05/20 18:57:41 )
@Koah: Cathy Duffy is another name that comes to mind for basic homeschooling information - curriculum, I think (again, I haven't thought about this stuff in years, really... got that "true homeschooling veteran" thing going on, and with my kids ageing out of the co-ops (+pandemic), I haven't even been asked about this stuff by the younger moms in forever XD ). I'll think of them, though, and you can always run stuff by me - even if I don't remember off the top of my head, it's likely that a question from you would bring it allllll back. Use my experience to your advantage! UUUuuuuuse meeeeEEeeee XD

Homeschooling definitely had its exhausting moments (just like parenting) but it had sooooo many more positive and enriching moments and opportunities... it was sooo worth it (unless I was fighting with my youngest about doing even the bare essentials of his work for the year /eyeroll/). It sounds like you understand your kids pretty well already on the "how do they best learn" level, so that's a big plus (you'd be surprised at how many parents apparently do not)!

Yes, I love literature too. It does sound like we share a lot of similar interests (at this point, is that really a surprise? LOL!)

'Clean up and get organized' is a lot of work! But we have a compost bin being delivered today, and I just sold a step climber thing that we had an extra of (don't ask *points at hubby*), and I'm hoping somebody is interested in my son's "old" F150 work truck so he can at least recover the new transmission he put in the thing (this is the one he fishtailed in to a ditch /eyeroll/)

┤▒├ Hangout with me! ┤▒├

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.