Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat Sunburns Are Hell

Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/08/17 20:47:05 )
Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan!

You know, I mentioned this when we had the summer event here ... I don't generally like heat. Or sun. It looks pretty sparkling off the water, but I am a pale redhead who burns easily - but never seems to tan. I do NOT like burning.

Recently, I was talked into going out on the lake before a lobster feast I had put together. (I live in Maine, and had managed to get over 10 lobsters completely free.) I even got to go out on the kayak while my brother and his family - visiting from California - were out on the canoe, both of which belong to my aunt. It was great fun.

I am not a cherry tomato. Every movement hurts. My skin is tight, and I know it is going to peel and blister. WHAT WAS I THINKING?!

I HATE THE SUN.

We’re all stories, in the end. Just make it a good one, eh?

Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/08/17 20:52:23 )
Oh you poor thing.
Dunk yourself in a whole bathtub of cool aloe vera gel.

Donator — Any Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/08/17 21:16:54 )
I feel it man
I went to Cedar Point for about 11 hours when it was at least 86. My body has been in immense pain for days now. I make my bf rub aloe on me whenever possible lmao
Please ping me!

Donator — Fluffywuff Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/08/17 21:20:42 )
@Mellonin: Keep your bottles of aloe vera gel in the refrigerator. Soak washcloths with it, and put them in the fridge as well, in plastic baggies. When they dry out, give them a rinse, and remake them. Aloe is your friend. <33 My grandmother used to say the best thing for sunburn is unflavored, unsweetened yogurt. She said yeah you smell gross, but you feel almost none of the burn. She was a redhead, and never even peeled if she used it. Damn. (Obviously check for allergens)

... I get sunburnt a lot. x_____x;; Even with the SPF 50+ for babies. Sucks.

Oh my love, I know you are my candyman
And oh my love, let us fly to bounty land~~

Közi (“Kouji.”)
He/him

Donator — She/her Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/08/17 21:28:06 )

Make sure you take cool showers! Do not take hot ones! Drink lots of water and something else with electrolytes. (Like OJ or another fruit juice). You wouldn’t seem thirsty but your skin really needs it right now. Aloe or even sunscreen will help your skin. And lastly try to keep yourself cool.

Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/08/17 22:54:32 )
Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it&rsquo;s a plan!

Well, I'm already failing by drinking mostly beer .... I should probably change that, haha. I'm on my weekend at the moment.

As for the gel ... Trust me, I already had my mother pick it up. It's kind of hard to reach some of the spots on my back, but she's been pretty helpful about it. I don't live with my boyfriend, otherwise I would have him do it ... as long as he didn't take it as an invitation for sexy times, haha!

We&rsquo;re all stories, in the end. Just make it a good one, eh?

Donator — She/Her Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/08/18 00:58:08 )
Millet, spilling the tea:

Every summer is different for me. Either I burn like a lobster or tan like dipped bronzer.

I guess that comes with the fact that I'm mostly half Irish, half Iberian. (A few other things mixed in but those are the dominant ones)

So I feel ya-

Sometimes.

Donator — he/him Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/08/20 17:35:08 )
Oh, geez. Totally relate. I'm not a red head though, but I am incredibly pale and have never been able tan. I just get burnt to a crisp and then my skin peels like a lizard for several days after. Does your skin peel?
(I'm Irish and Welsh so I think that's part of why I'm so f-ing pale.)
Edit: Lol, okay somehow missed that part. Yeah, the peeling and blistering is awful.

Donator — She/her Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/08/21 17:54:53 )

@Mellonin: haha
what about beer and water? You can drink both lol

Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/08/24 10:26:27 )

@Totalanimefan: Aww, but that isn't nearly as much fun!

The sunburn is getting better - it barely hurts at all now, but that means I get to deal with the peeling skin, which ... eww. Just ... eww.

Donator — She/her Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/08/24 23:09:02 )

@Mellonin: Good to hear that you are doing better. Be careful though, the new skin is really easy to burn!

Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/08/25 06:15:43 )

@Totalanimefan: Luckily, the weather is already starting to cool down here in Maine. The warmest days now are only n the high 70s for the most part, with the random day in the low 80s. Not nearly as bad as it was earlier in the month!

Donator — They/Them Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/08/25 15:47:12 )
@Mellonin: oh noooo! I'm so sorry to hear that. use aloe vera cream! it helps a bit
call me grem
they/them

Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/08/26 02:58:53 )

@nyreen: I stuck to the gel version, since we already had it - and I'm poor. Luckily, I have moved past the painful stage, and into the itching and peeling skin stage, haha.

Mellonin's Ramblings

Donator Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/08/26 05:05:28 )
Oh no! I've only been burnt that badly a few times. T_T It's awful!

Especially when it burns so bad that your skin feels tight and it's hard to move around, so you end up in this weird penguin waddle.

I've been to Florida a few times the last few years and... suprizingly I haven't gotten burned. I end up slathering my face with super high SPF, use high SPF bb cream and then use an SPF setting powder over that. Like IDK if I'm a greasy cakey mess, filters will fix that and I'm NOT getting burned. I spray myself like crazy too. :s
Please take my survey on dress up game art!

Donator — She/her Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/08/26 05:06:08 )

@Mellonin: that’s good. I’m not so hot days the sun can still be intense but I’m sure you will be ok.

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

Donator Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/09/11 00:47:05 )
This summer my friends wanted to go to a Renaissance Faire in the heat of June. I usually wait until mid- to late October, when it cools the heck down. They wanted to go on opening weekend. I coated myself in plenty of sunblock but did not reapply and by the time we finally got there, it was apparently useless. I haven't had a sunburn in YEARS (cause I always use sunblock and do not go outside unnecessarily anyway) and I was miserably hot the whole time but stuck it out for those guys...and I was the only one that got burned. Grr!

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.