Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat Cheap art supplies?

Donator — Any Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/09/3 17:12:53 )

:::ʚ♡ɞ:::
Hey there!<3
Anyone know some good, cheap art supplies I can order? I'm thinking brushes, gouache, acrylics. Some canvas or paper that can hold up to the paints.
Life's been very tough for me lately and i really can't afford a lot, but I have been trying to draw my hallucinations and put my negative thoughts into art!
I love doing digital but I have a mouse and it doesn't really help much. ^^;; it's honestly sort of stressful lol
I wish there was some way to get things like this for mentally ill ppl. I'm waiting for disability and going through all that, but it's so difficult. Ohio doesn't take mental health very seriously, and I need a whole new diagnosis, people suspect it's schizophrenia or borderline ;w;

Voltie — She/Her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/09/3 19:30:49 )

Please ping!! I am a busy mom and tend to get lost~

@milkshake: For cheap canvases- check Ross or Dollar General. (If they have it in your area)

Walmart stuff-
Apple Barrel/Folk Art (same company), is really good cheap acrylics.
Paintbrushes from Folk Art and Royal & Langnickel are what I tend to use.

Royal & Langnickel have an affordable gouache that's nice but colors might have a few inconsistencies from batch to batch. (Like any cheaper brand)

Other than that, might check online.

If you're curious on what type of quality painting you can get with the brands I mentioned, here's one of the paintings I did last year-

Donator — Any Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/09/3 20:22:20 )

@PoeticTorment: thank u for all the good info! I'll Def be checking those out ~ your painting looks so pretty!!
Idk why I didn't think about dollar general lol there's one down the road from me

Please ping me!

Voltie — She/Her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/09/3 20:34:42 )

@milkshake: Not a problem! And thank you. :)
Lol The canvases from dollar general are okay.
For the canvas panels, try not to overcoat with the paint as the cardstock behind it will separate from the smooth back sheet due to the moisture.
The canvas itself is glued tight but if you plan on selling any, it can make the back look less pretty. XD
(Getting extra sheets of smooth card stock to glue on the back might be handy)

Donator — whatever Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/09/4 06:32:14 )

Five Below also might be an option if you have one near you, or you might be able to order online. They usually have a decent selection of art supplies for dirt cheap. If my gel pen collection is anything to go by they're not too bad either!

Please ping me!

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/09/5 17:17:22 )

I personally don't go for expensive art supplies also but I don't have vast amount knowledge of cheap art supplies, especially since I switch to digital more often these days. But I believe this video will help you, this artist youtuber popped on my mind the minute I read your thread. She also made some several videos about cheap art supplies too if you want to watch more vids of hers.

https://youtu.be/e9--Fb1c3W8

I'm sorry your going through such a hard time lately. I do hope things will get better with you soon.

Art DumpAvatar GalleryQuest Items

Donator — she/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/09/6 02:12:53 )

I agree with PoeticTorment on getting them from Walmart. That's where I get most of my supplies from anymore and I think they're great. I recently bought a pack of markers, a pack of watercolor colored pencils, and paintbrushes from the kids section at IKEA and I like them. :) They probably cost no more than $10-$12 altogether. (I bought each item separately, though, so Idk exactly how much they'd be together, but I'm sure it's not a lot). If there isn't an IKEA near you I'm sure you could get them online. But honestly, Dollar General and Walmart were such good suggestions that I think those would be best to try. :)

Donator — she/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/09/6 02:14:27 )

PoeticTorment:

@milkshake: For cheap canvases- check Ross or Dollar General. (If they have it in your area)

Walmart stuff-
Apple Barrel/Folk Art (same company), is really good cheap acrylics.
Paintbrushes from Folk Art and Royal & Langnickel are what I tend to use.

Royal & Langnickel have an affordable gouache that's nice but colors might have a few inconsistencies from batch to batch. (Like any cheaper brand)

Other than that, might check online.

If you're curious on what type of quality painting you can get with the brands I mentioned, here's one of the paintings I did last year-

Your painting is beautiful, omg!! *0*

Voltie — She/Her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/09/6 02:47:22 )

@Ark: Ah, thank you! I tend to do a lot of silhouette paintings so figured I'd show one of my favorites. XD

Donator — she/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/09/6 02:51:55 )

@PoeticTorment: You're welcome! :) Your painting is so inspiring! I have a bunch of unused canvas that I want to paint on now. xD

Voltie — She/Her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/09/6 03:04:50 )

@Ark: I'm glad it was inspiring, it was a very meaningful painting for me since it was for a memorial so it means a lot. Good luck with the paintings!

Donator — she/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/09/6 16:32:26 )

@PoeticTorment: Oh wow, that's nice! I'm interested in seeing more of your paintings. Do you have an art forum or a website? :)

Voltie — She/Her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/09/6 18:15:18 )

@Ark: Thank you. I have Instagram. PoeticTorment
I post digital artwork as well so the tags show whether it's digital or painting if you can't tell.
I think I have an art dump on here but I don't think I posted very many of my paintings.

Donator — she/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/09/7 05:06:27 )

@PoeticTorment: Your artwork looks great!! ^^

❀❀❀❀

Check out my shop! Currently selling Winter '21 Plasma Orb Items and more.

Voltie — She/Her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/09/7 21:44:21 )

@Ark: Thank you. I practice a lot. lol

Please ping!! I'm a busy mom and tend to get lost~

^^Page prizes = FREE Sketch!!
It's only forever~ It's not long at all...

Donator — Artist Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/09/9 02:37:50 )
I would recommend dollar variety stores too; the stationery section generally has a good range of art supplies~ And also some of the bigger supermarkets have some art stuff too, like pencils and paper. I would rec the former more, though. At the dollar store, I've bought sketchbooks (A4 / A2 / A3), water based markers, coloured pencils, pens, lead graphite pencils, erasers there. I'm thinking of maybe buying white charcoal to help accentuate/capture light~ Each dollar store's stationery section may vary on how its stocked/displayed, but at the one I went to, their stationery aisle had the more general stationery stuff to one side and more artsy stuff on the other.
‘god, tell us the reason youth is wasted on the young. I thought I saw you out there crying, woah-oh. I saw a lion kiss a deer, we are all lost stars trying to light up the dark.’ ~ Jungkook. / diary. text. visual. comm.

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.