Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Anniversary Party 2021 ┤▒├ Anniversary Event hang out

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/10/8 23:15:44 )

@Wildfire: I think it's fucking stupid that they can get tenure after two measly little years.
        TWO, that's it.
        It should be a five year minimum tbh.
        And even that is being generous in some cases.

It was annoying but hey, I graduated middle and high school, so screw that teacher. lmao

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/10/8 23:20:42 )
@Anarchist Beauty: TWO? I thought it was more than that... but I'm a homeschooler, not a public school teacher... and I absolutely believe that homeschooling my kids was the right decision to make, on a number of levels! Your story is a good example...

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/10/8 23:34:20 )

@Wildfire: Yeah... Two.
        Like do you know how easy it is for a teacher to hide their true colors for two little years?
        Come on, stop being stupid.

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/10/8 23:44:13 )
@Anarchist Beauty: Yeah... two years is like the Honeymoon period. It takes a while to see the real colors of a person... two years doesn't quite hit that mark in my experience.

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/10/8 23:54:26 )

@Wildfire: Right? Like two years ain't nothing.
        Not to mention I think it's really shitty to let a teacher keep their tenure when countless students make complaints against them.
        How is keeping an obviously abusive teacher in a school a good thing?

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/10/9 00:19:32 )
@Anarchist Beauty: It's one of the reasons why more and more people are homeschooling their kids - they're realizing that the school environment is not necessarily a healthy place to send their young impressionables

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/10/9 00:36:08 )

@Wildfire: It's literally not.
        Like at this point the only benefit of school over home is the socialization.

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/10/9 12:47:32 )
@Anarchist Beauty: the idea that homeschooled kids are not socialized is the biggest FARCE out there. There are tons of opportunities for homeschooled kids to meet up, play, learn, and socialize together. They are more, and better socialized that most of the public schooled kids I've seen. The only parts of "socialization" that they tend to miss out on are the bad, abusive ones... which lets them grow up confident and secure in themselves and much better able to deal with that sh*t if they run across it. There are dances, proms, field trips, sports, graduation ceremonies, etc., all geared for homeschooled kids, and because of the flexibility of their schedule, they can often do more of the things they like and want to do (and actually, truly socialize) than their public schooled peers. ....... from my experience, not just with my own kids, but from the homeschool community as a whole.

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/10/9 12:52:30 )
@Kory: That's a good option for some kids. It sounds like it worked out well for you!

Thank you. I have always tried to do what's best for my kids and the family.

As a parent, Kory, it's hard to see your kid struggle with something or deal with things that are uncomfortable or unusual... you want them to be happy, healthy, and whole, and sometimes it's hard for a parent to process things when that doesn't quite happen...

And good morning!

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/10/9 13:06:30 )

I went to public school, and I'm lucky that I came out able to read.

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/10/9 14:08:09 )
Hey AMA.
... Yeah... That was part of the reason we decided to homeschool to begin with...

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/10/9 14:22:22 )
@Another Movie Addict: what's your day looking like today?

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/10/9 19:09:21 )

@Wildfire: Huh, the things you don't know.
        I didn't get to do shit in 8th grade, but maybe my mom was just an even bigger asshole than I thought.
        Makes sense actually.

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/10/9 20:49:36 )
@Anarchist Beauty: Yeah... as you can probably tell, I really don't like that whole "socialization" argument (don't know a homeschooler who does, tbh!)... mostly because it's just plain wrong, and tends to be regurgitated by people who are unfamiliar with, and usually biased against, the homeschooling community. I had to actively try to stay home a couple days a week with my boys so they could do the academics I assigned them! They are well adjusted young adults these days - no more socially inept than anyone who attended public school. ;)

I can't speak to the level of asshole for your mom, but there really are a lot of opportunities for the homeschool kids and it's a better overall environment that encourages, supports and reinforces a positive learning experience instead of the "lowest common denominator" or bullying mentality that seems to be prevalent in many public schools these days.

~shrug~

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/10/9 21:32:49 )

@Wildfire: Could stem from people like me, who's homeschooling experience was exactly as some people assume.
        I didn't get out much when I was homeschooled, I didn't even know there were options like that available to me.
        The interaction I had was limited to the monthly meetings we had with a real teacher from the program and that was it.
        And I didn't see any other kids at that time because it wasn't like a group meeting or anything.
        Plus I also lived in Shit Town, USA and there wasn't a lot of kids around who used the same program I did.

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/10/9 21:51:15 )
@Anarchist Beauty: Yeah... it's really unfortunate that you had that experience, and I'm sure similar experiences are still the case in certain areas, but homeschooling is soooo much more than that limited experience! (requirements, restrictions, etc., are determined by the state, so things can get a little weird depending on where you live/homeschool)

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/10/9 22:27:43 )
@Kory: That's soo good that you had that opportunity with your online classes! <3

I agree with you that some parents just don't know what's good for their kids for one reason or another... and that's unfortunate! I wonder if some parents are still too immature themselves to really take on the role of active and involved parent, or if they even know what that really means (and given our media representations of parenting... and misguided notions like the whole convo on homeschooling stereotypes... it's no wonder!) And honestly, so many people these days are so focused on just living -paying rent/mortgage, etc.- that there's little emotional or psychological energy left to spend on the kids!! It's really sad, imo.

Exactly! You hit the proverbial nail on the head - regardless of how good or attentive a parent you are (or think you are), there are simply times and circumstances that happen... they are beyond a parent's control and it's not their fault they can't micromanage every aspect of their kids' childhood. Besides, if they did micromanage everything, what kind of childhood would that kid have and what kind of person would they grow to become?? Life has random elements - you can not control it... regardless of how much you try or might want to. A good parent (or even just a well-adjusted adult) recognizes that this is the case and does the best they can - they try to provide (or learn) the tools needed to navigate the randomness, and view every experience as an opportunity to learn and grow. You seem to have a really good grasp on this, tbh! <3 But, I'm sorry that your mom seems not to be able to process this very well, and I'm super sorry that you had (from the sound of it) some really bad experiences. Sometimes, there's just no way of anticipating some of that... :(

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/10/9 22:35:12 )
The fact that you were SO planned seems to suggest that your mom had some pretty high expectations and hopes for her only kid... and again, it can be difficult for a parent to see their kid experience things that are "less than perfect", uncomfortable or "unusual" - regardless of what the specifics are.

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/10/9 22:51:36 )

I just got home from fursuiting at a pumpkin festival thing.

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/10/9 22:54:10 )
@Another Movie Addict: LOL - that sounds like a blast! I'm guessing you had a friend or two along too??

┤▒├ Hangout with me! ┤▒├

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.