Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat Scam callers are persistent

Donator — - Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/02/7 14:21:05 )
I blocked scam call numbers, so my phone doesn't ring, nor does anything pop up but it if I look at the recent call screen it will still tell me when that number has tried to call me. The same two scam numbers have tried to call me three times a day every day for months. Thank fuck I blocked them.

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/02/7 14:28:54 )
It's one of my pet peeves too. Or when they mask the number, or constantly rotate numbers so they're impossible to actually block unless you block all numbers not in your address book. What ever happened to the "do not call" list 'eh?

Donator — - Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/02/7 14:32:36 )
@Wildfire: Mine too, especially where I work overnights and they always seem to call when I'm sleeping.

You can report scam calls if you're on the DNC registry. I take the time to report every new number but it doesn't seem to do much. : /

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/02/7 14:37:13 )
@Gatorlec: I report them too -or at least I try- but these "companies" are getting really sneaky with making the calls these days and masking the actual numbers or organizations they're calling from.

Donator — Frog bless Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/02/7 19:06:29 )

It's gotten so bad the last couple years. I get at minimum 2 every day. I just never answer unless it's someone I know. If it's important they can leave a voicemail.

Donator — Whatever Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/02/7 19:14:25 )
Are ya ready, guyz?!

Iirc the DNC laws or whatever need updating cuz they aren't equipped to handle cell phones or some weird nonsense like that, I've heard

Personally if I don't know the number I don't answer
Unless it's summer and timing is about right for my summer job to call me on/off

Put ya guns awn!

questShop

Voltie — she/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/02/7 21:41:01 )

I've had 15-20 spam calls in a day, every day for most of last year. I think the things that require my phone number, like car insurance and stuff like that (and cheap phone service company) give out my number or something, cause I definitely don't hand it out willy nilly. >>

Annoying thing is they may be the same spam caller, but they'll use a different number every time so I can't prevent it.
I am leaving Voltra
Find my links here

08 22 22

Donator — Fujoshi Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/02/7 22:03:52 )
TSUN TSUN TSUN (︿)

@Gatorlec:
@Wildfire:
They’re impossible to block because they keep spoofing their numbers. I got an app that automatically blocks scammers, and it’s been working fine for me... though last week I got like multiple calls from scammers pretending to be from Apple or saying that I have an arrest warrant, and they kept bypassing my app somehow. ): So frustrating.

( ) DERE DERE DERE

Donator — Frog bless Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/02/7 22:48:10 )

Once my parents got a call from their own number so. Yeah.

Mallow Tumbleweed
My Sons

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/02/8 00:07:37 )
@Tsundererra: Exactly. I have a blocking app installed too and my general rule of thumb is if I don't recognize the number, I don't answer. If they're legit, they can leave a message.

Donator — He/Him Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/02/8 02:47:25 )
I used to get fucking group texts from people on my number. I thought it was funny at first, but they kept doing it so I had to block them. x_x

Ping me!

Hangout

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/02/8 15:04:33 )
@KDA Drew: ooOOOooh! I knew this happened and was happening, but it's interesting to have it confirmed by somebody who deals with that kind of stuff.
┤▒├ Hangout with me! ┤▒├

Donator — Fujoshi Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/02/8 17:38:21 )
TSUN TSUN TSUN (︿)

@KDA Drew: I’m surprised this is a thing since it wasn’t long ago that we had phonebooks with everyone’s names and phone numbers listed. D’x It sucks that everyone is making money off of our information except for us (legally and illegally).

( ) DERE DERE DERE

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/02/8 20:35:53 )
Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan!

Gatorlec:
I blocked scam call numbers, so my phone doesn't ring, nor does anything pop up but it if I look at the recent call screen it will still tell me when that number has tried to call me. The same two scam numbers have tried to call me three times a day every day for months. Thank fuck I blocked them.

I completely agree about scam callers - but did you know you're also blocking legit businesses?

I used to work for a call center that did work for companies like Direct TV, Spectrum, Virgin Mobile, etc. And those spam blockers? They are evil. Most of them use pre-recorded messages made to sound like a real person, to mess with whoever is calling you. I have seen co-workers reduced to tears, shaking and crying from some of the things those pre-recorded message say to them. While I haven't broken down in tears, I have had to take a break after some of those calls. Being told I should kill myself, they hope I get raped, that they are going to track me down and kill me - these are some of the things those spam blocking apps say.

And all of this just because Spectrum, DTV, etc. wanted their equipment back after a customer had cancelled their service.

We’re all stories, in the end. Just make it a good one, eh?

Donator — Fujoshi Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/02/9 00:29:54 )
TSUN TSUN TSUN (︿)

@KDA Drew: Omg, that is terrifying! D: It’s crazy how far they’re willing to go to ruin someone’s life and make money.
I know most scammers target older people who aren’t as tech savvy. My dad has gotten scammed a few times and given away his credit card number and my mom’s and my social security number... :viodone: It sucks that they’re trying to put more effort and endangering children now.

@Mellonin: I’m sorry you and your coworker had to listen to stuff like that. I wonder which blocking apps do stuff like that. I know mine just plays an out of service message to all blocked and suspected scammers.

( ) DERE DERE DERE

The truth behind Reaping Ritual 2019

Art by the rightful Mayor, Kiwi

Donator — - Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/02/9 11:16:57 )
@Mellonin: I'm literally just blocking numbers that I know are scam callers because I've answered them. I also don't care about companies enough to not block one that persistently wakes me up. Lmao

Edit: okay out of work, can finish the response

Still, I wouldn't be able to make a person over the phone cry. I can be a jerk but even I have a limit.
Sorry about the shit you've been through with that job.

Donator — - Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/02/9 13:09:20 )
@Wildfire: That's what I do too lol.

I don't use a blocking app, just manually block the numbers that I know are scammers.
I reverse search them. Lol.
@KDA Drew: Right, I figured that's probably what happened. Ugh that's frustrating.
@Tsundererra: That's terrible, I'm sorry.

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/02/9 18:16:08 )
Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan!

@Gatorlec: Sorry, I get kind of riled up when it comes to spam blockers. Most of the time, the people using them don't realize what the pre-recorded messages say, but they can be EXTREMELY nasty.

We’re all stories, in the end. Just make it a good one, eh?
Mellonin's Ramblings

Donator — - Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/02/9 20:40:59 )
@Mellonin: It's okay, you have a right to be, it's personal. I get riled up when people bash teachers because I was one. But, I'm sure many people wouldn't be using them if they knew. I just manually block the calls because I want to handle things myself. I'm a stereotypical man who has to do it his way, even if it's more difficult. xD

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/02/10 16:36:43 )

Pfft that's why I don't answer unknown phone numbers =w=
They are very extremely annoying
:vanora_unamused:

Art DumpAvatar GalleryQuest Items

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.