Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Hangouts Jabberwocky Junction (come chat!)

Voltie — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/03/5 08:17:46 )
Does anyone know something about any upcoming events on Voltra?

Voltie — she/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/03/6 12:12:38 )

@CycloneKira: The Spring Event is coming soon.

Voltie — she/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/03/6 12:16:42 )

@Totalanimefan: Yeah, talking of staples I don't really know what American staples are, but I think Americans eat a lot of frozen food or pre-cooked/pre-packaged meals? Whenever we cook it's from scratch, but that's also because we have food traditions. Native American food traditions are endangered because settlers didn't bother to learn them, but they didn't exactly follow their own traditions either, so it's like a culture of cooking where there was no culture of cooking. So in the American kitchen everyone cooks as though nobody in their family knows properly how to cook and they've had to come up with how to cook all by themselves. Which is kind of exactly what did happen.

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/03/6 18:40:59 )

@CycloneKira: The 15th is common's review. The 1st will be new monthlies again. And the staff hasn't given an exact date but Spring event probably at the end of March or beginning of April. ^^

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/03/6 18:44:08 )

@Whimsy: There are for sure people that only eat out or prepackaged, but there are a lot of people who love to cook. I think you will find that anywhere. There are a ton of people on YouTube cooking and cookbooks are still really popular here. I do think that too many people don't cook. As for American staples it depends on what your family is used to. For European Ameircans its normally meat, potatoes or a veggie. Pizza, bread, not a lot of rice, pasta, things like that. An Asian American family might cook more with Asian spices, lots of rice, not as much meat, more side dishes.

Voltie — she/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/03/7 15:14:29 )

@Totalanimefan: Oh, absolutely; I think even the people who love to cook don't tend to use all the ingredients from scratch though (among white Americans). There's sure to be exceptions but this is a general pattern I noticed. Asian Americans have their own food traditions so for the most part, they're good. I expected white Americans to adopt European and British cooking properly since those are roughly around where they came from to settle. But they haven't really. An Italian would probably balk at what passes for pizza. The one time I visited the US with my family, we went to Seattle and tried pizza in multiple places and they were godawful.
I think your veggies are fine though. But the US is the only country I've heard of where the meat is cheaper than the veggies. And where the dairy industry is so messed up- milk isn't supposed to last that long and most people who have regular dairy from the grocery store develop an intolerance to it.
Apart from animal products it's not that bad I think. Especially as with increasing immigration you have Indian and Asian grocery stores and have the chance to adopt some of those food traditions. And you have the farmer's markets. It's just that the bad is more easily available/accessible to most people. The way American food, and I mean food that's quintessentially American, is known to be burgers and hot dogs (fast food).

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/03/7 19:23:28 )

@Whimsy: Yeah I agree. People our age are waking up to what is considered good for you and not good for you. Us Millenials (and younger) tend to work out, eat healthy, cook at home more (where that's because we are poor, or because we want to is a different debate lol).
It's wrong how cheap our meat and dairy is. Is shouldn't be that cheap and people here eat way too much of it. I don't really buy meat at the store. I only get it if I'm eating out, and even then it's not my main. Like last night I ordered Thai food from a local place and got Pad Thai. Only a few pieces of chicken in that.
I do love farmers markets and I'm blessed to say that there are many in my area, but I know that's not the case for a lot of people and I hope they become more popular in the next 10 years. They really help the local economy and people's health.

Voltie — she/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/03/8 05:39:50 )

@Totalanimefan: Yeah I'm glad there's change coming, although it still breaks my heart that babies are born without basic immunity and digestion boosting bacteria- they're literally starting out with a disadvantage, so even if they grow up health-conscious they have to reckon with that, you know? They've been dealt damage from the start and that's so sad to me.
Poverty is a menace to health too because if you're poor you'll more likely buy cheaper food, which isn't always better. I had a friend on another forum who said she literally couldn't afford fruits or veggies often and so she kept cooking meat when she was hungry. And it was messing with her health. I suggested that she cook oats. Because that was the only other alternative we could think of which would be as cheap and filling, and have carbs for energy.

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/03/8 18:03:28 )

@Whimsy: Yes it is. It's super messed up here, and although people are starting to learn, some people can't because of the cycle of poverty. If the US were to raise the minimum wage it would really good a long way. Oats are wonderful! I love them.

Voltie — she/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/03/9 06:20:11 )

@Totalanimefan: Yeah I really hope more positive changes come to distribute wealth more equally. Yeah, oats are great! And there are other grains, like rye, that can be included in what people eat so that it's not always white flour they're having.

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/03/9 17:06:28 )

@Whimsy: Yes! Education and Public Transportation are also a must!

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

Voltie — she/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/03/10 08:10:42 )

@Totalanimefan: I hope those become more accessible especially college education and public transport.

Voltie — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/03/24 17:00:48 )
@whimsy: Have you ever tried putting cheese in instant noodles?

Voltie — she/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/03/26 08:29:01 )
@CycloneKira: I don't eat cheese but I heard that's a thing others enjoy putting in ramen

Voltie — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/03/26 17:12:44 )
@whimsy: It's heaven. I'd make you try if you ate cheese.

Voltie — she/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/03/27 08:53:51 )
@CycloneKira: Apparently breaking an egg into ramen has a similar effect

Voltie — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/03/27 11:24:28 )
@whimsy: I've never tried that. I should. But I should also stop eating ramen at night lol

Voltie — she/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/03/27 18:35:14 )
@CycloneKira: your avatar's pose and expression are *chef's kiss*
just make yourself a cheese omelette at night instead, or something

Voltie — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/03/28 20:55:36 )
@whimsy: My avie is my mood rn. I feel like a half-cyborg that's just. Meh.
"Leonard Snart":
There are only four rules you have to remember: Make the plan, execute the plan, expect the plan to go off the rails, throw away the plan.

It's not over yet.
There's a lot to look forward to.
Keep going.
You can do this :)

Voltie — she/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/03/29 16:36:47 )
@CycloneKira:
come over to my house no, i'll give you money for the return fare (if your gpay starts working i can give you money for both to and fro)

roleplay search | tarot readings | buying ohms (pm me) | questing: styr

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.