Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Reaping Ritual 2020: TTLG Is this your first Voltra event?

Donator — She/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/11/4 06:58:56 )

@MoodyBats: I think that's really cool. It's hard to be a writer.

@Vixen: Yeah you have a good point. It's not like Amazon doesn't have the money. There is always a more hardcore player. lol
Do you like the books and movies? I tried to read the books when I was a kid and I couldn't finish it. I did like the movies. They were really well done.

Donator — they/them Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/11/4 07:14:16 )
════════════════⠀ ∘◦ᵒ .⋆。˚☽˚。⋆. ᵒ◦∘
⠀|⠀spooky chat

woahh TIL amazon owns twitch ?? dang ngl this changes the way i feel abt twitch lol

∘◦ᵒ .⋆。˚☽˚。⋆. ᵒ◦∘ ⠀════════════

Voltie — Moody Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/11/4 07:16:01 )
Moody Says. . .

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

@Totalanimefan: yeah but i don't write anymore lol.
don't think it was ever for me.

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/11/4 07:17:10 )

@Totalanimefan: ugh yeah and every year fire season just gets LONGER and it's like.. I don't want it to become something that we have to deal with year-round
blue state is nice. the presidential election is (maybe) down the toilet but at least it's comforting that my local area is becoming more progressive.
what are some of your favorite things to do in DC? I will make an advanced list ;3c
I put on my bucket list that I want to see a sunrise over the water bc that's something I can never see over here ahaha. would have to get up really early but I think it would be cool!

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/11/4 07:17:14 )

@Totalanimefan: Always more hardcore player is definitely true. Too much social politics in raiding community though imo. I tried to read the books and I got through the first third and the Hobbit, but it was really dry. I'm pretty sure I've learned more about Tolkien's world from reading Wikipedia than actually reading his works lol. I do really adore the LOTR movies (save for a couple of plot changes) and the Hobbit movies were ok I guess, but it couldn't compare to the LOTR ones for me. Hobbit movies tried to tell too many stories at once and strayed a little too far away from the source than I would have liked. How about you?

@xvz: Yep that's why Amazon Prime gives you one free sub.

Donator — She/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/11/4 07:32:47 )

@xvz: I'm not a fan of amazon either. They really need to treat their warehouse workers better.

@MoodyBats: Oh I didn't know. I think that writing is really hard, it's not for me either.

@Hachi: Yes, why the heck did wildfire season start in August this year. That's way too early, and it's not even over yet. Plus the heatwaves in the Bay Area are getting worse. It used to be a place where you didn't need AC, but now you can't really live without it.
I'm not really happy with tonights results, but it's not over yet. We have heard for weeks about how it's not going to be called in one night because of all of the mail in voting. So I'm holding out hope.
There are so many fav things in DC. The food in this city is really good. The best museums are free! The monuments at the national mall are beautiful and tell a story. In spring the Cherry Blossoms are beautiful. They are some of the same kinds you would find in Japan, plus cherry blossom festivals. I haven't been here in spring yet. This fall has been pretty so far but we haven't had peak fall colors yet. If you like pretty looking buildings DC is your city. There are also a lot of tree lined streets. It's very walkable too. I can give you more tips instead of broad ones. Lots of recommendations for food too.
Sunrise over the water/ocean is so beautiful and it feels good on your mind and soul. In DC I don't know if you would get that because it's on a river, not the ocean, but I can tell you it's super beautiful from a beach in FL. I always make sure that I see the sunrise once on the beach while I'm there.

Donator — She/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/11/4 07:35:29 )

@Vixen: social politics in the raiding community? I haven't heard about that. Tell me more. OMG The Hobbit is so dry. I got to like page 50 and then I returned it to the library. I just couldn't lol. I only saw the first Hobbit movie. I didn't see the others. I wasn't against seeing it but I was a poor student when the movies came out and then I just never got around to it.

Voltie — Moody Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/11/4 07:36:15 )
Moody Says. . .

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

@Totalanimefan: I only draw now.
and keeping at that. i pretty much gave up on writing a year or two ago lol.

If you need my attention for any reason please ping me.
[My Website]

Donator — they/them Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/11/4 07:41:32 )
⠀|⠀spooky chat

@vixen: ohhh that totally makes sense, i never would have realized!
i guess i just assumed it was like a sponsorship kind of thing, not that they... owned twitch lol

@totalanimefan: yeah i'd love to see big tech get broken up but honestly i doubt it'll happen, if anything it's only going to continue to go in one direction :s

i remember going to the national air and space museum in dc once when i was young! it stuck w me cuz it was so cool! i'd love to go back someday
it does hurt my body a bit to spend a day at a museum (being on my feet / walking that much is hard for me) but i feel like it's still totally worth it!

Donator — She/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/11/4 07:55:21 )

@MoodyBats: How often are you drawing?

@xvz: I also just heard someone talk about that in the news. What are you ideas or options about breaking up big tech? That's a cool museum a lot people like that one the best. I haven't been yet. The museums are huge. You can spend the whole day in one and not see everything.

Donator — She/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/11/4 07:55:32 )

I'm going to go to bed soon.

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/11/4 08:04:29 )

@Totalanimefan: Raiding groups tend to be pretty tight-knit, especially when the raiding community as a whole a small (e.g. LOTRO in general, and my server in particular). In other words, barrier to entry to the general raiding scene is somewhat high. Almost all of the groups that run the current raid on high tiers are done behind closed doors. No one will PUG a high tier raid from world chat...like ever. Because when you pick a random person out, majority of the time, the individual has one or more of these issues: insufficient stats, bad gearing, bad skill rotation, incorrect UI, doesn't know the run, can't learn the run efficiently on the fly, no voice chat, no comms etc. On top of that, most raids need a particular group composition, so it helps to set rosters prior and do any last minute PUG/filling in raider-specific channels.

So to set rosters, typically this is done is various Discords. These Discords usually are specific for groups, and groups have varying levels of barrier to entry. Things like, are there slots open for certain roles, does the individual meld well with the rest of the team etc. As far as I know, the group management I've encountered tends to not be particularly well-structured as other games. The ones I've encountered do not do interviews and some don't even do applications. What tends to happen is an individual fills (backup filling a role on-call; not on the roster) a raid for a particular group through a mutual friend of sorts, that individual is deemed competent and proceeds to continue fill or possibly sign up for raids with the group more frequently, and this in turn eventually earns them a spot in the core group. This has a lot to do with luck and timing for the new individual in "getting their name out there".

This is all fine and dandy, but the process that might be touchy, especially if the individual in question wanting to rush to the end of getting into the core group. The first thing about sign ups is that signs ups do not guarantee a spot on the roster. Depending on who's setting the roster, one might need to be closer friends with the raid leader etc. to get onto the roster. This is the first bit that can cause drama. An individual feels like they are always getting passed over on the roster -- that they have to be "friendly" with certain people to get onto a roster. That's what I call social politics. Usually I say this is indicative of poor management since if someone is passed over on a roster, I generally recommend not passing them over on the next sign up, but not everyone is good about doing this and technically you can run your raids however you want. I know guilds generally will prioritize guild members first, and then guild acquaintances for runs, but depending on group competency, the acquaintances may end up on the roster more often if the other newer guild members are weaker in their roles. Again, that contributes to the constant passing-over feelings for some.

That is the second bit that causes drama -- often raid leaders are setting rosters based on group competency, so someone who repeatedly fails to learn mechanics or never gets better at their role/class can get socially blacklisted as an individual that's hard to work with. So now there are prominent members within the raid community who collectively dislike certain players. I call that "inviting drama". It means certain people can't be put in the same group because it'll end up in animosity, in-fighting, blaming, toxicity etc if the run isn't a first-try clean run.

And then there's infighting on how raids "should" be run, what the loot rules are, what the strategy will be etc. These generally are all set prior to even setting up a sign up, but not everyone is clear about expectations of how participants will interact with the group, so that miscommunication also tends to blow up in people's faces.

And then there are other issues of incompetent leadership etc. But that's a whole different bucket of worms :) Thanks for coming to my TedTalk lol

Voltie — they/them Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/11/4 08:04:44 )

@Totalanimefan: I'm going to try and stick around for this event.
There's always a chance I'll forget about it lol, but I can try.

I love your avatar, btw!

please @ me if you want a response
art by blinkini

Donator — they/them Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/11/4 08:05:06 )
⠀|⠀spooky chat

@totalanimefan: yeah i think there's a antitrust lawsuit rn, is that what you were hearing about?
hmm well for example alphabet is like a conglomerate now - like it owns multiple companies basically - and i think same with amazon too (whole foods, apparently twitch lol)... i mean a lot of places are like that ... like fb owns whatsapp and ig, etc.
i can understand from a company perspective why you would want to do that, but from a user perspective i hate the way my data gets used wo my permission, for the purpose of extracting money from consumers, and how it all gets linked through all these services that i can't escape ... i'd love to see ppl have more ownership over their data, or like at least get compensated for the ways user data gets used or have more control over it
do you have thoughts about it?

which of the dc museums have you been to so far? any favorites yet?
it's fun that they're huge - gives u reasons to go more than once!

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/11/4 08:05:55 )

@xvz: I think Amazon acquired Twitch several years back. Maybe 2014? I don't really watch that much Twitch, so I don't know how different things have changed since the acquisition.

Donator — they/them Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/11/4 08:24:59 )
⠀|⠀spooky chat

i honestly didn't even hear about twitch until around 2014 or 2015? and back then i didn't really know what it was for, just heard people mention it hear or there, i think it wasn't until the past year or two that i started to figure out what it was
i looked it up and i guess it's been around since 2011, i'm surprised it got bought after just 3 years though, it must have been growing really fast or something :0

Donator — they/them Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/11/4 08:29:10 )
⠀|⠀spooky chat

well now it's pretty huge and i'd be curious to see how it expands outside of gaming culture (i think discord is sort of doing this too?) - like apparently there are niches for art streaming, etc. - v interesting to see how the subcultures emerge from the platform :0

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/11/4 08:44:50 )
this is My first first reaping ritual event but I was arround 2 other events.
My Store

there's a Hunter who killed the queen of all gaia...whoever you are you will be known as "Killer of ALL gaia" and Have no respect. I know who you are! everyone will know that you killed my 17-year old account. what next? go after my friends? It's over, Killer Queen of All gaia...

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/11/4 08:49:09 )

@xvz: it just happened to be the platform that did streaming first and somewhat well and accessible. Art streams are nice, though I am more of a speedpaint Youtube video fan myself XD

please @ me

Donator — they/them Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/11/4 09:00:19 )
⠀|⠀spooky chat

@vixen: i love speedpaint youtube! do you have any favorite channels?
i feel so inspired after watching them

i think the last few ppl i watched are emilyena , sinix design's face anatomy paintings, anddd i've seen a few of marc brunet's videos ... but most of it has just been whatever yt shows me so i'd love to know if others have suggestions!

⠀∘◦ᵒ .⋆。˚☽⠀ {⠀art shop⠀·⠀gallery⠀·⠀closet⠀}⠀☽˚。⋆. ᵒ◦∘

∘◦ᵒ .⋆。˚☽⠀ {⠀buying / questing: capricorn ⠀}⠀☽˚。⋆. ᵒ◦∘

art by kiwi and koneko <3

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.