Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat Learning digital art

Donator — She/Her Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/01/8 09:50:41 )
I’ve always wanted to learn digital art for a very long time and now I’m practicing with tutorials on YouTube. It’s very difficult but I’m determined to get better! How long does it take to really get the hang of it though in general? Any tips and tricks?

Digital art is so pretty and shiny.

Donator — He/They Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/01/8 18:50:20 )
(˵◕ ᴥ ◕˵)ノ Hello there

@Juliette: I started digital art around 2014 i believe. What helped me was playing osu with my drawing tablet lol. It helped me adjust my brain? to look at my screen instead of my hands ect. Idk the right words in english sorry lol. I also dont know what your using for digital art

Something else that helped me is really getting to know the program im using. I use my pc and a wacom Intuos + fire alpaca as the drawing program (its free and regularly updates). However starting simple to get used to it is great aswel. Ive used ms paint plenty of times b4 switching to another art program. Ofc u wont be able to achieve surtain things and it lacks alot of features but itf definitly not a bad program! (fun to make pixelart in). If u get to know your art program youl learn how to do surtain things faster, use cool brushes n filthers ect

Then ofc practice, it took me many years to fully understand what i was doing and to get more comfortable with drawing digital then traditional. But i feel most importand is to just have fun. It wont look like a masterpiece at first and ppl can get demotivated to try more if it dosnt turn out like they expected.

So goodluck! Id love to see whatever youd make :^D

。.:☆*:・ヽ(˵◕ ᴥ ◕˵)

♦ Gob | 23 | Taurus | Belgium ♦
Insta | Toyhouse | Gallery | Carrd

♦ My Art Shop ♦

Donator — she/they/him Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/01/8 20:43:20 )

Wish i could give some pointers
i'm learning digital art too~

☥ "Think of me when you look at the night sky" ☥

leave me msgs here

The Crooked Dog Inn

plz ping me!

Donator Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/01/8 22:08:56 )
Congrats! I'm not that creative to do digital art. The most I do is digital scrapbooking and archiving all the family pictures on the computer.

Voltie — she Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/01/11 21:12:35 )
i started on krita and im struggling. So much i got discouraged and havent drawn anything
so my encouraging word is to not give up and keep trying

Voltie — he | they Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/02/3 00:05:08 )
It's a whole process for sure! Been drawing since I was probably 6 or 7 and didn't get a tablet until I was about... 15? something like that?
For me personally it took a couple of years to really get the hang of things. I started experimenting more about 2-3 years in and saw improvement. It's a very different skillset from traditional art although your foundational basics are the same. Just dedicate time to it and understand that not everything has to look perfect! You're already on the right track with looking for tutorials and just dedicating some time to it.

As for tips, generally what I see (and did myself) starting out was a couple of things. Biggest thing was brush stabilizers, stabilization is good for keeping your lines from wobbling but turn it up too high and you'll lose a lot of definition and line weight variety, especially with lineart. Special brushes can help speed your process along a lot and bring some spice to your art, but it won't replace skill from studying the form of what you're drawing. One last thing, if you're afraid of backgrounds I encourage you to lean into em more. A lot of artists I know (me included also lol) were too afraid to learn how to draw environments or objects. Lean into it! Best of luck :)

Voltie — She/They Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/02/7 17:33:59 )

Similarly to @ENA: I've been drawing since my formative years, v young. I started digital art with a mouse back when I was like... 9 or 10, and got a wacom bamboo tablet when I was 13. I can heartily recommend those if they're still made. I got a second when I was 15, 16 or so and have had it since. That's over a decade ago lol. Still going strong and pcs still download the adapters on plug-in. Huion's are also good budget tablets.

Anywho, I recommend focusing on aspects of drawing in chunks. Anatomy, perspective, color theory, backgrounds, objects, animals, etc. They're all chunks that require dedicated learning time separate. So maybe do a week's challenge to start, then a month.

Head portraits, body parts, just a tree, tree and a river and waterfall, etc. Those are all building blocks.

Some great yters are Sycra, and Will Terrell.

I hope this helps, and welcome to the digi doodle world! Oh and if there's still games like iScribble (social and collaborative art doodle rooms): I recommend those too.

Voltie — Moody Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/02/7 21:53:43 )
Moody Says. . .

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

been doing digital art for over a decade and it's also my job.

but it all depends what you want out of it.
if you want to draw well and such, studying the fundamentals is essential.

if not overall just have fun, figure out what brushes you like, what how to use your program etc.

how long to get the hang of it depends on how often you practice but you can't ever master it. you can always learn more. it usually takes years to get good at a skill

If you need my attention for any reason please ping me.
[My Website]

Donator — Medical Biller Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/02/9 19:19:23 )
Hola @Juliette: , you will always have a learning curve doing digital art, because whatever art software you use update their systems constantly. Also, each art softwares has different technic of using tools.

Just keep practicing/doing and always be willing to learn something new. Please, develop your own style of art. Most digital art now looks the same to me. Good luck and you can do this!
Ensuite, je suis le fantôme de Novembre!

Voltie Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/02/11 15:53:51 )

I would say you get somewhat a hang out of it around a year or two. But even then you still have so much to learn.
So much of the neat tricks I learn are from other artists on IG, scrolling down on YT shorts and other digital artist there.
But I'm mostly self-taught

One really neat trick I learn from someone is how to blend well all the colours your going for on your drawing. If it's by human characters, animals or other means is always good to have a second background for them. Like one specific colour that you'll think will blend well on your general colour scheme. So later on as you build up those layers once you start colouring, you can lower down the opacity on whatever parts of your artwork that you coloured that kind of stand out in a wrong way. If this all makes sense =w=;

Other than that I find colouring, how to shade properly, add the proper midtone or highlights etc.is the most stressful thing as a digital artist. Once you learn to draw properly on a tablet that is, which in this day can be still mildly challenging (I own the no screen less expensive kind)

Art DumpAvatar GalleryQuest Items

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.