Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Vibrance Day 2022: Spring Cleaning! Spring Cleaning: The Dust Wars Event FAQ (+ Raffle Hangout!)

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/06/6 17:48:48 )
@neon: hello. good morning (or afternoon, or whatever)

@sunny: there are -or were- some squashes trying to grow. And there was an attempt at cucumber too. I think they've succumbed to the mildew, despite my efforts to keep it at bay. I suspect there were caterpillars involved in the demise of these plants as well. And no, we don't have much land at all, actually. I'm just growing things on quite a bit of what we do have - all down the side of the house and in about half of our back yard.

Donator Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/06/6 18:14:52 )
    @Wildfire: ooo i would love to grow cucumber. It’s one of my favourite veggies and I would love a home grown one. Are they difficult? Idk. I’m sorry the mildew got ‘em though, it always hurts when a plant dies, even though they’re not alive in the traditional sense. It’s sad when they succumb :(
    Oh I see!

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/06/6 18:25:54 )
@sunny: I really like cucumber too, but I haven't had much luck trying to grow them here. I think it's too humid, too fast for them. I might try growing them in a bucket and on a trellis next year (it's probably too late to try growing them here from scratch at this point). You might have better luck growing them than I've had, with your climate... I'm not sure /shrug/

Donator Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/06/6 18:31:51 )
    @Wildfire: I know a few people do grow cucumbers here in their allotments, I know they have some success. I think cucumbers like our British climate, though I’m not expecting them to grow particularly big.
    I wish you good luck with your bucket/trellis.
    All this talk of dead plants is depressive lol, have you got any good success stories from your garden?

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/06/6 18:36:04 )
@sunny: lol! Yeah, it kind of is, isn't it? XD ... uhhhh... I have a plethora of papaya plants? Is that a better story? And a ton of tomatoes? XD

Donator Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/06/6 18:42:21 )
    @Wildfire: oooo what variety tomatoes? I love tomatoes, especially cherry kind. So refreshing! I’ve already eaten but you’re making me hungry for tomatoes again XD

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/06/6 19:05:56 )
@sunny: I have some palm-sized tomatoes growing at the moment... I'm not sure what actual kind they are, tbh, since they came out of the compost for the most part... and I have some small cherry "Everglades" tomatoes that are just now springing to life in a corner of my garden. Those are sooooo sweet!! I might make a tomato sandwich for myself later, actually (not with the cherry tomatoes - but with the other ones)

It's hard to go wrong if you're snacking on tomatoes or cucumbers, imo... I say go for it! ;)

Donator Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/06/6 19:14:35 )
    @Wildfire: mmmm a tomato sandwich sounds pretty good right now :) do you put anything else on it or is it a tomato extravaganza?
    I wish I had some in but I have absolutely no veggies in the house atm. Only fruit, which is still yummy, but not what I’m craving. It’s probably for the best, it’s nearly bedtime here!

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/06/6 19:16:18 )
@sunny: Sometimes I'll add cucumber if I have it and am in the mood for it, but mostly I just slice the tomato and put it on bread with some mayo, alt and pepper. Pretty simple, but oh so yummy! What do you usually do with tomato sandwiches... or with tomato??

Donator Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/06/6 19:18:31 )
    @Wildfire: I love to combine tomato with other ingredients - especially cucumber, ham and cheese. Sometimes pickle. Sometimes avocado if I’m feeling fancy lmao. Honestly I will put tomatoes in any sandwich, in any combo. Though you can’t go wrong with simple cheese and tomato. I am a big fan of caprese salad and so sometimes I’ll add basil to the sandwich.

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/06/6 19:50:58 )
@sunny: Oh! I absolutely adore caprese... as its original "salad-y" self, or in sandwich form... it's great on ciabatta with mozzarella and fresh basil (+ maybe pesto) ! And yes, tomato makes a really great addition to most sandwiches! <3

Donator Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/06/6 19:59:38 )
    @Wildfire: mmmm that's good stuff. I love ciabatta in place of regular bread. With a little drizzle of olive oil..... Perfection!!!!
    I first had caprese salad when I was in Italy and I knew instantly that I had missed out!!! It's the perfect combo of ingredients XD

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/06/6 20:15:47 )
@sunny: it really is like the absolute most perfect lunch (or meal), isn't it???

Donator Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/06/6 20:20:31 )
    @Wildfire: it’s divine one of my favourites for sure! I also like the combo on a pizza, though tbh I like most kinds of pizza!

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/06/6 20:28:39 )
@sunny: I don't know that they do that on pizza here...

So what else do you like to eat like this from the garden or with fresh ingredients?

Donator Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/06/6 20:30:47 )

@sunny: i just cant throw my monochrome stuff away just now. but i will be buying more clothes soon. i need more professional stuff and i'll throw some colors in there!

bloop

Donator Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/06/6 20:32:19 )
    @Bonnie: that’s valid, professional stuff is hard to find in bright colours tbh, it’s mostly black on black. I think black has a time and a place!

Donator Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/06/6 20:33:55 )
    @Wildfire: no caprese pizza??? :o
    Ummm, what about peas, do you grow peas? Sugar snap peas in particular are a great snack food. I used to feed them to my rats but it always seemed like I enjoyed them more lol.

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/06/6 20:41:35 )

@sunny: I don't remember seeing caprese pizza around here, but maybe I'm just not remembering correctly, or looking in the right place - it's not like we eat pizza all the time.

Peas... yeah.. I think I included a couple seeds for a pea variety in that last batch of beans I prepped and tossed in the garden against a trellis. I can't remember at this point all of what's growing intentionally, what I tried growing and didn't actually grow, and what's coming up on its own that I have no idea what it is...

┤▒├ Hangout with me! ┤▒├

Donator Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/06/6 20:43:11 )
    @Wildfire: lol that’s wild, so it’s a surprise what plants show up? I love it!

currently: new novel who dis?

q u e s t i n g :
beanie doll! thank u cookie

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.