Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Hangouts ✐ Pixel Academy -- Practice and Challenges together!

Voltie — she/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/29 20:20:35 )

Update: Jolly is currently lagging due to life being.. life-like. I encourage you guys to keep on pixeling! Even if there are delays and the host is slightly out of order for the time being. There is intention to bring this thread back to life to accomplish its original goal once time is back on my side! I will let you all know. Thanks for hanging around and keeping this place moving in my absence <33

image made on Picrew, click to make your own!

Have you ever considered picking up pixel art? Tried it, lost motivation, but still want to get back into it? Or perhaps you've already developed your pixelling skills and would like to join in some fun activities anyway! This thread's main goal is to wake up our inspiration and help each other become more comfortable in the art of pixels.

Come, share your experiences, and make pixels together! Off topic chats are also welcome.

By the way, I am also not a pixel artist, so I'll be learning alongside everyone. My personal goal is to create a useful tileset for myself in RPG maker. It'll be fun, so why not?

Biweekly pixel demands:
Next demand 2-14-20

BOWS
completed pixels will be posted here with credit linked

Previous theme

Bonus

Valentines Day themes!

Drop a suggestion for what future themes should be! If I get enough ideas down, I can RNG them :D

Ultimate Optional Goals!
These are some bigger projects that might be inspiring to work towards. You may treat them as assignments or you don't have to do them at all--its all in good fun!

Create a pixel room for your avi/oc!
Create a pixel shop to sell your creations or commission something!
Create tilesets for a game/RPG maker/other use!

Voltie — she/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/29 20:24:35 )
Rules!
Don't pick up a pencil tool before reading these! They're important in respecting each other and artists in general.

✏ This thread is for PIXEL art ONLY. And chitchats. Let's learn together!
✏ Experienced pixel artists are welcome and encouraged to blow us out of the waters with their skills! Become a point of inspiration for our grasshoppers. Perhaps our simplicity might inspire you as well?
✏ Do not use ANY pixels within this thread without permission from the person who made it. All pixels in these main posts will also be links to the artists, whether internal or external.
✏ Obviously, do not claim anything as your own if you did not make it. If your pixel art is a recolor, please state that so you are not taking full credit from the original artist.
✏ Posting your pixels in this thread means that you are, by default, allowing me to use them ONLY within the thread (for the main posts). Gotta show you guys off, right? Of course, you have every right to request I don't post your pixels up in the spotlight and I will gladly oblige.
✏ Feel free to give CONSTRUCTIVE criticism/critiques to the artists in this thread--we are here to learn together! If you don't want to receive criticism, please specify it when you post something. Just a simple "no crits pls" and others must oblige.
✏ Any bases or recolors that I post may have individual rules as to when and how to use them, so PLEASE read those before using! This is to respect the artists who made them and what they had requested for the free use of their work.
✏ I can add bases and recolors that YOU have made if you wish! If that becomes a thing, I'll make a special little spot for them :D
✏ If you're using tutorials that have worked for you, share with the class? Not required but I'm sure we'd all be inspired to see!
✏ DO NOT get a butt ache if your pixels don't look as good as the next person's. Everyone learns at a different pace, but it doesn't mean we can't all reach the same goals!
✏ No Pokemon sprites! They're very cute, but to accept them here would contradict the other rules about obtaining permission.
✏ Suggestions and Feedback for the thread is very much welcome! Feel free to PM me with any concerns as well. I might not always log on every day, but I will respond asap.

✏ You are NOT required to pixel anything in this thread. Feel free to simply hang out with us c:

Voltie — she/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/29 20:26:33 )

Free to use Bases! Lets make our avis, ocs, or fanarts with them!
Follow each of their links to the original artist pages so you may READ their rules before using!

Also see to these links for others:
KawaiiHannah
Leviathen
Humaruya

Voltie — she/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/29 21:17:05 )

Tutorials and Tools to use!

Pixel Tutorial by dogquest

Pixel Tutorial by Tiriii

Pixel Icon Tutorial by Kia-chaaan

Almighty Grass

How to Pick nice colors by MortMort

MortMort again on Where To Start!

Lospec website for Tutorials and pallet lists

Dithering by sadfacerl

Shading Textures by uszatyarbuz

Pixel Icecream steps by Koffeelam

35 Icecream by cloudylicious

How to make Swirl by Ice-pandora

✗ MS Paint
✗ Clip Studio Paint ($50-100)
✗ Pixaki ($24.99)
✗ Aseprite ($14.99)
✗ Piskel
✗ Pixel Studio (easy interface but its a bit blurry in result so far)

Pixel Joint is a pixel centered gallery website. Go here if you'd like to set up a gallery for yourself, or just to browse existing ones for inspiration.

Drew's 'Have a Treat' Shop a pixel shop here on voltra <3

Voltie — she/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/29 21:17:28 )
Look what we've done!

Jolly

Llama

Koneko

Glume

Alethna

Priestess of Pie

Misery

Hachi

Dawnpainterz

Voltie — she/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/29 22:20:15 )

final reserve post
Aight, let's do this guys!
tagging everyone who showed interest in my GD thread :>

@koneko
@llama
@vengeance
@synth
@milkdaddy

Donator — she/they Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/29 22:44:08 )
─ ──┤├────────── ─

^ping didn't work

This is looking really great! Gotta go to bed soon, but hopefully I'll have some time to try and pixel something when I get home tomorrow :D

Kawaiihannah has a bunch of super cute bases here, you can see the rules for thtem by clicking one of the bases.
There's a lot, so maybe just a link to the page itself would be better if you add it to the base list ^^

Piskel is a free browser and desktop app where you can make pixel art, including frames for gifs, I'd definitely recommend it.

─ ──────────┤├── ─

Voltie — she/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/29 22:48:19 )

@llama:
oops, do pings not work if people didnt post first? xD

Oh my, I forgot about kawaiihannah! I'll add a link for her bases.
thanks for the suggestion also!

I should be doing hw but i want to pixel something first now lmao

Donator — she/they Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/29 22:49:58 )
─ ──┤├────────── ─

@Jolly:
I think you just forgot the : at the end of them xD

Haha I also wanna start on something even though I should really be getting to bed, this thread has me super hyped!

─ ──────────┤├── ─

Voltie — she/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/29 22:55:07 )

@koneko:
@vengeance:
@synth:
@milkdaddy:
I didn't tag right the first time so here we go lmao

@llama:
fair enough, I didn't think to add those. I usually let the site autofill my tags cause I'm lazy

Right, I wanna pixel as much as I can before my break week ends! lol but I also have a final to do as homework for one of my classes

Donator — she/they Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/29 22:58:39 )
─ ──┤├────────── ─

@Jolly:
I usually just click the @Mention button lol

Well if as long as you don't completely forget to do your homework, I'm sure it'll be fine :viowink:

─ ──────────┤├── ─

Voltie — she/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/29 23:19:26 )

@llama:
I made a candle~ ?

Lmaoo next ill be sure to follow tutorials

Donator — She/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/29 23:32:26 )

I love this thread. I look forward to seeing what everyone comes up with.

Donator — she/they Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/29 23:35:56 )
─ ──┤├────────── ─

@Jolly:
That is so cute though! I love the color you chose o:

I've been playing around with this, but I'm really struggling (flame was meant to be added later when I figured the candle itself out)
might just start over tomorrow lol

Either way I should go to bed now, otherwise I'm gonna be way too tired to get up tomorrow xD

─ ──────────┤├── ─
● sry, i'm not that interesting ●
also please ping me

Voltie — she/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/29 23:39:52 )

@totalanimefan:
will you be joining us in drawing pixels too? xD

@llama:
I felt the same about mine
I like what you've got though! the shading is pretty good

get some sleep! haha

Donator — She/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/29 23:41:45 )

@Jolly: I have no way to do so and I'm not talented at it either. I tried in like 2008 and I just couldn't understand well how to use the colors together and how to get colors together for shading. ^^;

Voltie — she/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/29 23:46:28 )

@totalanimefan:
I barely understand how to do it either. I mainly use logic from my normal art shading and try to apply it in pixel.
tutorials will probably be more helpful over time and practice, which is why I made this thread.
learning with other people might be more motivating~

Donator — She/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/29 23:52:37 )

@Jolly: I'm also not a 'normal' artist either ^^;

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

Voltie — she/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/30 00:16:34 )

@totalanimefan:
Well thats okay ^^ maybe this thread will bring in more people to chat with

Ahhh i tried using one of the bases above

Voltie — she/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/30 04:10:58 )

@koneko:
I didnt originally plan to do it so soon. initially meant like, in a couple months. when my classes are less abundant lmao
but I got excited

Yeah I should probably do that. maybe I can go by my pay days so I can keep track a bit easier xD chose to only do them biweekly cause of how busy my life is, dont always have time to update a thread.

also thanks!
I am leaving Voltra
Find my links here

08 22 22

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.