Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Serious Talk Share your 2021 year in review

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2021/12/28 22:08:43 )

2021 is coming to a close. It's weird to say because I still want to write out 2020. It's like these last two years both happened and were added 10 years to us, but also time has stood still.

I want to hear about what you have done and accomplished in 2021. Anything and everything is valid. It can be anything from I lived through 2021, I got out of bed in the morning to I got a new job or moved. This is in the serious forum so feel free to go into detail and express how you feel too. I think it's important to reflect in life specially when times are hard. You can put things in spoilers if you feel they are a bit sensitive.

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2021/12/28 22:57:37 )

I'll tell mine 2021 year in review. Warning, it's long lol.

What a horrible day, for America in general but specially for the people who live in and around the nations capital. I can remember seeing those people take the metro with their awful signs and gear. I remember seeing them go in and out of their hotel rooms. I remember how nobody got arrested. There was supposed to be raid hour in Pokemon Go and that was cancelled in our region. We had lockdowns and had to be home by 5 or 6pm. I watched the VA National Guard cross the river into DC from out my window about 1 min after I saw the tweet from the VA Governor.
Everyone in DC knew this was going to happen. We talked about it a lot on reddit before and after it happened. That day I was mostly off the internet, I knew I didn't want to know what awful things were going on, and then my husband comes out from his meeting and told me to put on the news because the Capital was breeched. I didn't think it was going to get that bad. For the rest of the day/night all we did was look at updates on Twitter and Reddit + The Washington Post news live feed. Things were weird around here after that. Lots of things blocked off, whole neighborhoods you didn't and couldn't go to because there were blocked off for security reasons. And it stayed that way until just after the inauguration.
I guess I'll add the inauguration part in here too, since it's also political. I'm so happy that Trump didn't win the election. I remember everyone getting the news at the same time with push updates (in 2020) and literally I heard people cheering from the balcony.
Anyway back to 2021. I watched the whole thing live-streamed and I was happy. I knew it wouldn't fix a lot of what is wrong with America, but I feel like it stopped somethings from getting worse.

In the winter and early spring before I was vaccinated I mostly just stayed inside and I did not eat at restaurants, I didn't travel, etc. I did have about 6 online job interviews and I kept not getting the job because I didn't have a 4-year degree. Early 2021 was tough for me. I felt like I was doing my best and nothing was working out.

I bought a house with my husband in Jan and we moved in a few days later in Feb. It's a nice house in a nice neighborhood but we don't know if it's the 'one' for us. Lots of positives but also it's hard to socialize here as most if not all people on our block are retired.

In May and early June I was able to get my 2 shots! This is a really big deal for me because I have PTSD related to shots and healthcare workers. It's something I was working on with a therapist in person in late 2018 and all of 2019 (and 2020 before the pandemic). I wasn't able to get the shot the first time I tried. But the 2nd time (still 1st shot) I was lucky enough to get a healthcare worked who could recognize my PTSD and she worked with me to help me through it and gave me my first shot!! Honestly it took like 20 mins but she knew what to do and how to let me be the one that was in control even though she still was the professional that administered it. She also did the 2nd shot for me in June. I was so happy both times I cried, but the first time it was the first shot I had been given since the trauma and I was so proud of myself. Whenever I thought about it I cried tears of joy for weeks. It was probably one of the hardest things I've ever done and the biggest accomplishment in my life. I know that may seem weird to some, but honestly I had worked for years with a therapist and I made so much progress.

In August we had our foundation to the house fixed. The people that we bought it from didn't say that it was a bad as it was and it cost us a ton of money. Our house was even actively leaning and sinking into one side. We got it all fixed after two weeks of them working on it. Then we tried to get new windows. This was a whole to-do, so I'll keep it short. Long story short we live in a historic neighborhood. Historic board said we had a 'late' house so you can do more to do and it's not a problem. Ordered the windows based off that. Window people didn't tell me the windows were Vinyl. Turns out Vinyl is never allowed no matter what, and our house is an early house. After literally two months of my husband and I trying to 'work with' the historic board (instead of the window company doing that for us, it should have fucking been them working with the board and not me, I know nothing about windows). Now we can't put the windows up and we still have to pay for the materials that the company lost out on. ($6,000 down the fucking drain and two months of major stress).

All my travels and seeing people:
Finally with my shots I could see people again and travel. In June a couple I'm friends with came to stay with us and it was really nice! In August was Otakon (in DC) so I didn't travel much, but everyone that I see at the con stayed at my house before the con started and then we all went together. Even my sister came! I had a ton of fun there and EVERYONE followed the mask guidelines.
In Sept I was finally able to go back to FL and see my family and friends. My husband and I were soo busy during those two weeks but the pandemic made us realize that sometimes it's now or never when it comes to seeing people. You never know who could pass. Also my Dad's place is beyond a disgusting mess so we are for sure not staying with him again, and he got a new place that's kinda far from where I used to live, so it was a real pain to drive at least at hour daily to meet with someone and then an hour back.
In Oct a friend from FL (different part, didn't get to see her lol) came to mine and I met her BF for the first time. They are a great together. We saw Hadestown and I showed them around DC! (I love doing that), also @Spider: happened to be at the same show as me! But we couldn't meet cause of the bad cell service lol.
For Thanksgiving my mom, sister, and her BF came to mine and we had a great time. Of course I showed them around and I feel like I barely got to show them all of the cool things. There just wasn't enough time.
In early Dec just before Onicron was a problem, my husband and I were in the UK to see his family. It was nice and I'm glad that we picked tickets before Christmas because the Christmas time tickets were too expensive. It was a blessing in disguise.

The other huge part of my year has been going back to school/Uni to get my 4-year degree. I didn't get to finish school and I had thought about going back but this time it's for real. I started Sept 1st and I've finished 9 classes since then. It's one class at a time go at your own pace. You take the exam when you are ready, or you submit the essay when you feel it's good enough. It's what I do from 9-5 (more like 10-7) each day an I treat it like my job. Sometimes I study on the weekend, but really my own breaks are holidays or vacations. I'm excited to be able to finish and I hope to get my B.S. by Sept 1st, 2022.

I feel like this has really helped my mental health. I didn't really talk about it too much in this post but it was really in the toilet between all of the horrible things that are happening across the US and world in addition to having no job and being stuck at home 90% of the time. And I want to give a special shout out to @Koneko: because they have really helped me. I obvs have some techniques from therapy but 2020/2021 is a whole new ballgame and I have new triggers and things that I have never experienced before. They are always there for me if I need advice or just someone to talk to. So thank you!

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

Voltie — Moody Posted 2 years ago ( 2021/12/29 04:36:17 )
Moody Says. . .

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

tbh i don't remember a whole lot that i did[mainly due to my adhd], nor accomplished as pretty much i was and have been in survival mode.
so all i did was play video games and sometimes drew. but not really that proud of anything right now.
so mine is very brief.

TW//: death in my family happened.

basically struggled with income, fighting food stamps like all the time[including now as they haven't paid us in 3 months].
My mother passed away in September the day after my parents' anniversary. She has been hospice since late 2019. and it was quite a painful experience. but what made it more painful was lack of empathy from family.
and Overall im still just surviving things. As well as i first hand just saw how rough my mom was in shape before passing on a few days later from when i saw her. and im in a better place with what happened then i was. But sometimes it comes in waves. she had a stroke when i was 14 so i used to not really having a mom after it happened. but it just still wrecked me emotionally that i just slept for the entire two months after it happened.

I didn't go out much at all. only to get my vaccine. and that's really the only time i left the house. I am not really an outdoor person.
But I also have no license and no friends so there isn't much for me to do.

We went to the hot air balloon festival in August but stayed in the car which we still got to see the balloons at a fair distant
and afterwards got donuts and that was very nice.

Overall, this year kinda made me realize..who was there for me and who wasn't. and sadly 99% of my family wasn't.
and a lot of them...i saw how bad their attitudes were through social media that after blocking them i feel so much better mentally.
and ready to move on with my life without them and trying to do things i enjoy without thinking what they think.

i think if not my favorite groups within music, i would not have survived this year as well as I did. It was emotionally draining.

i was somewhat productive, but there aren't very many things i felt proud of.
but maybe next year i'll get a step closer to where i want to be with my art.
I want to do better with studying my art since this year i was awful at it and completely just...forgot everything i wanted to do.

The good thing that did happen was my bestie gave me $100 for my b-day[which just wasn't great day and i decided will not be celebrating it anymore lol] but then i got paid by redbubble $14. not a lot but it made me feel maybe my art is good so a step closer to my dream desktop.

sorry if this post was overall sad sounding, this year was just...kinda rough mentally.
But hoping next year will be less draining.

If you need my attention for any reason please ping me.
[My Website]

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2021/12/29 07:47:38 )

There's a lot that has happened this year if I'll be honest. It will be hard to write all of them and reflect all at once but I supposed there were certain months that stands out than the rest. But I'll try to keep it balance here since I learned very hard this year to be grateful with what you still have and remain as positive no matter how many troubles lay ahead.

This was the most stressful moment of this year. I was dealing with depression, burnout and felt like I had no control with majority of what happened in my life at that moment. I remembered early May all I did is sleep a lot because I was just done with life, even my brother started to noticed my lack of activity and got worried for me. But to top it off? We nearly got evicted. I explained most of this on other threads before but to make it short my mom has a tendency to hoard and I was done dealing with it. We were going to lose our apartment because of it and we had not enough money to move somewhere else. I had to clean and tidy up a lot this month, my landlord several visits to our apt. was a nightmare for inspections. Then they were a few stuff that needs to be fixed around the apt. that was prolong because of covid and to my mother constant avoidance to our landlord. Things got really south that we had to have a family intervention and that shit is rare on my family. My brother had to have a talk with our mom then they were a few times I had to have a talk to her. But because of that my mom pulled through, she was willing to let go or give away a lot of her stuff and we had an okay review with our landlord.

But to be honest when all of this was happening, I was mentally prepared for the worst outcome. If we do get evicted I don't know what will happen or what I will do but would it be bad to say I felt somewhat cathartic to move away from here? I just had enough, felt like at one point I was dealing with other people's issues more than my own. But I learned a lot from this time, I was listening to a lot of self-help podcast on Spotify while I was cleaning to keep myself sane. Learned a lot about embracing and accepting the sucky moments of life and it just teaches you to be more grateful
of the good things that will come or had happened. It felt like an important lesson for me to learn.

If May was a nightmare, June was heaven on earth. I was glad that I still had a home to live in and I was happy that everything is settling down. Plus it was a nice to have a clean home for a change but merely accepted that if it gets messy again, it is what it is. Personally I've given up living on a clean home because there's no point of putting my 100% best if no one else does. I'll do that once I move and live by my own. Is a bit fucked up, but one of the reasons I got burned out is because I felt the need to clean everything here. But now I clean what I can.

The rest of June I just focused on myself and my overall health. Went out on walks more, got myself a notebook at that time and journal a lot. Actually I got into writing a little too much this month but mostly after what happened. I felt more stable and contented the normalcy June brings and this pretty much went out the rest of the summer. Still had issues to face though and still had my low moments but it made it a little easier to deal with since.

There are more honourable mentions this year but too lazy to write anymore and is a bit personal to share. But if you ask if I accomplish anything this year I'm not sure if I have many. I supposed I learn about more of myself this year and the people around me. I feel more stable within than ever before. But I've made some choices I deeply regret like not getting vaccinated because I was too chicken to go. And I may feel more comfortable going out on my own but meeting new people still proves to be a challenge.

Art DumpAvatar GalleryQuest Items

Donator — She/Her Posted 2 years ago ( 2021/12/29 09:48:12 )
This year I did my cooking course and I learned to cook various foods and my classmates felt like a second family to me and they were interesting and funny people to talk to. I reached out to my online friends that I haven’t talked to in 10 years and it was one of the best decisions I have ever made. This year my trauma from 10 years ago which before only remembered through recurring dreams became unrepressed leading to severe migraines and crying so much I couldn’t stop, I felt like I was stuck in the past and I couldn’t sleep for days because I felt and remembered the sheer terror of what had happened 10 years ago. My friends were there for me during my crying and talking about my trauma and still are. And I really appreciate them being there for me as my friend, my support system and my family.

Donator Posted 2 years ago ( 2021/12/29 18:06:05 )
2021 honestly for me felt like such a blurr and I can’t believe it’s a few days away from being 2022. Mostly stayed home, teleworking, keeping myself busy inside, and being safe whenever I went out. I’m hoping to get a bit more excitement back in my life during 2022.

Artist Posted 2 years ago ( 2021/12/30 21:41:34 )
I don’t really want to reflect on the past 3 years for me as its still too painful (so much loss)

But I did get a new bike for Christmas, first bike I’ve had in a decade and my first Christmas bike xD so that’s pretty cool~ it’s rose gold too~

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/01/10 15:49:04 )
    It sounds like some nice accomplishments you've had! Here's to many more in the future that you can look back on with a smile.

Ah, for me, let's see...I graduated, became engaged, and failed my exam. I know it was an entire year, but it feels like it whizzed by pretty quickly and nothing particularly eventful happened. I did get to see some friends from school, which was an absolute joy for me. I took the train (I love riding on trains) and it was an all together pleasant year.

It's kind of one of those funny/not funny things but I have a bachelor's degree, and a graduate's degree and potential employers will now say 'but ahh, you don't have 10 years of experience!' I'm now more formally educated and certified, but it's harder for me to get a position in this field because of all the barriers and requirements.

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.