Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Hangouts ┤▒├ Wildfire's World ┤▒├ All welcome, all the time - come say Hi!

Donator — whatever Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/8 16:24:39 )

@Another Movie Addict: Oh no my heart--!! Junk journals are fun but maybe don't ruin something of value. I mean they're called junk journals for a reason, right?

@Wildfire: Oh gosh, I have a ton of hobbies (and yet spend most of my time putzing around on the computer, go figure). I raise isopods and Sea Monkeys (brine shrimp), and I have a YouTube channel for them though I haven't updated it in a long time (I have new plans and materials for it soon though!), and I'm hoping to maybe have millipedes or even a jumping spider in the future. I'm also a plant parent; I have a few fittonias, a couple pothos, a purple passion (it's got purple fuzz!), among others. I really enjoy designing/building aquariums and terrariums, and I have plans to transform a 2.5 gallon aquarium into a terrarium for my Dwarf White isopods!

I also maintain a personal website purely for the fun of it, kind of a throwback style thing in the vein more of how the internet was before social media took over. Probably obviously I'm a bit nuts for avatar sites like Voltra, and when I'm in the mood (it comes and goes) I can dive into Minecraft for pretty much days at a time (and I mean like. Barely sleeping days at a time, yay hyperfixations! XD). Oh, and I'm a hoarder collector of a bunch of stuff, including plushies, hedgehogs, rainbows, and teeny souvenirs/mementos in itty bitty glass bottles that I keep on a string. :D

And you? o3o

(Also I didn't sleep last night either but it was mostly because I hyperfixated on fixing up my profile all fancy-like. Did I mention I love web design? Hehe.)

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/8 16:26:16 )

@Wildfire:
@CooperationIsKey:
Oh my heart absolutely broke when they took those, and some of the older Shakespeare books we had.

Donator Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/8 16:32:43 )
@CooperationIsKey: How are you today? :3
@Wildfire: I understand that 'off' feeling for today. lol. I woke up in the middle of the night and just stayed away for a bit. Then when I did wake up this morning, due to the overcast weather, I really thought I slept in until 9 or 10. Turns out it was only 7. XD

Donator — whatever Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/8 16:42:27 )

@Koah: I'm doing pretty good! Just joined yesterday, learning my way around the site, which I already just love.

Could probably do without the machinery noises out front of the house, though; two neighbors in the same cul-de-sac are having their driveways dug up at the same time, I think for utility work of some kind (but hey, at least they get spiffy new driveways out of the deal!). Even that wouldn't be so bad except the machinery has the cul-de-sac blocked off and my roommate had to park in a neighbor's driveway to come home a little bit ago.

It's interesting to watch the progression of their work, I guess, lol.

How are you doing today? Less noisy for you, I hope!

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/8 16:54:32 )
*returns after getting some breakfast*

@CooperationIsKey: Wow - you have some interesting hobbies, don't you? XD <3 That's so cool :3

@Another Movie Addict: and the Shakespeare books? o_0

@Koah: and once more, we seem to be on similar tracks XD I'm sorry you didn't sleep well last night either, but it sounds like you're dealing with it better than I am so far :3

Donator — whatever Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/8 16:59:11 )

@Wildfire: Lol, I guess I am a wee bit eclectic there, aren't I? What sort of stuff do you do for fun?

What'd you have for breakfast? I had... soup. XD;

Donator Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/8 16:59:19 )
@CooperationIsKey: Oh hey, Welcome to the site. I basically live in this thread every morning. <3 It was pretty easy to navigate Voltra which definitely kept me around. I love this site.
It's super quiet in my house and around my house today. I live somewhat near a fairgrounds and they've been doing construction. It's been fun seeing their progress as I'm new to the neighborhood. So everything around here is still new and exciting. :3
Construction zones right outside of my window would drive me crazy. XD If I got a new driveway out of it, I would cry with joy. lmao.
I am doing good today. I got my coffee, I got chores on my mind, and overall, just good.

@Wildfire: yessum, I am doing pretty well this morning so far. I'm losing track of time faster than usual though. My kids decided to ask me questions that deserve long explanations. So we spent 30 minutes just now talking about wolf packs and how alphas and omegas work.

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/8 17:10:04 )
@CooperationIsKey: lol. Nothing wrong with eclectic! I have a lot of different hobbies and interests too but they don't usually involve brine shrimp! XD LOL. A lot off my interests are creative or active. I draw, paint, do digital stuff, work on web sites, kayak, camp, read, etc. and am trying to transition from being a FT homeschool Mom to... Something else XD (my kids are new adults, so it is definitely a transition!)

@Koah: ohhh maaan, sometimes those are the best questions and best fodder for experiments, field trips, projects, etc! I miss those days and those questions sometimes! XD

Yes, the day is evaporating, isn't it?

Btw, my replies are likely to slower and riddled with errors - I'm now on the phone...

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/8 17:14:20 )

@Wildfire: Yep, and the Shakespeare. Luckily they didn't get any of the truly valuable ones. Right now we have an Oscar Wilde novel that is worth 400$.

Donator Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/8 17:17:26 )
@Wildfire: My daughter is stubborn and thinks being "married" means two people get together to have a baby. lol! so we had to go over that for a bit too. e.e
I feel like if I blink, today will be gone. XD So I'm probably going to disappear earlier than usual to get the bedrooms moved around. We got it started, but the kids messed up some of the progress. I try and stay off my phone. but I'm helplessly addicted to TikTok. OTL It's my only weakness right now.

@Another Movie Addict: Valuable books make me drool! <3 I wish I had money to drop on special edition books. I got a small collection of signed books, and a few late 1800s books for travelers coming to America. I love briefing over those occasionally to remember what life Was then.

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/8 17:20:48 )
@Another Movie Addict: Is it on the shelf for that much, or sitting there waiting for somebody to realize its true value?

@Koah: lol. I understand completely. Good luck getting things done today! Your daughter sounds like an interesting kid!

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/8 17:22:05 )

@Koah: I only have two signed books right now. Acheron by Sherrilyn Kenyon (Now Sherrilyn McQueen), and a book I picked up at a convention Saturday. But I do own some comic books that could be valuable, I need to get them graded to be sure.

I want some of our valuable books so bad, but I just cannot drop that much and I don't want them in my house. I live with smokers.

@Wildfire: It is actually priced that at our store.

Donator Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/8 17:31:15 )
@Another Movie Addict: I wouldn't take home valuable books in your situation either. I lived with my husband's family for a bit and they smoke inside, it took a long time to get the smell out of my belongings later. :T
My old 1800 books have a hint of a cigar to them on some pages, it's amazing how long a smell can hold on paper.
My signed books are children's books. I love Patricia Polacco. So I have 2 or 3 signed by her. and I went to a goodwill a few years ago and found a signed Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, very bad day.
I don't have very many signed books. :d But I love them very much.
@Wildfire: Thank you. I hope your day gets better. My daughter is really interesting. Her toddlerhood was so challenging and now she's an intelligent and stubborn child.

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/8 17:37:44 )

@Koah: We've gotten a few autographed books into our store (I work for a Goodwill Bookstore). Lol luckily no one caught that autographed book. We're supposed to hold onto autographed and old books to check how valuable they are. And price them as high as we can get away with. Though sometimes autographed books slip through the net and end up where people can find them for much lower prices.

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/8 17:41:11 )
@Another Movie Addict: it was probably out of their price range for a "craft recycle" type book! I'm glad it's priced appropriately :3

You're reminding me that I have some old comics I should get evaluated...

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/8 17:43:10 )

Sunday I got a comic that has the earliest version of Batwoman. Long long long before the red haired lesbian we all know a love. Back in the 50s or so when she was intended to be a love interest for Batman, to prove that he's not gay with Robin. She wasn't very popular though, and was replaced by Batgirl. Then she disappeared for a long while. Then came back as a completely different character.

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/8 17:43:23 )
@Koah: Thank you. Right now I'm outside reading and trying to reset my day, I guess.

Lol at your stubborn intelligent daughter! I know that combination.... XD

┤▒├ Hangout with me! ┤▒├

Donator Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/8 17:44:52 )
@Another Movie Addict: I found it right as the goodwill bookstore was being advertised online. c: So I feel super lucky I snagged it.
I just don't look for books at goodwill anymore, even the ones at the stores are priced a little too high for my comfort.
But, I'm also comparing their prices to our other local thrift shops that sell books for quarters and at most $3. [aside from the rare valuable book]

I wish I knew more about comic books. o3o XD I grew up with Archie comics, not Marvel or DC. Wasn't until I was a teenager that I found out there were multiple universes and awesome craziness that I missed out on.

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/8 17:49:21 )

@Koah: Yeah I can get that. Though I did have a woman yell at me that 3.99$ is too much for a hardback in new condition. Which is just ridiculous for a few reasons. One of them being I don't set the prices, and I cannot lower the price just because you're salty.

Donator — whatever Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/06/8 17:52:38 )

@Koah: Ooh, new house, that's fun! And yeah there's been a couple times now where the noises have definitely given me pause, if not outright startled me! I think the only thing I kinda sorta have to do today is finally pot the Golden Pothos cuttings I've got, but I may put that off another day. >_>

@Wildfire: Oh I'm certainly not ashamed of being eclectic, hehe, I embrace it! A draw, too, but not very well. But, I just finished a 100 Days of Art challenge over on Gaia, and I'm darn proud of that and the half-full sketchbook it created! I also love photography and pixel art. Man I haven't been camping in years. My mom and I almost camped in Key West a couple years ago but turned out the campsite had no shade, and it was miserably hot, so we both kinda noped out of that and ended up at a hotel, lol. And oh boy, that is a transition!

Aw man, you guys are making me miss my books! I had a series of unfortunate events cause some unexpected moves, and my books (and some other things) were left behind with friends. Hopefully I'll be able to get them back eventually, though I don't look forward to the shipping fees. I also had a collection of comics; up until the first move I'd been collecting the Invader Zim comics from the very first issue. I'm bummed that I wasn't able to keep up with it.

Please ping me!

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.