Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Serious Talk Skin cracked

Donator — Artist Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/09/9 08:41:17 )
Hey guys. :)

For a while now, I’ve been trying to soothe my dry cracked cut skin on my hands. I’ve been going to the pharmacy & GP for hand cream recs. My current ones, sorbolene vitamin e moisturiser lotion layered on with Dermeze ointment (similar to Vaseline) - that combo especially put on at night with disposable gloves on - make a significant difference in smoothing the skin over and reduces my pain in washing my hands with soap. I also try to limit my hot water exposure & use soapless body wash. I know I might have to continue this method for a while, maybe for a very long time. I’m fine with that as it soothes my skin from constant physical pain (in which the physicality also affects upon my constant mental worries and ability to think/act logically, which drawing helps quite a lot with making me feel joy <3), and is a small thing to remember. I was wondering if anyone can help me / can relate?

Artist Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/09/9 09:22:44 )

@Jessamine: I don’t really have any methods or advice but I can definitely relate xP I wash my hands constantly and I get patches on the backs where the skin gets dry and cracks and is painful. I have sensory issues one of which being textures, I hate sticky/slimy things, so finding something I can put on them that doesn’t burn excessively but also doesn’t trigger any sensory things is a real issue xP I’ve also done the glove thing with some neosporin on to help numb the pain lol

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/09/9 15:12:54 )

I have dry skin too but not as bad as you do. I’m sure these new techniques will help but if they don’t you could go back to the dr and see what they think.

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

Donator — He/Him Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/09/9 16:12:27 )
oh yeah I also get breakouts on my hands a lot. The best lotion I've found for it has been Aveeno. Everything else just burns to no end. Even the super duper fancy stuff.

Ping me!

Hangout

Donator — A.I. Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/09/9 18:32:45 )
// AI-COM MNRVA : activate MIDNIGHT EXIGENT(aurora knives)

Oooof I've never had it so bad that it warranted a doctor visit, but definitely wash my hands enough at work / throughout the day that I can relate to an extent.

Unscented Eucerin and O'Keefe's Working Hands are a little more expensive, but a little goes a long way and both are some of the best / most recommended products on the market.

If you haven't tried it already, I recommend Bag Balm! It's similar to Vaseline but imho smells nicer.

And, no joke, something like olive oil or coconut oil might help. Rub a heavy dose into your worst spots, put some gloves on, and let it sit for a while.

Hopefully your skin calms down soon! It's a really annoying kind of pain, and makes literally everything more difficult than it needs to be. (Not only that, but it's almost impossible to get it to heal once it's started since our hands are our tools!)

// AI-COM : return // end of line
[ often multitasking unsuccessfully ] | [ I may take a while to respond, but haven't forgotten you! ♥ ]
qu'est-ce que tu vas chercher?

Voltie — She/Her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/09/10 01:18:55 )

Please ping!! I am a busy mom and tend to get lost~

I have severe eczema and skin allergies. Only thing I found lotion-wise that helps is Angel of Mine creamy baby oil that I can get at dollar tree.
And the only soap I've found I can use is ivory. (Purex for laundry) So I can't use perfumes or makeup and have to be extra careful for what I use.
I've also noticed some foods can make a difference in how severe the outbreak is. Like the more gluten I eat, the worse my eczema is so check for food allergies if you haven't.

Only tip I can give you-
If you have a blender, grind up some oatmeal. Toss the oatmeal some in a sock/coffee filter, tie the top closed, and soak it in some very hot water until it cools completely; then soak your hands in it. (works get for baths too) You can also make a "mask" using coconut oil and aloe mixed with the oatmeal soak. You can also add green tea to it as it'll help with redness and soothe the skin. (I suggest green powder cause it's faster) I also suggest checking out some moisturizing gloves! There's plain cotton(mild outbreaks), aloe-infused, or gel (severe).

Please ping!! I'm a busy mom and tend to get lost~

^^Page prizes = FREE Sketch!!
It's only forever~ It's not long at all...

Donator — Artist Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/09/10 08:14:49 )
Thanks for the tips, guys! <3 I’ll look into them~

Yeah, I might go back to the doctor but in person again. When people see my hands up close, they are shocked how terrible it is; trying to explain over phone can’t portray the severity. Maybe a high quality photo of my hands would help haha ๐Ÿ˜‚

My hands look and feel like a scaly reptile ; I have to keep myself from screaming especially when soap touches it when washing hands mainly when cream hasn’t been recently applied :D So soap is def one of the key issues but I have to use when washing hands! XD And I’ve been using a shower timer limit so I lessen my hot water exposure ๐Ÿšฟ

Using gloves at night to keep the skin cream moisture in is fine, as well as pulling it off one or more times when needing to go to toilet & wash hands. And then re-applying cream & putting gloves back on. But even with gloves on, the cream & tap water also go on my top clothes, and like, even when I wash it, I then have to apply cream again the next night. And then my clothes smell terrible again ๐Ÿ˜“

Donator — Artist Posted 6 months ago ( 2023/10/25 04:26:28 )
I simply use Sorborlene to soothe my dry hands now. I don’t go to the doctor anymore. For the shower, I used to lather QV wash on my body, and wash my underwear with dish soap, yet sometimes find QV a bit too watery, so I also use hand dish soap. ๐Ÿงผ I don’t time myself in the shower any longer, yet felt I had to when washing my hair which is so long now, it nearly reaches the ground like midnight peridot xD I do not want to cut my hair. My mum says i am a broom to sweep floor with, coming at me with insect spray when I just want to sleep.
‘god, tell us the reason youth is wasted on the young. I thought I saw you out there crying, woah-oh. I saw a lion kiss a deer, we are all lost stars trying to light up the dark.’ ~ Jungkook. / diary. text. visual. comm.

Donator — She/Her Posted 6 months ago ( 2023/10/25 04:41:14 )
@Jessamine: my hands only get this way as it gets cooler out and into the more wintery months, I do have eczema, there are some lotions I've tried that help, some that haven't. Bodybutters do help also that is if you don't like using lotions. But I do have some salves that work great as well. Just know this you cant always use warm/hot water it opens up our skin, cold water closes our skin but its not always good to use super cold water.
If you can’t say something nice, Don’t say anything at all!

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.