Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat Job Interviews Are Scary

Donator — she/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/10/19 18:03:19 )

No matter how much I prepare for an interview, I never actually feel prepared.

I worked as an orthodontist assistant and a barista for about 3 months, but I left the orthodontist office back in August. Since then I've been applying and interviewing for other jobs, and the anxiety that comes with preparing for the interviews is insane.

The uncertainty, not knowing what to expect, fear of saying the wrong thing or fumbling over my words, etc, is so nerve wracking. But I manage to make it through somehow.

And again, no matter how much I prepare -- whether it's by researching the companies, practicing in the mirror or to my stuffed animals, reviewing interview questions I find online, etc -- I never feel prepared and almost always end up messing up. ==; Maybe I'm trying too hard and should let things flow more naturally?

How are you with job interviews? Any recent interviews?

Donator — she/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/10/19 18:11:05 )

Over the past year my anxiety with interviews has increased due to my lack of success in pursing the dental field.

(While I did manage to get hired at the ortho office, it did take 6 months and about 49 previous rejections before I got hired. Even then, my experience at the office was so crappy that it added to my anxiety even more. I left because mentally I could no longer take it).

My experience with interviewing and the amount of rejections I've faced have been so mentally taxing that I'm back in counseling again. The mental exhaustion and burnout has lead me to start applying for positions in other fields.

❀❀❀❀

Check out my shop! Currently selling Winter '21 Plasma Orb Items and more.

Donator — PomePome Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/10/19 18:22:09 )
Yeah they are... I always put my mask on if i do one
~Pls Ping me~
Nothing fancy to see here!!!

Donator — He/They Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/10/19 20:57:52 )
(˵◕ ᴥ ◕˵)ノ Hello there

I totally get you.
I curently cant find a job due to mental health reasens but before that i did it alot.

In belgiumyou have to sign into a site and bc i just graduated i got alot of help of the people there. I had to weekly talk with them how my job searching adventure went ect
They helped me write my uh "cv" idk if thats the correct word in english. Its like the paper where you talk about past experience, what school u went to and more info ect. And did "workshops" to help with confidence, what questions to expect and did mini interviews to prepare you.
Eventually they stopped bc they deemed me mentaly unfit to have a job.

Everytime i actually had a job interview i felt like dying, im a very anxious person to begin with.
I feel like the worst part for me was if i aplied for 10 jobs only one got back to me to say they arent looking for somebody anymore.

Aplying for jobs always been discouraging imo, and especially now with the pandemic ect it feels... urg

I wish the best of luck to you
The only thing i can say is to not loose hope!

。.:☆*:・ヽ(˵◕ ᴥ ◕˵)

♦ Gob | 23 | Taurus | Belgium ♦
Insta | Toyhouse | Gallery | Carrd

♦ My Art Shop ♦

Donator — Any Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/10/19 21:22:09 )

:::ʚ♡ɞ:::
I'm awful at them
I've gotten to the interview process a few times and expected to be hired because I thought it went well, and never got called back. Happens a lot actually lol.
My anxiety is ruining my life and I can't get any help :(

:::ʚ♡ɞ:::

Please ping me!

Donator — He/They Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/10/20 19:48:36 )

I hate interviews. It's always the "tell me about a time when..." questions that get me, because I don't always have experiences that fit those situations. And supposedly you can just make one up, but doing anything on the spot is hard for me, and having to practice and memorize stories (especially fake ones) beforehand just makes the whole thing more nerve wracking. That, and "tell me about yourself", cause "myself" doesn't have much to tell. My experience is limited and that's pretty obvious given the fact that I'm here looking for the lowest-level position y'all offer. I'm not even gonna be making a living wage; why do you care where I see myself in 5 years?

I wish interviews just consisted of simple questions about experience and availability. Nothing abstract, nothing irrelevant to the position being applied for, and nothing a new employee is going to have to be trained to learn anyway.

I remember my first interview, as a teenager trying to get a job at a movie theater in the mall. I had no idea what to expect, and they asked me "If you were in charge of this company, what changes would you make?" You're asking this of a 16 year old kid who's never been in charge of anything, or had anything to do with your company besides watching the occasional movie. I think that's pretty ridiculous. I know a lot of these questions have some ulterior motive of figuring out what kind of person you are or how you'd handle x situation, etc etc but honestly if you want someone to be a "perfect fit for the job/company", start by treating your employees better and training them more. You're not gonna get an expert who adores your company walking in the door hoping to scrub toilets for 9$/hr, nor do you need one to do those things.

A simple "Can you legally work here? Are you able to do these tasks? How well do you work with others? What is your availability?" would save us all so much time and trouble. Especially since half these places make you take an hour-long assessment test just to apply in the first place!

/rant

ALWAYS PING ME

Donator — Medical Biller Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/10/21 06:08:11 )
I am terrible with job interviews as well. Hopefully, you'll do ok with this one & get it.
Ensuite, je suis le fantôme de Novembre!

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/10/25 21:17:18 )
    The interview for one of my favorite jobs was pretty bad as an example, haha. I was flippant and didn't have any questions, but I got the job and I was the only employee that stuck around; most lasted only a couple of months at best (one didn't even make it a week). I loved that job.

I usually just do a little research before to familiarize myself before even applying, then just answer whatever questions they have. I never seem to be interested enough to ask questions to the interviewer and I don't like playing those stupid "what if" games.

Voltie — she/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/10/26 15:47:33 )

I always avoid over preparing because I want things to flow naturally. But sometimes there are questions asked that I really don't know the answers to, even if I studied ahead. Like not normal interview questions or something I never knew of. Like my last interview was for a promotion and she asked me 3 questions that would show how well I can handle customer service issues. But they were HARD questions like... I flunked all 3.

But I didn't fail the interview for it (and she helped me learn from those questions). Keep in mind that everyone knows that interviews are uncomfortable for people, and being asked something on the spot can be troubling. They expect nervousness and its OK to pause and think for a second. I will do that sometimes and as I pause, I take a deep breathe while I think, and somehow i always find SOMETHING to say ^^;

I am leaving Voltra
Find my links here

08 22 22

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.