Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat Things that aren't there anymore

Donator — Fluffywuff Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/06/30 09:49:06 )
...I seem to have a particular fascination with them.

Houses that changed, the rooms that aren't there anymore. Roads that were changed or diverted or abandoned. I love to see evidence of things that once were. I much prefer those past versions to the current ones. There are places in my nearby area that I plan to explore before I die.

Even indirectly, I love what once was. Material cut from video games, scrapped or changed versions of fine art...

Does anyone else have this fascination? :x

Donator — she/they Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/06/30 09:54:59 )
I love looking at comparison pictures of old places... especially fancy places that have fallen into decay. I saw a series of pictures once... I want to say it was by some photo-artist but it was just as likely that it was clickbait... that had old abandoned resorts and fancy hotels from the 70's. They were once very sleek, modern, elegant-yet-colossal beasts, and they turned into post-apocalyptic jungles, trash-heap skate parks, and the most beautiful graffiti wonderlands....
Ping me, Devil Daddy, ping me.

Donator — Fluffywuff Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/06/30 10:10:12 )
@Glume: Ohhh, those kind of places are neat. I love watching documentaries of stuff like that. Urban exploration looks like a lot of fun to me, except for the extreme respiratory hazards (mold, asbestos, etc.) and potential attacks by hobos and drug lords. XDD;;; There's this image in my mind of having a photoshoot of very grandly dressed people in a destroyed, decaying castle, going on with the feast like nothing happened.

Oh my love, I know you are my candyman
And oh my love, let us fly to bounty land~~

Közi (“Kouji.”)
He/him

Voltie — they/them Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/06/30 10:51:02 )
I think rather than the contrast between old and new, what really fascinates me is the idea of the events that took place in those old buildings, of the lives ill never get to be part of, all the hopes, dreams and expectations of people who believed maybe in their permanence
Im thinking about the present, and how somewhere in the future everything we knew is going to be the same
And this is a story thats almost unrelated but for me it captures the exact feeling they give me
Ever since i moved into town ten years ago, at the corner of the street that practically circled the farmer's market next to our house there was this newspaper stand.
My school was a pedestrian crossing and a few metres away, and as I got older, because since then id just pass it without a thought, I started buying teenage magazines from there. you know the type, talking about everything teenagers would care, from bands, trends, to puberty related questions and concerns.
The guy who worked there was really nice to me, and as i grew old he sometimes would ask as if pass by to my highscool, still at a walking distance, if I wanted the newest edition to one or other magazine.
At some point, i changed my route, newspapers started selling less, id only pass by his stand once it was already closed.
I started and finished uni, moved out, forgot all about him.
Until one day I get home and mom tells me hes sick in hospital, something to do with his heart. It didn't faze me at first, but id feel something like sadness passing his closed stand.
He died a week or so after, and that was when it hit me. The little stand at the corner of the street was empty, with old papers covering the windows from the inside.
I walked by days later, and half of it was torn open, a chaotic mess of old faded papers in its place.
And now it's gone. theres nothing at the corner of the street, and no sign it ever was.
And i cant stop thinking about the fact that in a way his existence too, was erased. He spent ten years in that little corner, or at least i knew him for that much, and now there's nothing to even prove that.
tumblr.
literally always ping me

Donator — A.I. Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/06/30 18:03:52 )
Ah, yes, to ponder what once was, what could have been... To imagine how different things were at that point in time, to try and immerse oneself in history or an alternate history... eras separated only by the ticks of a clock. I feel like part of it may be a desire to escape the world we live in, but it could also be pure curiosity. We are a naturally navel-gazing species after all. I do love to contemplate these things though. History and archaeology and anthropology are so interesting.

please ping me if you need my attention! || stardust || be excellent to each other ♥
[ often multitasking unsuccessfully ] | [ I may take a while to respond, but haven't forgotten you! ♥ ]
qu'est-ce que tu vas chercher?

Donator — Monster Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/07/1 05:42:28 )

This is exactly why I'm a history major; exploring what once was and how it was replaced with what is today.
I think my favourite is the concept of who used to live somewhere - but that's more of a fascination with ghosts lol

Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/07/1 06:30:19 )
Absolutely, whenever I watch movies with the culture of the 50's-80's I'm always fascinated at what my life would be like if I grew up in that time period haha.

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.