Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat Word of the Year

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/31 02:39:31 )
When I worked at a summer camp, we would be sorted into one word teams and that one word would be our team focus and guide for the summer. One year it was Joy and the next year it was Grace.

I loved the idea and adopted it for New Year a long while ago. Then I started seeing lots and lots of other people doing it too. I’m sure the camp I worked at adopted the idea from other people.

Anyway, over the years, I’ve chosen a word/phrase and let it be my focus for the year.
A few that I’ve utilized are Joy (multiple years), Play the Game, Drink the Koolaid, Fearless, etc.

I try to let the word or phrase find me. Maybe I hear it a lot in different contexts. Maybe it just floats through the air to me or maybe sometimes it just smacks me in the face and feels right.

This year, it just came to me when I woke up. I wasn’t thinking about a word, I wasn’t actively searching for the right one, I just woke up to it.

My word this year is....

Consistent

A nice, boring word. But I need it. I need consistency in my life. I need to BE consistent.

Do you choose a word or phrase for the year?
If you do, what did you choose for 2020?

Donator — She/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/31 03:24:38 )

I thought your word of the year when I first read it was Consent and I thought that’s a great word for this year. Then I realized you wrote consistent. Lol

So I’m going to go with consent.

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

Donator — Divine Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/31 03:42:11 )

My word for 2020 is:
Flow

Donator — Divine Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/31 05:53:53 )

Oh nice, loving abundance <3

°<°art by KeturahπŸ–€πŸ¦–πŸ–€

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/31 06:33:42 )
@totalanimefan: I mean... consent is always important 🀣
@inatlaka: I really like flow. It sounds so smooth.
@koneko: consistently abundant! I can get behind that XD I wanna be consistently living in abundance!

Donator — Whatever Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/31 08:07:54 )
Are ya ready, guyz?!

Drink the koolaid? As in drink the poison? I am confuse

Put ya guns awn!

Voltie — she/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/31 18:23:40 )
my word for 2020: lovely
Hangout: https://www.voltra.us/forum/view_topic/8610

Voltie — she/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/31 18:46:18 )

the first word to pop into my head is "patience"
and it annoyed me so that probably means I should go with that word
I DO need to be more patient in general...
:vanora_xd:

I've never done or thought about this, but I really like the concept!

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/31 18:59:14 )
@kitalpha hart: It was at a time when my job was introducing and implementing all these new initiatives. I’d spent half a year fighting it and thinking they were stupid (they still are), BUT that got me nowhere. I was being reprimanded and viewed as someone who wasn’t a team player. So, I decided to just jump in head first into their stupid programs and follow them to a T. Even though I knew the ideas were terrible, ineffective, and counterproductive. I “drank the koolaid” and joined them in their madness. I am now enthusiastically supportive of every new nonsense that comes my way in my profession- even if it’s dumb. Haha after that year of that phrase, I’m now viewed as a team player and team leader.

@khadijacandy: I love it!

@jolly: careful with that one! I find that every single time I start working on patience, the universe gives me ample opportunities to practice.
Meaning I find myself in more and more situations that require patience than usual. 🀣
Please ping! I get distracted easily.

Voltie — she/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/31 19:03:36 )

@mousy:
the universe has already been doing that pretty well in the past year lmao
My username was literally meant to be sarcastic originally :vanora_xd: Then it just became something to try and live up to.
I am leaving Voltra
Find my links here
❀
08 22 22

Donator — Whatever Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/31 19:58:35 )
Are ya ready, guyz?!

@Mousy: hoo boy that's a doozy

Put ya guns awn!

quest♀Shop

Voltie — She/They Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/31 20:08:41 )
The first word I though of was "confidence," so I'll go with that~

β˜…~~Questing~~β˜…

Voltie — They/Them Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/31 20:31:10 )
My word: productive. Gotta get more work done this year since I'm gonna be shoved into the real world soon and the only thing I can rely on for money is my nonexistent art career

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/01/1 09:45:33 )

The first word that I've thought of is brave but I think I'll stick with it. I've let fear get the best of me a lot in the past and becuse of that I regretted a few things along the way. But this year I'll try my best to be more open to whatever opportunity or challenges slaps on my face.

It can be something small though and work myself up til then idk.

Pisces/24/Canadian/Female

Art Dump β˜† Avatar Gallery β˜† Quest Items

Donator — he/him Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/01/1 13:56:43 )
This is a really cool idea!!! I’ll have to think of a word tomorrow after I’ve gotten some sleep. As is I’m on my last break at work and have about 3 brain cells left.

I like the suggestion of “productive”. I have a lot of projects I want to get off the ground in the new year. Something like “calm” or “strong” might be good too as I’m always working on being less anxious/fighting my various mental illness nonsense...
ping me for best results

Voltie — he/him Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/01/1 14:06:44 )
my word for 2020 is Mature. im hoping to "grow up"
ive grown tired of everyone around me treating me like a little kid. ive been a legal adult for almost 3 years now and people still belittle me and treat me like im a teenager or minor underage child

i thought i wouldn't mind but i've come to really dislike the feeling of being underestimated and constantly undercut due to perceptions that im young and inexperienced. it comes from all types of people: friends who are older, peers of the same age as me, my own family, etc....

im trying to "grow up" and change the way i act, which so far has meant getting my permit and soon my driver's license (finally). im not sure what other steps i will take, but i am mostly pushing towards total independence and self-sufficiency. i just don't want to be treated like a nuisance, or a little kid anymore. it hurts

Donator — haunting Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/01/2 01:54:51 )

mine will be "bravery". this is the year i get things done but i'm not gonna be able to do these things if i'm not brave.

hello again

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/01/2 04:29:21 )

My word for 2020 is courage.

It was actually a word that I stumbled on a lot in the last few months of 2019 while I was job hunting. Surprisingly, it was the word in my head before the interview to get the f/t job im starting this year. It's my first ever f/t job and I'm leaving my comfort zone so I need to be courageous to succeed. It's daunting but I'm really excited to see how far I can go this year.

Voltie — they/he/it Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/01/2 05:50:57 )
i thought long and hard about what word to pick, and i decided on "honesty." i have a tendency to keep my thoughts to myself for fear of other people's responses, but i've been meaning to be more open to others. i'd also like to be more honest with myself! i'll have to try to remember this.

Donator — Fluffywuff Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/01/2 15:14:30 )
My word of the year 2020 is

Freedom

Oh my love, I know you are my candyman
And oh my love, let us fly to bounty land~~

Közi (“Kouji.”)
He/him

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.