Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Role Playing Boss Babe

Voltie — The Dude Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/08/11 05:54:26 )
Forgive, O Lord,
my little jokes on thee...

Dusk had fallen in the city, and due to worsening weather conditions, most people were staying inside. Joggers, runners, and walkers had cut their exercise routines short, and drivers were minimising their time on the road. It had been a clear day, but as soon as the sun had started to set, storm clouds had rolled in, and thunder could be heard in the distance. It was a flash storm, and the weather reports were saying it had the capabilities to be the worst one the entire province had seen the entire year thus far. They even went so far as to issue flood warnings near rivers and low-laying roads, if the predicted rainfall was even somewhat accurate.

Sadly, this meant that what was happening on a desolate bridge right now had happened at the absolute worst time for one of them. One was a male, one was a female, and the former was clearly assaulting the latter... in a horrid way.

She was Desiree McCormick, a well-known and loved children's performer, famous for her child-friendly shows, her awe-inspiring levitation magic, which she secretly accomplished with her wind mana, and her relationship with the mind-bending illusionist, Jaden Sherwood. Unbeknownst to many, she was also in possession of a rare and powerful Hunter's gift, the Eye of Judgement, now known as the Discerning Eye. Her mother and brother had held a violent grudge on her for a very early age, and her father had left her life a while ago, in an effort to try and protect her from himself, also a holder of the Eye, and distance herself from the wife and son he had grown to detest. And her assailant was none other than her brother, surviving their mother, who had been killed years ago... and he seemed determined that this would be their final stand.

Her phone and specially-made hearing aids (which looked like massive over-the-ear headphones, and had many functions that connected with her phone), had both been stolen from her, and they had been knocked over the side of the bridge. And with how high up they were, Desiree was sure that they two were smashed beyond repair, and she would need new ones from her technologically-gifted friend... assuming she'd survived.

Her brother had attempted to ambush her, but she had heard him at the last minute. He had used his special crystal dagger, a rare Mana Hunter relic, and had managed to scratch her with it. While it hadn't managed to cut off her mana completely, she was having difficulty concentrating in using it. Normally she would have used her mana to teleport away, but he was not giving her the chance. The two stood near one of the edges of the bridge, Deryck looking sharply into her eyes with his own. In the past, he'd looked much like a proper young man... well-kept short jet-black hair, and average clothing... jeans, tee-shirt, nothing special. Now his hair was messy and unkempt, down to his shoulders, and dirty. His clothing was old and worn, torn in places, and his eyes were that of a crazed man. Not one that would ramble to himself harmlessly, but those of one that would stop at nothing once his mind was set on something... and it was something dark.

"THIS IS IT!" he yelled to Desiree, as the rain started to fall on and around them, quickly puddling at their feet. "You and me! Right here! Right now!" he continued, gripping the dagger in his hand. The two had been fighting and struggling for close to 25 minutes... and it had been intense and violent. He was sporting cuts and slashes from Desiree's wind, when she managed to use her mana to defend herself, but he didn't seem to care he was bleeding.

"Only ONE of us is walking away from this bridge!" he vowed. "Either way, THIS! ENDS! NOW!" he hollered.

...and I'll forgive thy
great big one on me.

Donator — Female Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/08/11 06:04:12 )

| ᴘʟᴇᴀꜱᴇ ᴍᴀᴋᴇ ꜱᴜʀᴇ ᴛᴏ ᴀʟᴡᴀʏꜱ ᴘɪɴɢ ᴍᴇ!
The strawberry blonde, Desiree, was standing back a bit from him. She could barely breathe, was most certainly bruised to the point of probably counting as internal bleeding, and had a few little nicks and cuts from their bit so far.

She just wanted to run, to get away from him.

It's what she'd always done, after all. However, sadly, she realised that she couldn't this time.

He refused to let her leave, let her survive. She wasn't ready to fight him to thee deaht, but she wasn't stupid. If she didn't work to survive, to be the one standing at the end of this... she'd be dead. Probably on the rocks below, if not buried beneath them.

And he'd likely get away with it Scot free too. Her mother and brother were crafty, more than she cared to admit.

"Deryck... it doesn't have to end like this." She said, her voice quiet over the storm that raged above.

"Let me help you. I can help you get a proper life, friends... a family of your own." She knew he likely wouldn't listen if he could hear her, but she didn't dare not try. As much as she was, and had been, ready to be the only one standing between the two of them for the past few years, that at not point meant that that's what she wanted.

Voltie — The Dude Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/08/11 06:24:20 )
Forgive, O Lord,

Her brother, Deryck, growled when she said what she did, made her offer, and spat at her, his saliva more blood than anything else. He was injured as well, and that proved his injuries were more than just superficial. But he did not seem to care at all. He then gripped his dagger more tightly, and she could see him gnashing his teeth as he continued to look her over.

"Shut up!" he yelled. "I'll have a proper life when YOU'RE gone!" he told her. "My 'proper life' was supposed to be that of a Mana Hunter, using my own eye of justice to find the freaks in this world and destroy them!" he declared. "My life was to be a solo one! One that made the world a better place by getting rid of those like YOU!" he spat further. "And I would return home to mother, who would dote on me and call me the hero I was..." he went on, almost seeming to be in a dream world now... before he snapped a glare at her again.

"Don't you DARE presume to try and HELP me! You self-righteous hypocritical COW!" he shouted further. "Mother is DEAD! I can no longer come home to her where I will be praised for my efforts, and scolded for my failures!" he went on.

"I have NOTHING now! And it's all because of YOU!" he ranted further.

"But once you are gone... I WILL HAVE EVERYTHING!" he shouted as loud as he could, before he started to run right towards her, aiming to run her through with his dagger.

...and I'll forgive thy
great big one on me.

Donator — Female Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/08/11 06:32:10 )

Desiree didn't say anything, dodged his incoming attack with less ease than earlier.It really wasn't hard to tell, at all, that if this kept up, one of them truly would end up dead The question, really, was who. Nothing more.

"I don't want to fight you Derycj... we're family." She said quietly, both physical and emotional pain in her voice.

"I just... " She started, before he slashed at her again, as she hadn't gone far.

"Deryck! Please! Just stop! Mother corrupted you!" She bit her lip before dodging another attack.

"You.... You're a mage too!" She exclaimed suddenly, hoping that it would help. Maybe, just maybe, he'd listen to her in that instance....

Voltie — The Dude Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/08/11 06:51:42 )
Forgive, O Lord,

Deryck seemed to be stunned when she said that. His eyes were shaking slightly, as what she said seemed to sink into his mind. He looked like he was now a bit lost in his own world, questioning his reality and worldview... lost and scared. But just as she took a small step towards him, he held the blade out towards her, point first, and almost got her in the chest.

"SHUT UP!" he yelled. "STOP IT!" he shouted, taking a few steps back.

"Stop lying!" he told her. "I am NOT a freak like you! I am a Mana Hunter! I am an avenger! I am normal!" he cried out, tears starting to flow from his eyes... not that it was easy to see, given the heavy rain. "Mother always had the best of intentions for me! She had my life planned out! YOU are the one that's corrupted! You're dark! You're evil!" he continued.

"You'll say ANYTHING to save your own skin!" he then cried out in sheer anger, as he continued to take small steps back, not seeming to realise just how close he was to the edge of the bridge.

"So just SHUT! U-" he started to say further, before his foot slipped off the edge, and the wet concrete sidewalk gave him no purchase of which to use to grip with his other foot.

With a cry and an exclamation of shock and horror, he fell off the side of the bridge, but managed to grasp at it with his free hand, dangling precariously over the rushing and rising torrents of the river below, though sharp and pointed stones still seemed to be jutting up from the violent waters.

...and I'll forgive thy
great big one on me.

Donator — Female Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/08/11 06:56:53 )

Desiree was quick =. Despite her pain, despite everything, she ran to her brother and held fast to the slick railing as she dropped to her knees.

"Deryck!" She called.

"Grab hold, Please! Let me help you!" She added, tears to her voice.

"Or... " She paused, biting her lip for a moment.

"Let me die instead!" She knew that he wasn't a good sort, but he was family.

She didn't care, she was one that would die for family. Even after he'd put her through the ringer so many times over th eyears... she was willing to give up her life just to see him survive. If that's what it would take for him to live a life, then she'd do it.

Voltie — The Dude Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/08/11 07:24:23 )
Forgive, O Lord,

Deryck was silent for a moment, as he heard what she said, and saw she had dropped to her knees. He saw that she was offering up her life so that he could live... and he wouldn't lie... the thought sickened him.

"...you..." he growled.

"You listen here. And you listen good." he said to her, though she could only tell from his lips what he said. "Heh... get it?" he then asked. "LISTEN!? Because you're DEAF!?" he yelled at her.

"Read my damn lips." he then said. "...you WILL get what's coming to you. On this, I vow." he told her with a threatening tone in his voice, not that she heard it, but venom in his eyes.

Then, before she could say anything, he quickly flicked his other wrist, and the dagger flew towards her, sticking into her side.

Which was when he let go of the bridge, plummeting to the depths before.

Laughing maniacally as he did so.

...and I'll forgive thy
great big one on me.

Donator — Female Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/08/11 07:37:07 )

Desiree, of course, let out a cry of paain, but did try and save her brother. She tried to use her mana, but nothing happened. The dagger being stuck within in her, easily five inches deep and very nearly clean through to the other side. She didn't are though, she tried to help.

With the dagger though, however, her mana was completely kaput. There was no way she could get it to work, and unfortunately, that dagger would make it that she couldn't access her mana for a few hours. Along with that, her eye was blinded, due to the way the dagger worked.

She still tried to save him though.

As he fell, she just let out a sob, a mix of the pain from her torso, and the pain of being involved in her brothers death. Before thinking about it though, she reached down and tore the blade out, barely even feeling it at this point, before getting to her feet. It was a fight, it wasn't easy at all.

".... I wish I could contact you, Gregory." She said quietly, before taking her sweater off, leaving just her tank top underneath, and using it to try and stem the blood flow as sshe started to walk.

Her steps were... haggard, slow, and she was very near to collapsing with almost every step. However, she kept going, knowing that in this weather, there'd be no chance of survival if she was to stay there.

Voltie — The Dude Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/08/11 08:00:37 )
Forgive, O Lord,

She made it off the bridge, and had been walking for 30 seconds afterwards, barely making it a block or so, when she saw someone. Someone in the distance. They were a bit obscured by the rain, but they were a big person. And they will running right towards her. In fact, it seemed like they were purposefully making their way specifically towards her.

Before she could really formulate any idea as to what to do here, they came into view as they got closer and closer... it was Zeke. And he looked VERY worried. That's when she recalled that Zeke had previously been her guardian angel, and although he had been taken off her case, and she removed as his charge, they still had a connection. And he would get signals when she was in real danger. In this case, he'd received an 'emergency alert' when her mana had been cut off completely.

"DESIREE!" he shouted, but he could see that she did not have her headphones on.

"Oh my God, what happened!?" he asked her when he was close enough... and then saw her wounds.

"Deryck..." he growled, but then shook his head.

"Desiree, we need to get you medical attention!" he told her.

...and I'll forgive thy
great big one on me.

Donator — Female Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/08/11 08:07:55 )

Desiree didn't say anything, but when he neared and grasped her shoulders, ready to support her if need be, she collapsed. She was barely awake, but she was.

"Th... th.... th-thanks.." She barely managed to get out as he scooped her up into his arms.

"D-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d---" She tried to get out anything more, but was stuck on his name. The fact that she was in such a sorry shape made her stutter come back full force.

"He... " She started, before he heard a loud 'chink'. When he looked down, he saw the crystal dagger, the hunter dagger, sitting on the pavement, where she'd dropped it.

She just didn't have the strength to hodl it anymore.

Voltie — The Dude Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/08/11 08:28:22 )
Forgive, O Lord,

"...." Zeke was silent as he saw the dagger. He knew that weapon well. She'd been wounded by it many times in the past, and it was proof that it had been Deryck that had brought her to this sorry state. His mind was racing right now, but he knew she needed help. She was gravely injured, and her mana was inaccessible by her right now. The main thing was that she needed medical help, and she needed it NOW.

But where? OLA? The Unit? Somewhere else? They were in Winnipeg, Manitoba right now... and if she were put into the system anywhere else, surely suspicion would be raised? What should he do?

In the end, he chose her own home. He would call Rene Calder when he got there, and he would decide from there. So, he looked at the crystal dagger on the ground, growled at it, and then decided that it couldn't be left here. So he wrapped his left hand in his shirt, while still holding Desiree, and picked it up as best he could. Then the two of them disappeared from where they were, and appeared in Desiree and Jaden's suite, where he saw they were alone. Jaden was probably out doing a show, or with Kalin or something.

Desiree looked around, as she realised where she was, as Zeke dropped the dagger to the floor, and laid her down on the couch.

"Wall ph-phone." she said. "Three. R-R-R-R-R-R-R-R..." she stuttered further, before looking frustrated. "Fish." she said, conveying to him that Rene was number 3 on the speed dial.

Zeke nodded and rushed to the phone, making the call and telling Rene what had happened. After he was told that the doctor would be there in less than a minute, he hung up, turned on the main light of the room, rushed back to Desiree, and started to pulse his mana into her, in an effort to try and heal her a little before Rene got there.

"You'll be okay, Desiree." he told her. "Dr. Calder will be here in less than a minute, he promised." he said further.

...and I'll forgive thy
great big one on me.

Donator — Female Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/08/11 12:38:37 )

Desiree didn't say anything for a few seconds before nodding weakly. She didn't say anything, however. There was no way she could for the moment. As it stood, all she could do was wait for Rene's arrival and hope that she didn't die before then.

.... Dammit, Deryck. She thought, wishing that she hadn't literally just watched her brother fall to his death. Sure, she hadn't liked him, at all, but he was still family. She didn't want to see him die.

However, that was soething she had absolutely no control over, obviously. It pained her though, more than she had thought it would.

Voltie — The Dude Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/08/11 21:50:46 )
Forgive, O Lord,

Zeke didn't say anything more, and just continued to use his mana to try and heal her. He knew he couldn't do it completely... archangel mana wasn't necessarily meant to heal, and he was a nephilim. In the end, all he could really manage to do would be to heal up some of the smaller cuts she has sustained, dial back some of her internal bleeding, and make it to the grievous wound she received from the dagger wasn't as bad. It wasn't a whole lot, but it was something. He kept it up until Rene appeared in the suite, and raced over towards them.

"Been using your mana to try and stabilise her?" the lantha asked.

"Yeah." Zeke replied.

"Good." Rene responded. "Means it'll make my job go a lot smoother." he told him. "Thanks. I'll take it from here and make sure she recovers fully from this." he said further.

Zeke merely nodded and stepped away from Desiree, allowing Rene to examine her and take stock of the situation. The nephilim then lightly kicked the crystal dagger away from Rene and Desiree, towards the kitchen. Once it was a suitable distance away, he found an old dish towel that looked like it was ready to be replaced, and grabbed it. He picked the weapon up with it, wrapping it completely, and setting it down on the counter.

"That will need to be given to either the Triad or the Council...' he thought, before looking at the wall phone again. When he'd called Rene, he'd noticed that there were other speed-dial labels on the phone, one of them being for Leo. He pondered something again, before going to it and pressing the button that would dial Leo's number. Desiree's headphones and phone had been missing, so this was something Leo needed to know.

As he did this, Rene continued to do emergency tending to Desiree, cursing lightly at the one he knew had inflicted the damage to her.

"I think you'll be all right." he said to her, making sure she could read his lips, if she had the capacity to focus on that. "Zeke managed to lay down solid groundwork, and despite the heavy injuries you seem to have sustained, I'm confident I can make it so you'll have a full and complete recovery." he assured her further.

...and I'll forgive thy
great big one on me.

Donator — Female Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/08/11 21:57:54 )

Desiree didn't say anything, but she did nod. Sure, she was starting to feel a bit better, she still was not feeling good. That was something that couldn't be denied.

If anything, she felt horrible, but not at deaths door any longer. She realised that it was because of Zeke and his mana. She'd have to find some way to thank him for that,but later. After she wasn't going to potentially bleed out if untreated.

"I..." She started, the pain still in her voice, but not as bad as Zeke heard.

"I need to g-get back." She finally managed to get out after a few more seconds.

Voltie — The Dude Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/08/11 22:16:10 )
Forgive, O Lord,

Rene paused for a moment as Desiree said what she did. He almost lost focus on what he was doing, but such statements from those he treated weren't altogether uncommon. He'd been called to do 'stealth treatment' a lot for his friend circle, and by this point, he was all but numb to it. Almost. Statements like that would still catch him off guard if uttered by the right/wrong person.

"Get back?" he asked. "Correct me if I'm wrong, but when the nephilim called me, he said that he had to find you in Winnipeg, yeah?" he asked. "I DID hear that right... right?" he asked further.

Desiree merely nodded in response.

"I'm not going to ask why you were in Winnipeg in the first place." Rene said. "Really, that is none of my business." he continued. "However, as your doctor, I feel I am entitled to know the reasons why you need to get back, ASAP, assumingly." he went on. "You just suffered a very serious assault, and with intent to murder, given that it was Deryck." he told her. "Don't get me wrong, I have to tools and medication to get you back on your feet, quite literally, in the next hour or so, but after what you've gone through, bed-rest and dedicated recuperation time is HIGHLY recommended." he then reasoned.

"So tell me... WHY do you need to get back?" he asked her.

"I'm not saying 'no'. Not yet, anyway." he then stressed. "Just give me a good enough reason, and I'll make sure you can get back to Winnipeg as quick as I can make it possible." he finished.

...and I'll forgive thy
great big one on me.

Donator — Female Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/08/12 01:40:34 )

Desiree was silent for a moment, knowing he wouldn't like what she was about to say. However, she also didn't cre. She knew what had happened, and she knew that there would likely be an investigation regarding her brothers demise. There were cameras on that brudge after all due to the prevalence of those who liked to jump off of it.

"... he's dead." She told him quietly, he voice rather low. There was emotion there, but at this point it was hard to tell what the main reason was. He'd given her a fair bit for pain, so it couldn't be a physical thing, could it?

"... I can't skip town"

Voltie — The Dude Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/08/12 02:05:01 )
Forgive, O Lord,

"..." Rene wasn't sure what to say at that moment. A wave of emotions rushed through his mind, and a dozen responses came to the tip of his tongue, but he had to be careful here. Desiree was still physically hurt, yes, but he had NO idea how she was doing, emotionally. The wrong thing could really trigger some bad reactions, so he had to tread carefully.

"...I see." he then said. "I'm not going to lie, the fact that he's gone? Not going to shed any tears for him." he told her bluntly. "However... you are correct." he admitted.

"You outright skipping town would be very bad. It'd shine a poor light on you, to understate it." he reasoned, continuing his work.

"That being said, because this will fall under Council and Triad law, you won't have to hide where you got medical attention." he then said further. "You CAN tell the truth, and say you were brought here, healed up, and then brought back." he went on. "And records WILL be given so that the general public and police force will be satisfied as well." he added.

"...but... all right. I said to give me a good enough reason, and you gave it to me." he admitted, before something came to mind.

"...and those cameras will need to be looked at." he realised and vocalised. "I'm willing to bet that, even if there's no audio, there's video footage of you using mana." he said further. "...question is, is it obvious enough, or should we really just play it safe, regardless...?" he wondered.

...and I'll forgive thy
great big one on me.

Donator — Female Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/08/12 02:08:00 )

Desiree shook her head lightly.

"No." She told him.

"I could barely use it. He locked it down with the dagger." She added, her voice honest, sincere.

"And none of what I could actually do was even.... really... anything. The best was something was misdirected." That much was true, and she knew it. Even if itw as caught on camera, it was something that was easily explained away.

"But.. he fell to his death."

Voltie — The Dude Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/08/12 02:52:02 )
Forgive, O Lord,

"Hm. I see." Rene responded quietly. "Well... I suppose that DOES simplify things a little..." he went on, as he continued to work, and Zeke returned to where they were.

"Do you mind if I speak to Desiree while you work?" he asked.

"Just so long as you don't get in my way." Rene replied.

Zeke nodded and stood in such a way that Desiree could see him clearly, and he didn't get in Rene's line of sight, or cast a shadow or anything. He looked at her worriedly, and then sighed.

"I called Leo." he told her. "Explained the situation. He said he was going to go to the bottom of the bridge and gather all the tech remnants he could." he informed her further. "However, he's already 100% sure that you're going to need a new pair of headphones built from the ground up, and a new phone to pair with them." he continued.

"Said he'd take care of both of those, though." he added.

"Of course." Rene sighed.

"Whenever Deryck goes after Desiree, her headphones are usually the first victims." he commented. "Though it seems like he REALLY wanted this to be his last stand, no matter what happened." he added.

...and I'll forgive thy
great big one on me.
"There is no shame in deterrence. Having a weapon is very different from actually using it." - Ghandi

Donator — Female Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/08/12 03:02:54 )

"I... I tried to save him." Desiree Said after a couple of seconds.

"I tried to help, to get him to give up this quest..." She continued, her voice quiet.

"I wanted to help him, I want him in my life, I want my fucking brother back." There was definite anger there, and the question was why. She was particularly secretive of her life before she ran, and that meant that neither of them knew what she did, knew that Deryck had originally been protective, sweet, maybe a little overbearing, but he wanted to take care of her. She hadn't ven told Jaden. The only ones who would know, that she knew would know, were Gregory and MAdison.

She had no idea on Zeke, and was reasonably certain she hadn't told Kalin and Rene.

"I ...I offered to help, to give him a life away from the hell he went through with mother..." Her voice tailed lightly, getting quierr as she spoke.

"But I... I never wanted...." She fell silent, looking away, out the window specifically, at the clear sky. It wasn't storming there,.

My Youtube. I upload Tuesdays

Ping me. always
ALWAYS looking for art of my Characters
If you do art, PM me

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.