Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Serious Talk losing large amounts of weight

Donator — nyan? Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/10/23 16:13:32 )
Staff Memo:
This thread was locked due to inactivity, if you wish to unlock your thread please issue a ticket. Instructions to unlock thread found here.

neko says;
so im gonna hope you guys arent too judgemental of me when i post this
my self esteem is already shit and im actually trying to better myself so pls no h8 THANK U :^)

but i'm 22 (almost 23 hi), and my entire life i've been obese
i'm at my heaviest now of 440 pounds (i know. ok. i know don't tell me about how bad that is, I KNOW)
i found out about 2 years ago i have a thyroid problem, and i thought being on medication would help me
if anything it's made me lax and i've ate more junk and been even more lazy and i've gained

so i'm trying this new thing : exercise
i've never really worked out before, or ate correct portions. im a SUPER picky eater and surprise, my favorite foods are bad for you

but i'm at the point where i'm going to die man..... like im SO unhealthy
so i just did 30 crunches
70 leg lifts per leg
and 30 push ups

i know its probably tiny compared to what a lot of people do, but when you're this heavy that feels like a HUGE accomplishment and now i'm crying while reading typing this

i guess this thread is for weight support, diet support, and for us to have a safe space to talk about getting healthier without people being jerks

October 23, 2017 ::: Weigh in: 440lb

Voltie — they/them Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/10/23 16:28:54 )
Thank you so so so much for posting this.
As of a recent health examination, I am overweight, with a waistline larger than the local standard, and a severely unbalanced fat to muscle ration. It was a big blow to me and I'm still in denial because up until these past three years, i have been very underweight. And it was definitely not healthy either; I didn't exercise and i was a picky eater. As I ate more in range and amount though, I somehow shifted the nature of my metabolism and now all the weight I've gained has stuck.

As a kid, being chubby was cute, and I was a literal bag of bones. So not cute. Now I'm grown up and suddenly being chubby, which I am now, is just not okay. I used to be forcefed because my parents didn't want strangers to think they were starving me. But I think people are crueler to heavier people. I have family members pinching my fat and slapping my ass and calling me a pig. So while I used to complain about being too thin, I now know how brutal and rude people can be to heavy people.

I still don't exercise. It's very hard for me to do so because I have a rare disorder that makes it so I can't process energy from foods properly. It leaves me tired and fatigued and easily winded. It's a vicious cycle...

Voltie Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/10/23 16:46:32 )
Why so afraid? Heh heh...

Whoa! That's a lot of exercise and you should be proud. I can't even do a push-up...

Drink... and be merry, heh heh.

Donator — nyan? Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/10/23 16:46:33 )
neko says;
@Shade: Weight is suuuuch a tricky thing, and I'm really sorry that you're having to go from one lifestyle to another like that.
Honestly, the number doesn't matter so much as like....health, you know?
I think your parents kind of set you up for failure by forcefeeding you what I'm assuming was high calorie items to make you gain weight, because now you're accustomed to it

Voltie — they/them Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/10/23 17:00:56 )
@Neko: It's true! I would like to think i'm at least somewhat psychologically better off these days than I used to be, years ago. Though that's pretty subjective in itself, and my parents + family believe that they're... not doing it for 'appearance' and are doing it for health. I dunno, it's a lil disheartening. -shrugs-
And yeah. My grandparents did the same to a cousin of mine. They thought he was so cute and chubby and fed him so much junk food, he kept all that weight, now he is in his late teens and like I said. Older kids that are fat aren't cute to these people, so now he's gotta be weight watched because he is obese. It makes me angry to think about it honestly.

Donator — nyan? Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/10/23 17:02:48 )
neko says;
@Dowan: Thank you! It wasn't really a push up. I mean I used my knees instead of the tips of my toes and I didn't go very high, but it's been an hour since then and my stomach is STILL burning ;o;

@Shade: I think in a way that's kind of a mild form of abuse. :(

Voltie Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/10/23 17:44:55 )
Why so afraid? Heh heh...

@Neko: One thing I've learned from my physical therapist is... even a little bit of movement or height is really good, and a burn is awesome so long as it's not sharp pain.

I've tried doing it on my knees as well, but it's so hard. LOL

Drink... and be merry, heh heh.

Donator — MOOCOW Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/10/23 17:51:08 )
Good work! Even one push up is one push up more than before.
You don't have to be a body builder, just do what you can to better yourself :D

Please @ me when you talk to me.
I'm a terrible person with memory like a sieve.

Voltie — I'm A Boy Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/10/23 18:08:33 )
Ah That's awesome love ! I believe in you :) I hope it goes well !

Donator Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/10/23 20:40:22 )

[x]

pls don't

Voltie Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/10/24 10:28:04 )
Wooo! Can I say congratulations?
On what? For being able to do any amount of exerciser! It's really difficult, but you will make it to a "healthier lifestyle". (putting that in quotes because it's really just a buzz phrase.) I'm considered a bit overweight for my height and age, but can barely do two push ups!

Not to mention, any amount of exercise is good. Walking is also very underrated. Lots of people think it doesn't do much, but that's not true. Between burning calories, getting you out of the house, and letting you enjoy some "fresh" air and sun, there's really no downside to walking. Ok maybe poor footwear and not hydrating could lead to some problems, but you can always make shorter walks.

Keep up those pushups and leg lifts. If you get bored of those, look up some beginner friendly activites. If you reddit, there is always r/fitness, r/eatcheapandhealthy, r/bodyweightfitness. You don't need to create an account there to read some of their guides and FAQs. But that's just me going off track...

Once again, good work on the exercise!

https://imgur.com/uOgAp1Y
For motivation!

Donator — nyan? Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/10/24 12:37:19 )
neko says;
You're all incredibly sweet, thank you all so much!

sell me rigs please♥

Donator — She/Her Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/10/24 13:35:43 )
Thank you for making this! As a little kid I was skinny, but I got picked on a lot so I would snack between meals as a kid. I got up to the weight being 280, I was fed up with how I looked, and what I was eating. I decided to run, and walk a lot. Change what I was eating and drinking. I became skinny again in my early 20's. I had a bad relationship, things just weren't going right a bit I started to eat more and snack.

Things got better but I still walk, I don't run or anything else, I am 230 pounds I don't like it. Somedays I don't eat a lot I feel full, or I am just not hungry. Losing weight for me is hard when I don't feel like I have enough motivation, or support for wanting to change my weight and how I look. Sorry about all of this. I know winter is coming and I don't really go anywhere during winter I stay inside.
If you can’t say something nice, Don’t say anything at all!

Donator — He/Him Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/10/25 01:16:24 )
I don't really know how to lose a lot of weight, but my favorite exercise to do is crunches! I stick my feet under something with my knees bent, put my arms behind my neck and lift up a few inches. My abs have gotten so hard from doing that. o: I do about 30-40. I've never really seen any results from other exercises. Also that is way more pushups than I can do! haha.

I like to run, but it's kind of hard to do because my knee hurts. So walking longer can compensate for that.

And try looking at what you eat and pick out some things you could live without, at least until a special occasion. I know a lost a few pounds from cutting out sugar, but I could only go so long without it. orz

Ping me!

Hangout

Voltie — Burnt Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/10/25 06:29:39 )
Hey, super proud. I respect anyone who is willing to make that change. If you need support, I'm here for you. It will be a tough journey, but I know you can do it. It will take seemingly a lot of time to notice, usually 4-6 weeks so if you aren't seeing progress don't give up.
I know this may sound weird but taking pictures of yourself from now and maybe every 2 weeks. It will show you your progress and keep you motivated.
Esting healthy is the really difficult part, but as you exercise more and start eating better, you'll kind feel set off but the junk foods but don't deprive yourself of them. Do treat yourself, just don't go overboard.
If you need tips, or just want someone to check in just shoot me a message! I like to help in any way possible!

Donator — She/her Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/10/26 04:56:51 )

Hey, I think that's really good! I can't believe that you did that much in one day!! lol
I also like going for walks. I use Pokemon Go to motivate me. It helps, but everything is personal, so it might not be the perfect thing for you.

About eating food, just cutting back on soda, or eating a little less sugar is ok. Changes don't come overnight or you won't do them. Maybe have some more mixed veggies with dinner (with salt and butter) instead of potatoes? How about chicken instead of fatty pork?

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

Donator — She/Her Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/10/26 05:15:25 )

I don't know where I weigh in right now but I'm horrified to see it, aha...
Took the past week off of the strict diet I start...almost exactly a year ago, I think, because I was celebrating my wedding and felt that a few days of normal sugar and carbs for wedding cake and all wasn't the worst thing. I'm glad to be going back, because it really wasn't worth it lol and I've got a sugar hangover xD

A year ago, I was feeling sick and got turned down for a birth control script renewal because of such high blood pressure that they almost sent me to the hospital. Turns out it was a diabetes complication and uh, well, things weren't great. I got put on medication and all--medication i went off over the summer after the lifestyle change completely put everything into healthy ranges, though ^^

Last I checked, I was down to 204 from 285 last year, but I'm sure I'm sugar bloated right now and maybe 210-220. My scale broke after getting kicked by work boots, so we're waiting on the replacement to see where things fall. My end goal is 160, haha, but i'm sure that's far off.

Also, outside of this past week (4 days, really), I absolutely did change completely overnight and stick with it full time, and I think that some people, myself included, are hurt more than helped by well wishing people who say things like "a little cutting back is okay, you don't have to do it all at once!" because it gives us an excuse to rationalize why we aren't just doing it. I spent YEARS on and off weird diet plans before I just committed after the medical slap in the face, and anytime someone said stuff like "it's okay to have a treat now and again", they only really set me back, mentally, from committing to what I clearly needed to do.

That said, Keto as a lifestyle/diet is fucking fantastic for getting past that, because it's a diet that works well by making you just not feel hungry while also punishing you for /not/ committing. If you cheat and eat sugar and carbs, it takes longer to adapt and get past the flu and makes you feel sick, whereas commiting makes you feel full, more energetic, etc. You can't "treat yourself" with cheat days unless you want to perpetually be sick. x3
Luna Chandra
Please let me exchange goods and/or services for art. <3

Donator — she, her Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/10/30 07:29:37 )
Every step you take, no matter how small, helps you make better choices in your life.
Go you. I am proud of you.
The last month has been difficult for me, I got hurt at work and have been limited to what I can and can not do, which has put a damper on the work out routine my girlfriend and I were supposed to start. I was doing good with my diet, until I was doing it alone and my depression kicked in.
Currently going through a lot of stress and relationship problems to the point that my physical health has come last.
I need to loose a good 120+ lbs, and I'd love to be apart of a motivation team, god knows I need it when I feel this alone.
Foever in my heart
Spookums 11/25/18
Angus 6/23/19
Mom 6/29/19
Dad 11/29/2021

Donator — She/Buns Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/10/30 08:38:57 )

I am so so so proud of you, Neko!
That is really awesome! You did 30 push ups! I have always been athletic and that's hard for me.
but my strength is in my legs.
But I have been struggling with weight lately.
I have gained and not eaten very well and not exercised.
I need to, i am so unhappy.
i hope we can all reach our health goals!!

ping me
Art in sig by Seo
Art in post by Cedes
Hangout

Voltie — she/her Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/10/30 11:16:36 )

i'm so incredibly proud of you!!!!! good job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
hey, i'm bee

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.