Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Reaping Ritual 2020: TTLG Mad Tea Party: Hangout and Raffle

Voltie — Sha/female Posted 3 years ago ( 2020/11/15 20:39:49 )

@xvz: i will when i get them xD and likely we're going to try to get both at the same time so they can grow up as best friends.

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2020/11/15 20:40:44 )
@vixen: I agree with most of what you say. There is some grey area, imo, but so much of art school is subject to... well, the personal and subjective opinions of the teachers -one way or another- that instead of being enlightening and rewarding for the student, it can be really stifling. At least that was my experience going through art school. That said, I did have some good teachers and some great classes and experiences.

Voltie — Sha/female Posted 3 years ago ( 2020/11/15 20:42:04 )

@Vixen: OMG YES
i ended up dropping out of college for (well multiple reasons) but one of the key reasons was I was so fed up with "here is the assignment and skill we want you to do." and then getting a response when you do exactly that. "Why didn't you make a gorgeous art like that person. you clearly have no idea what I've asked of you. Why did you think outside of the box in a way I didn't like."

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2020/11/15 20:42:05 )

Silence, the White Mage is now speaking.

@koneko: ahhh that's awesome! i had one professor who was in similar vein about checking the concept that was being learned (not the concept of the piece's subject matter / realization) which was nice, but they also got distracted by my unusual color choice which didn't fit the concept we were applying... i was only doing the minimalistic form part, but no one told me were also looking at the color palette too XD
it's a good thing i only took college art classes for entertainment and not my actual degree...

I am not an actual NPC.

Donator — they/them Posted 3 years ago ( 2020/11/15 20:43:29 )

═════════════════════════⠀ ∘◦ᵒ .⋆。˚☽˚。⋆. ᵒ◦∘
⠀|⠀post art by kiwi!⠀|⠀spooky chat

wildfire oh my gosh that's adorable, i'd have so much fun with that lol

koneko pls do!!!
maybe we could also start a monthly pet pic thread in general or something ?? lol i feel like some ppl would have to be into it right

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2020/11/15 20:44:00 )

@wildfire: i don't think you can ever completely separate subjective takes on a piece since you ARE looking at it to evaluate it, but some folks are better at explaining what specifically in the the technique application is lacking rather than chalking it up to "doesn't meet requirements" or "doesn't work visually"

I am not an actual NPC.

Donator — they/them Posted 3 years ago ( 2020/11/15 20:44:23 )

shadami omggg a kitten And a puppy At the same time?????
i would just not leave the house for a month lol

Voltie — Sha/female Posted 3 years ago ( 2020/11/15 20:44:27 )

"Use colors to push and pull the eye using cut paper." *makes a really cool art piece using cut paper that happen to have images on them and my piece has nothing to do with the pictures on the paper but I used the colors on them to push and pull* "You are not allowed to just put down someone elses flower and claim to have made a flower." ?!?!?!?
I DIDN'T Look at the piece woman! I made a CAVE.

Donator — they/them Posted 3 years ago ( 2020/11/15 20:45:24 )

wildfire i didn't know u went to art school ^^
was it for painting or something else? (if that's ok to ask - no pressure!)

Voltie — Moody Posted 3 years ago ( 2020/11/15 20:45:36 )
Moody Says. . .

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

At one time i wanted to attend art school but after hearing the many
horror stories of art school i was like "Nah i'll do youtube and skillshare to learn art."

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2020/11/15 20:45:45 )

@Moodyb: ohh environment studies sounds fun. I need to work on backgrounds too
are you painting mountains for your new one as well?

10 days is honestly a lot! usually I can only do like 5 days of a daily art prompt before I get tired haha. I think that's impressive and it's good that you had fun and learned some things. I think that's the main takeaway from things like this.

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2020/11/15 20:46:24 )
@Vixen: Oh yes. Subjectivity is integrated with being human. We can never fully get away from it, nor should we, really (it's a survival trait; we just can't let it RULE us). And, creating art is all about communicating to your audience, so there are things to be learned by having that kind of feedback, but I did have several critiques during college that were much more about their perspective than about my art

┤▒├ Hangout with me! ┤▒├

Voltie — Sha/female Posted 3 years ago ( 2020/11/15 20:46:41 )

i'm behind on my art prompts by almost a week now. xD I've not touched the computer much. and when i did i got caught up playing with new brushes. tehee

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2020/11/15 20:46:48 )

@shadami: as long as the evaluation criteria is the application of the technique, i think it's fine since my take is "i go to school to learn skills". whether it looks pretty in the end is a totally different story LOL. i definitely agree that it's stifling to only do what the professor wants, but if it's to practice a specific application of a technique, then i'm getting value out of the schooling. but that response of "outside of the box" is like didn't tell me you were going to judge me on my ideas in addition to the technique >__>

I am not an actual NPC.

Donator — they/them Posted 3 years ago ( 2020/11/15 20:47:27 )

oh what art prompts are you using shadami? or did u come up w ur own?

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2020/11/15 20:48:07 )

aww everyone's art class experiences..
I had a really amazing art teacher in high school, she was so supportive and REALLY great at teaching technique. she always said she was more of a coach (like a sports coach) than a teacher - art is a skill that you can learn with practice. that was the core of her teaching.

I did AP studio art my senior year and decided that I wouldn't last 2 weeks in art school HAHA so there it is

Voltie — Sha/female Posted 3 years ago ( 2020/11/15 20:48:11 )

That's what she was doing. was telling us one thing and then hating us for not doing something else. I was pregnant at the time too and she told me to get an abortion because her opinions on art were more important then a life or education. I told her to fack off and quit school.

Currently recovering from large amounts of PTSD. I'll post when I can, please ping for replies. Things are very difficult for me right now.

Donator — they/them Posted 3 years ago ( 2020/11/15 20:48:19 )

i have a hard time doing daily art... i wish i had more time/energy for it to be a habit
i kept it up for a month or two around artfight time (when there wasn't anything else going on) but lately i've had to deal w other irl stuff

⠀∘◦ᵒ .⋆。˚☽⠀ {⠀art shop⠀·⠀gallery⠀·⠀closet⠀}⠀☽˚。⋆. ᵒ◦∘

∘◦ᵒ .⋆。˚☽⠀ {⠀buying / questing: capricorn ⠀}⠀☽˚。⋆. ᵒ◦∘

art by kiwi and koneko <3

Voltie — Moody Posted 3 years ago ( 2020/11/15 20:48:46 )
Moody Says. . .

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

@Hachi: i've never painted cause my brain convinced me i could never.
so i just tried it and it was pretty fun to paint. even tho im not super good at it. :vanora_sweat:

Yes, both are mountain pictures. but the newer mountain pic has a lot more color. Like pinks and oranges in it.
so i am excited to work on it. Though my pen is still charging.
So i have to wait lol.

I had so much fun drawing the prompts. even if they weren't painted i think i learned a lot through it.
and i liked about maybe 4-5 pieces I did. so that's good.

If you need my attention for any reason please ping me.
[My Website]

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2020/11/15 20:49:08 )

@wildfire: hm, well i wouldn't say it's wrong to have their perspective since it is what they see, but the important part is why do they interpret the way they do and how is it different from what you were trying to convey. but it is definitely a balance!

I am not an actual NPC.

please @ me

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.