Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat God another diaper party

Voltie — she/her Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/22 03:35:34 )

Another diaper party popped up at work and like...
I hate to come off selfish or mean but can we *not*?!
I'm over here debating on having just green bean casserole for xmas dinner instead of anything with meats or balance just cause this recession is kicking my asssss!
Diapers are so freaking expensive, I never thought I'd have to worry about them. PLUS A POT LUCK

Of course its one of those really awkward situations where you want to say "hey let me stay out of it, I'm not able to afford it" but like there is some sort of silent obligation cause there are only a few of us. what's a party without a group or something, I dont wanna ruin their fun or otherwise sit there awkwardly not pitching in

Social obligations are stressful

Donator — He/They Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/22 03:40:08 )

Diaper party?? First I misread the title as "dinner party", seemed right, then did a double take. What in the sam hill is a diaper party?

Voltie — she/her Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/22 03:44:51 )

@Count Trashula:
so when someone's about to have a baby, people throw this "diaper party" where everyone goes out and buys diapers and other baby gifts to help the couple out. Because diapers are expensive af. Its a sweet idea but like... but diapers are expensive af
Not everyone has enough money to afford this kind of thing, on top of buying stuff to make a whole dish enough for everyone

Voltie — she/her Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/22 03:49:00 )

Also I love the double take
that was my reaction when I first learned about these parties too

Donator — He/They Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/22 03:55:32 )

OK that makes sense lol

I say if you ain't got the money, you ain't got the money. "Not my baby" may not be the friendliest way to word it, but I don't think you should feel obligated to spend money you don't have on things you didn't ask to be involved in. Especially if you're bringing food, no reason anyone should say anything. Give 'em the ol' "Sorry, money's really tight this year. I'm sure you know how it is" if they start looking at you all expectantly.

Voltie — she/her Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/22 04:00:38 )

@Count Trashula:
Yeah, its a weird thing to throw a party like this in the first place. We're all commission workers, so we're all not getting paid rn (recession hitting us pretty hard, cause no one has money for luxuries rn)
I'll see what I can manage to get through it~

"not my baby" is my inner selfish voice for real

Donator — He/They Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/22 04:21:04 )

Gotta look out for yourself first ;^)

Hope it goes OK. I'm sure they'll understand if you're all in the same boat anyway!

ALWAYS PING ME

Voltie — she/her Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/22 04:33:11 )

Yeah I hope so too!
I'll feel really bad if others dont participate either and the whole thing flops.
But eh? we really ought to get better at communicating these ideass

I am leaving Voltra
Find my links here

08 22 22

Donator — Pomepome Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/22 08:34:32 )
You should be able to tell them how you feel! I would. If i cant get Kids and they would make me attend them i would tell them "if they want to Ruin my life they should proceed" yeah iam that petty.
+Pls ping me+
Nothing Fancy to see here!

Voltie — They/He Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/22 15:13:34 )

so... a baby shower??? never heard the term "diaper party"

Don't know how to use/read tone tags?
Go Here!

Donator — Medical Biller Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/22 23:07:53 )
A "Diaper Party" that sounds inappripotate to have at work, but it's good that the co-workers want to support her. Just bring something to drink and a card. It is what it is
Ensuite, je suis le fantôme de Novembre!

Voltie Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/23 00:28:55 )
    Yikes.
    I never fell for the pressure of work crap like that. Whenever people would bring in order forms for their kids' cookie/wrapper/fundraising nonsense I would pass. And any time the bosses tried to have some kind of event for "morale" I would just flat-out ask for money.

It didn't go over well, but I also got out of it.

Donator — She/Her Posted 1 year ago ( 2022/12/24 04:13:13 )
It's not selfish for you to feel that way, and by no means should you feel obligated to provide anything, especially if you aren't even close to that coworker. None of their business why you didn't/can't bring anything they wanted or needed. Like you said, diapers (and by extension, babies) are expensive. And chances are, the parents won't actually need or use all that they ask for. Happened with me and my son, which I feel horrible for, but it's common to want everything for your first child and not actually use it all. Lesson learned for what I actually need for future children.
Goodbye, Voltra.
Feel free to add me on Discord: aisu9811

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.