Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Hangouts ┤▒├ Wildfire's World ┤▒├ All welcome, all the time - come say Hi!

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/10/12 21:27:57 )

@Wildfire: wow it sounds lovely tbh, definitely the sort of place I'd like to visit. Though I don't usually have to worry about being welcomed to places, being White and English, but it's still nice to know :) do you get much chance to practise your Italian in the wild?

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/10/12 21:36:33 )
@sunny: If you get the chance, you should come :)
No, there's not much Italian in Florida. I should have learned it when I lived in the northeast US, where there are heavy Italian descendant populations, but, I'm not sure it would have helped much. The Italian spoken here always struck me as "memories" of the actual language; grammatically incorrect, "Americanized", and basically, bastardized. I learned French while I was living up there and tried finding people to speak with, but they spoke mostly the Canadian French, which is distinctly different from the Parisian French that I learned... which is different from the Cajun French that I'm likely to find in the south US.

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/10/12 21:38:40 )
@0v7: I know you're not in Florida, but what do you think - do you think the US is fairly multicultural?

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/10/12 21:46:06 )

@Wildfire: wow that sounds confusing. I can imagine I would get quite culture shocked, but it does sound so interesting. I definitely want to visit the US one day, not least because I have so much many friends there.

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/10/12 21:48:23 )
@sunny: Culture shock is to be expected. *I* got culture shock coming back to the US after spending only a week in Rome. :3

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/10/12 21:50:15 )

@Wildfire: lmao I can imagine. I got a bit culture shocked too after 6 months in Italy. It opened my eyes to a lot of things about my culture that I had never considered before.

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/10/12 21:51:49 )
This is exactly

Guess who has hot chocolate.

what you think it is.

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/10/12 21:56:10 )
@sunny: Rome suits me better in some ways than my native country. I'd love to see more of the rest of the world and experience the different cultures. Here, yes, I can visit some of the "cultural pockets" that are everywhere, but often the culture is a generation or two (or more) removed from its source, and ultimately, it's still American...

@Another Movie Addict: Hmmm... let's see... who has hot chocolate? me? no... Sunny? Sunny, do you have hot chocolate??
;)

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/10/12 22:05:21 )

@Wildfire: hmm yes, that is one of the drawbacks to living in one of the biggest countries, on a continent with like one other country. The US seems quite isolated in that respect.

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/10/12 22:05:51 )

@Wildfire: I could have some hot chocolate, if I wasn't already in bed.

currently: new novel who dis?

q u e s t i n g :
beanie doll! thank u cookie

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/10/12 22:06:14 )
This is exactly

Is so delicious

what you think it is.

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/10/12 22:14:12 )
@sunny: Yes, the US is fairly isolated because of its sheer size. Canada mostly "doesn't count" as a different culture since we have so much in common culturally as well as historically. Mexico is definitely a different culture, but the connection points between it and the US are limited. Then there's Cuba, which is its own entity entirely. The Caribbean islands are interesting and diverse because of their history and various mish-mashed cultures, with still some influence from Europe. Then we're in to Central and South American countries, which frankly, we don't usually have too much interaction with (or so it seems, but maybe I'm just sheltered or something)

@another movie addict: What do you think - is the US multicultural?
Also, I can't remember the last time I had hot chocolate... two or three years ago, Christmastime maybe?

Donator — She/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/10/12 22:20:54 )

@Koah: Wow I really like your avatar!

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/10/12 22:24:13 )
This is exactly

It's not truly multicultural, unless you count bastardizing other's culture.

what you think it is.

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/10/12 22:38:56 )
@Totalanimefan: Hey Total. How are you?

@Another Movie Addict: Yeah, that's pretty much what I said. I think it's a natural evolution of "remembered" cultural influences over the generations, but yeah. Still, there are pockets that are fairly true to the source, and others that are are interesting in different ways... maybe just not source-authentic...

Donator — She/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/10/12 22:51:29 )

@Wildfire: Hey, I'm good. The weather has been crap today. I can't wait to see the sun tomorrow. It's been raining all day yesterday and today. It's the leftover from Delta. What about you?

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/10/12 22:53:41 )
@Totalanimefan: I'm hanging in there, thanks. I've been inside -making some progress on some computer stuff I have to do- and feeling like I should be taking advantage of the really nice weather we've had all day... and not. I wasn't thinking about Delta - that would explain the nice weather here today! I'm sorry you're getting hit with the after-effects of the storm...

┤▒├ Hangout with me! ┤▒├

Donator — She/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/10/12 23:01:25 )

@Wildfire: Yeah you probably have the steering high over you right now. Is it a bit cooler there too?
It's alright. It will be leaving sometime tonight. ^^

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

Voltie — He/Him Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/10/12 23:08:16 )
"The future must know where you've been."

@Wildfire: To answer your question - it depends on the area. I live in the white dominant Midwest, in a rural area. The cities are better, but most of my experience is the area where I live.

"The past predicts the state you're in!"

Voltie — He/Him Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/10/12 23:09:14 )
"The future must know where you've been."

Also, don't forget mixed people (like me) exist! Those people are very much multicultural.

"The past predicts the state you're in!"
I quit Voltra. Read my profile.

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.