Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Hangouts ┤▒├ Wildfire's World ┤▒├ All welcome, all the time - come say Hi!

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/10/12 20:46:06 )

@Wildfire: yeah I can't stand high humidity. I think I would perish if I had to live in Florida lol.

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/10/12 20:46:22 )
@0v7: oh no! That's not good at all. I'm sorry :(
What did you do with it? What did you use?

Voltie — He/Him Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/10/12 20:48:33 )
"The future must know where you've been."

@Wildfire: Browned the turkey, then added steamed broccoli. Then, I added rice vinegar, sesame oil, garlic powder, and pepper. Later I added brown sugar and more sesame oil by reheating the stuff in a pan and stirring it in. I'm not sure what exactly went bad, but my mouth feels WEIRD.

"The past predicts the state you're in!"

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/10/12 20:48:36 )
@sunny: LOL - just never, ever, ever come here during July or August for any reason - it's absolutely brutal, even for those of us who live here all the time. December - April is usually very nice, though... which is why more than half the north american continent (and who knows what percentage of the rest of the world) is usually here! XD

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/10/12 20:50:52 )
@0v7: This is purely instinctual, but the rice vinegar and the sesame oil, maybe? It doesn't often take much for sesame oil to go off, and combined with the vinegar...? plus the sugar...? -shrugs- :(

Voltie — He/Him Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/10/12 20:52:16 )

@Wildfire: I think so too - the rice vinegar is more likely the culprit, since I had just opened the sesame oil a week ago. The brown sugar was fine, probably. Gonna go toss that rice vinegar >_>

Voltie — He/Him Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/10/12 20:52:32 )

Also, I might say screw it and buy a butt ton of tofu. I like tofu at least.

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/10/12 20:54:27 )
it takes a lot for vinegar to go bad... since it basically already is "bad" (fermented/highly acidic). It might be the combination of the vinegar + the sugar + the oil.

I'm sorry your experience with the turkey didn't turn out so well :(

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/10/12 20:55:13 )

@Wildfire: LOL I have heard it's a very popular tourist destination. Mostly because of Disney etc. I would like to visit one day, but idk if I'd be brave enough to get on an aeroplane again xD

Voltie — He/Him Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/10/12 20:55:29 )

Ohhh no, the turkey was bad. There are SO many flies in the garbage now.
owo;;;;;;

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/10/12 21:00:07 )
@sunny: brave enough for an airplane - because of covid? Yes, there are a LOT of tourists who come here. I have been at the beaches or in some of the parks and heard as many different languages spoken as I did when we were in Rome.

@0v7: oh no! You just bought that, didn't you?

Voltie — He/Him Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/10/12 21:01:02 )

@Wildfire: I bought it Saturday T_T
I'm glad I only ate a little bit. But I'm afraid of food poisoning.

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/10/12 21:03:30 )

@Wildfire: it's very multicultural then? I am scared of planes, heights, and I have an embarrassing fear of the ocean so a plane going over the ocean is a big no no. I'm hoping I get braver though.

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/10/12 21:03:42 )
... and most of the rest of the world doesn't expect "average American" to have a clue about languages other than English (& admittedly, it's difficult to stay current with other languages), so it's always amusing to me to identify the language being spoken and try to listen in.

@0v7: If you only ate a little, you should be ok. You could try taking some vitamin C or some activated charcoal if you have any around. Or drinking some soda (preferably more like tonic water) to help things digest and move out faster...
Also, I would definitely talk to customer service at the store and tell them your experience.

Voltie — He/Him Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/10/12 21:06:14 )

@Wildfire: I might have vitamin C - can't have activated charcoal, 'cause I take prescription meds. I also have soda!

I quit Voltra. Read my profile.

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/10/12 21:16:00 )
@sunny: I couldn't see the ocean at all during my transatlantic flights unless I turned on the plane cameras, and most people shut the window blinds during the trip, so looking out wasn't really an option (I assume this was an attempt to combat jet lag).

Is Florida multicultural? That's an interesting question. I'd have to say that it is, as you'd expect, mostly American. We tend to have a good number of Mexican, Puerto Rican, Latino pockets in Florida because of basic geography, but again, I have heard a lot of different languages spoken, mostly at the parks or typical tourist places - German, Russian, Belarusian, French, Spanish, etc. Disney, Busch Gardens, Universal Studios pull from across the world. I nearly got in to a fight with some Irish dude because I asked his kid to be more careful and stop slamming my fingers with her tray as we were going through one of the food lines at Busch Gardens - lol. The Club Med that's in Florida has more French. Miami and south Florida is a lot of Spanish-speaking or Carribean influence. People come here for the beaches, they come here to golf. I think, it depends where you go. I would say it's a good idea to be able to speak English (or maybe Spanish), though, simply because for even the best-intentioned of us Americans to be bilingual, it's hard to do - we are not linguistically challenged all the time like a lot of the rest of the world is. We travel state to state (roughly the equivalent of going country to country through Europe) and the language and majority of the culture is the same...

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/10/12 21:17:40 )
@0v7: The soda should help with the digestion. The vitamin C should help "grab" the nasties and hopefully help you get rid of it without additional trouble.

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/10/12 21:19:01 )

@Wildfire: the longest plane ride I've been on was to Malta so idk about transatlantic travel. They wouldn't let you open the window cover?

oh wow, it sounds like a real melting pot of cultures. It sounds like London tbh, though warmer and with more theme parks.

currently: new novel who dis?

q u e s t i n g :
beanie doll! thank u cookie

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/10/12 21:24:29 )
@sunny: It is definitely a melting pot, and I'd have to say that most of us are nice and would try to help somebody who came here without really knowing the language. Expanding out of Florida for a moment, there are a lot of pockets of Italian and Portuguese (etc.) in the northeast US. There's a fair number of Indian/Hindu here (FL) too. And the parks, to their credit, do try to hire bilingual people (but it seems most of these people are not American - probably for the reason I mentioned above (difficulty maintaining another language)). People come to fish, to scuba dive, to camp, etc. It is really a great place to visit (or to live) tbh... as long as you like the heat.

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/10/12 21:26:10 )
I would LOVE to go to London. And visit much more of Europe. If I could, I'd take a couple of years, rent an apartment somewhere (maybe in England just because of the language thing; give myself a break! ;) ) and roam around...

┤▒├ Hangout with me! ┤▒├

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.