Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Hangouts ┤▒├ Wildfire's World ┤▒├ All welcome, all the time - come say Hi!

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/01/1 16:51:27 )
@Aisukohi: we used to have both as well, but we don't watch that much TV usually and it just got annoying trying to find things between the different services

@Another Movie Addict: LOL - they're looking for something to do today?

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/01/1 16:52:12 )
This is exactly

I guess. People bought a lot of classics and self-help books yesterday. So maybe some of them were there for their New Year's resolutions.

what you think it is.

Donator — She/Her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/01/1 17:01:33 )
@Wildfire: Understandable. We're always finding something to watch, even if it means rewatching series because it was just that good lol.

AMA, That makes sense. Eventually I'd like to read all the classics that I wasn't made to read in high school. See what all the fuss is about.

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/01/1 17:11:20 )
AMA, I bet a lot of the books you sold yesterday had something to do with the new year... rather last minute, but ...

Aisu, we do that too - or my husband does, anyway...
You should read the classics, imo :3

Donator — She/Her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/01/1 17:34:27 )
I know some of my siblings have some of the classics I never read, so I'll just borrow their copy lol.

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/01/1 17:35:03 )
This is exactly

I've read a fair few of the classics at my store. Either because of school, or just because I was a pretentious teenager. Quick warning. The Three Musketeers is annoying to read.

what you think it is.

Donator — She/Her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/01/1 17:45:30 )
Sounds like a nice way to pass the time.
I think the two that I read and couldn't stand were As I Lay Dying and Great Expectations. The writing styles of both authors were terrible, imo.

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/01/1 17:51:15 )
This is exactly

The Three Musketeers likes to meander and go off on tangents completely unrelated to the plot. Whole bunch of shit that could be edited out.

Honestly I haven't read much of Dicken's work. Probably should eventually. But I hate Nathaniel Hawthrone.

what you think it is.

Donator — She/Her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/01/1 17:59:15 )
I don't think I'd enjoy reading that then lol. I get annoyed when writers do that, so thanks for the heads up.

I felt like both Dickens and Hawthorne took forever to get to the point. Great Expectations was a bit of a dry read for me, whereas AILD...Hawthorne wrote run-ons like it was nobody's business. And the one chapter where it was literally 5 words. Utter BS.

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/01/1 18:00:37 )
This is exactly

Yep. I tried to read House of Seven Gables and damn could Hawthrone just go on and one about one freaking room.

what you think it is.

Donator — She/Her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/01/1 18:03:56 )
RIGHT?! I hope my son doesn't have to read any of his works when he gets that age. If so, I'll probably just get him the cliff notes or something to avoid the same headache I had.

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/01/1 18:05:29 )
@Another Movie Addict: I enjoyed The Three Musketeers.

Gulliver's Travels, however... I agree with you guys about Dickens and Hawthorne too, but it was the writing style of the period...

Donator — She/Her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/01/1 18:08:12 )
I should really read The Merchant of Venice, which is where my name comes from. I picked up a copy once, but have yet to actually read it, heh.

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/01/1 18:09:58 )
@Aisukohi: Shakespeare! Definitely read it :3
(I taught a few classes on Shakespeare and his works at the local homeschool co-op)

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/01/1 18:10:15 )
This is exactly

I'm waiting for the next time I'm allowed to buy from my own store. >w< Get me some more classics.

I actually prefer the writing of Alexandre Dumas' son.

what you think it is.

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/01/1 18:12:30 )
@Another Movie Addict: I'm not thinking of anything by his son right now... examples?
I really like Dumas, though, generally speaking :3 The Count of Monte Cristo is an interesting read imo. <3

Donator — She/Her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/01/1 18:14:42 )
I've read a few of Shakespeare's works, but never the story of my namesake lol.

The Count of Monte Cristo...for some reason, I've never finished that book, and I've tried reading it at least twice. I'm not sure why I can't seem to finish it, because it IS an interesting read! I won't watch the movie until I read the book entirely.
Goodbye, Voltra.
Feel free to add me on Discord: aisu9811

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/01/1 18:20:48 )
Oh wow - it has been forever since I've seen the movie!
Portia, right? :3 That play is one that I'm sure I've read, and although I remember the synopsis, I don't remember a lot of the details for some reason.

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/01/1 18:21:03 )
This is exactly

Alexandre Dumas Jr wrote Camille, which loosely inspired Moulin Rouge. It's about a kept woman who falls in love, but dies of consumption.

what you think it is.

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/01/1 18:22:33 )
@Another Movie Addict: Haven't read that one. I'll have to go find it and read it. :3

I just pulled The Tempest off my shelf to read. Amazingly enough, I don't think I've actually read that one...

┤▒├ Hangout with me! ┤▒├

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.