Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Hangouts Jabberwocky Junction (come chat!)

Donator — She/Crazy Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/02/27 22:18:29 )

I still don't drive myself and I am 31.

Donator — She/Crazy Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/02/28 00:16:31 )

Best of luck getting yours!
And it is really awesome that it will help you with your future career!

Voltie — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/02/28 18:17:49 )
It's actually pretty easy to get around using public transport in my city, so I haven't felt a pressing need to learn driving yet. I know I should though. Eventually.

Voltie — she/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/03/1 16:25:59 )

@Nephila: Driving is a super useful skill to have! It's great that you're learning it.
I do have a license but I'm bad at parking and bad at dealing with traffic. I need to practice.

@CycloneKira: Yeah the only person who drives themselves in my family is my father. We're not really using public transport now that Covid is ongoing, but otherwise, I agree- that's been my experience too. (We live in the same city.)

@dragoness129: You've probably not felt the need to, and I'm the same! Nothing has pushed me to learn properly because I can manage without it. I also dislike it- I feel much more motion-sick the times I tried driving.

Voltie — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/03/1 20:08:36 )
@whimsy: I feel so crippled without public transport :vanora_cry: Hate having to be driven around everywhere by my parents. I mean on a good day, my dad is at least okay to drive with because on some weird level, we vibe. But like, my mom. That's 40% painful. Made less painful by my dormant social skills. *pats self on the back*

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/03/1 20:19:35 )

In most of the US you have to drive because there is no Public transportation. Only in like New York City, DC, Chicago and San Francisco can you get away with it. Maybe in Boston too.

Voltie — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/03/1 21:43:35 )
I used to not like the idea of New York because of traffic horror stories and stuff, but I feel like I'd like it if I were actually to live there.

Donator — She/Crazy Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/03/2 01:53:02 )

@Whimsy: I am just terrified of being behind the wheel and having to drive. I have literally been white knuckling the steering wheel each time I have driven before.

Voltie — she/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/03/2 08:07:25 )

@dragoness129: I lessen my nervousness by driving really slow, but driving does make me nervous despite that. So I can relate. I'm especially nervous about parking. I haven't mastered how to do it without bumping the car.

@CycloneKira: I prefer smaller towns/cities, myself. I like to limit my world. I don't like 'getting around' all that much. So I'm pretty sure I wouldn't like new york. I'd probably enjoy small towns more, or those cute little European cities.

Voltie — she/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/03/2 08:08:20 )

@Totalanimefan: Everything is so far flung in the US. Some of y'all literally need to drive to come across a neighbour or another house. It's so wild to me.

Voltie — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/03/2 09:05:17 )
@whimsy: ahahahaha I'm a spoilt city brat through and through.

Voltie — she/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/03/2 10:45:40 )

@CycloneKira: Yeah you're not a cottagecore type you're more urban cyberpunk.

Voltie — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/03/2 11:05:25 )
@whimsy: Urban cyberpunk :vanora_xd: Iluvit. I could be a cottagecore type, but for two days max XP

Voltie — she/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/03/2 12:17:22 )

@CycloneKira: Ayyo I suppose you and Ben could visit me in my cottagecore house and I could visit you in your cyberpunk one.

Voltie — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/03/2 14:23:39 )
Yas, that would be perf <3 Wouldn't say no to a warm cozy cottage right now tbh. For a few days.
"Leonard Snart":
There are only four rules you have to remember: Make the plan, execute the plan, expect the plan to go off the rails, throw away the plan.

It's not over yet.
There's a lot to look forward to.
Keep going.
You can do this :)

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/03/2 17:43:46 )

@CycloneKira: NYC is pretty cool! Your apartment isn't that big, but the city is wonderful and vibrant. It's great.
@Whimsy: Yeah you do, and it's so normalized here people don't even realize that it's different in other parts of the world. Also probably doesn't help out obesity rates either. No one walks, they just drive.

Voltie — she/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/03/3 05:20:14 )

@Totalanimefan: I feel like your obesity rates have a lot to do with the food industry in the US. The latest findings on obesity linked it to the lack of beneficial gut bacteria, which are responsible for digestive health and also really important for overall health. And in the US most babies/newborns are born without the gut bacteria they need to process nutrients properly and things like that. And by most I mean like 90%. This is a cumulative thing; their parents and their parents' parents ate food with a lot of antibiotics in them and now instead of a child ruining their gut as they grow up by eating things which harm gut bacteria in them, they're being born without it.
My mom was like 10% of the babies still have the gut bacteria, and I was like, they're probably immigrant babies lol.
But it's seriously like a vicious cycle: the conditions for good health don't exist, and the healthcare system is broken, so the ill-health continues, and capitalism makes the food industry worse, which makes good health even more difficult, and it goes on...

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/03/3 17:27:57 )

@Whimsy: Amen to that. I know that lack of exercise isn't the only reason. I just think it doesn't help. I find the study that you quoted really interesting and as a person in America I completely understand. I take probiotics and when I do I can feel the different for sure. I don't eat much meat, but when I do I like to get it from the farmers market or Whole Foods. People will say I'm crazy for spending more money on food, but I tell them that's the real cost of food. The food you get from these huge companies are not only abusing the animals, but also treating the workers horribly and feeding the animals horrible things that they shouldn't be eating. Then those antibiotics get passed on to people that eat that food. And I get that not every family in America can afford that. I know that for sure, but the ones I talk to could, but they choose to be cheap about it and their health isn't that great. The lack of healthcare system in this country also angers me. It's common in almost every country in the world but the US.

Voltie — she/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/03/3 17:52:31 )

@Totalanimefan: Yeah the food situation is worse in US than other places. On top of that, the US doesn't have a culture of cooking things from scratch. I was surprised when someone opened a bottle of Tahini in a cooking video. If all you need to do to make Tahini is roast sesame seeds and grind them with some oil... that's literally two steps, lol. I didn't understand why someone would want to buy that pre-packaged. My mom was like, they can't cook anything without using something processed/packaged. I think that's dangerous. It's one thing to eat processed food once in a while and it's another entirely to use processed food as a part of every meal.
Nothing's more important than your body. Money's not as important as your body. Money comes and goes, but if your body's ruined you can't fix it, or at least it's very difficult to fix. Plus, money is only valuable because of what you can do with it. And if you don't use it for what's most important- your body, your first resource- then that money might as well be worthless.

roleplay search | tarot readings | buying ohms (pm me) | questing: styr

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/03/3 18:27:14 )

@Whimsy: I think Tahini might be a bad example because it's not a staple food here, but I do agree with what you said. A lot of times we buy canned or prepackaged foods. I don't even shop at normal grocery stories because I can't stand the list of ingredients. I'm an ingredient reader and the amount of extra junk we have in our foods is too damn high. I try to tell people to care about their bodies more and what they put into it but people either don't understand or don't care.

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.