Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat I am seriously melting. [rant?]

Donator — Fluffywuff Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/07/3 00:00:35 )
We have no A/C here, and it is over 100. I'm posting on here in slight sadness, since sleep is now impossible.

Everyone tells us to get an air conditioner, but it is too expensive to run it, since they raised the rates for electricity. :/

HALP

Donator — Monster Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/07/3 00:04:11 )

Oh geez... Have you tried crushing ice in a big ziplock baggy and placing that by the fan? It's weird but I hear it works..Sometimes.

The temperatures that have been popping up lately are really scaring me now. ;_;

Donator — she/they Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/07/3 00:04:58 )
I feel your pain. I'm summering with a fever! Heat is the worst. Also cold. I'm unhappy in every weather.

Donator — Fluffywuff Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/07/3 00:12:34 )
@Sulley: It can be amazing sometimes how the most basic things can work, huh? :3
@Glume: OMG. You poor thing. How on Earth can you stand that? DDD:

Donator Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/07/3 00:14:45 )
Go lay in a bathtub of cool water!
I can't imagine going without AC where I live.
Even now at 7pm it's in the 90's and it says it feels like 103.

Donator — Fluffywuff Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/07/3 00:19:48 )
@Mousy: Is it a moist heat like here? Or is it a dry heat? I remember going to California, and I barely felt the difference between 80 and 115, since it was so dry there.

Donator — she/they Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/07/3 00:38:51 )
@Kozi: I'm hardcore *throws the horns*
Ping me, Devil Daddy, ping me.

Donator — Fluffywuff Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/07/3 00:43:07 )
@Glume: Mmm. That sounds hot. ba dum tss

Donator Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/07/3 01:28:20 )
@kozi:
It's always humid here.
It's humid and steamy. Bleh.

Donator — Fluffywuff Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/07/3 02:12:33 )
@Mousy: That sounds like a freaking nightmare to me. How on Earth do you cope with it? DDD:

Donator Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/07/3 02:16:03 )
@kozi: spend as little time outside as possible.
Complaining a lot helps. XD
Unless you're in a pool.
Then you good. :vanora_sun:
Please ping! I get distracted easily.

Donator — Fluffywuff Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/07/3 02:19:24 )
@Mousy: Oh man. A pool sounds so good right now. I don't even care that it's 10pm, lol.

Oh my love, I know you are my candyman
And oh my love, let us fly to bounty land~~

Közi (“Kouji.”)
He/him

Voltie — sewer rat Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/07/3 04:35:42 )
oh man i remember my days w/o a/c. my heart goes out to u bro. :vanora_cry:
what u gotta do: keep the sun out as much as possible, i.e. keep the shades pulled down, curtains shut, block windows with computer paper if u have to. we want a solar eclipse inside ur house. all the shade. all the darkness. if u need light, turn on the lights bc honestly they give off less heat than sunlight imo.
and whatever u do, do not open the freaking windows to "cool off." that is an illusion. if u live in an insulated house (and most houses are insulated btw), ur house will naturally feel cooler compared to outside. you can double check this! (unless you already left the windows and doors open then RIP nvm then.) key word here: insulation (for those that don't know: it's the fluffy stuff in between walls that keeps the house warm in winter and cold in summer by several degrees.). don't make the same mistake like younger me and mess up this thermodynamic cycle(?) up lmao.
open it only if it feels cooler outside than in. like maybe at night (but sometimes it's not even cooler at night, so maybe not. use ur best judgement)
TL;DR: do what u can to make cooler/cold air. then do what u can to keep that cold air in. rinse and repeat

if you're willing to relocate for a bit, the basement is naturally the coolest part of the house in hot weather. i think it has something to with dirt being a good insulator.
and the most important tip of all is to drink lots of water!!! cool some down in the freezer. throw some wet towels, or ice packs in there too. keep your head and body cool to prevent heatstroke.
remembr to check on the elderly and maybe google for local cooling centers.

sayonara cheesecakes ( 0 ڡ≦)ゞ✩◄-gallery-►

Donator — A.I. Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/07/3 13:24:14 )
Second someone's suggestion of putting a bag of ice by the fan -- this is essentially a swamp cooler. Even a bin or bowl of ice in front of a fan will do WONDERS for you c:

I'm so thankful to have AC q-q my heart goes out to you.

please ping me if you need my attention! || stardust || be excellent to each other ♥
[ often multitasking unsuccessfully ] | [ I may take a while to respond, but haven't forgotten you! ♥ ]
qu'est-ce que tu vas chercher?

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.