Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Hangouts ┤▒├ Wildfire's World ┤▒├ All welcome, all the time - come say Hi!

Voltie Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/03/29 20:23:24 )
@CooperationIsKey: oh that's fun. It has been a while since I've been to a local carnival like that. :3 Yeah, the fish in colored water is a little strange... but it sounds like you enjoyed yourself.

I'm doing ok, thanks.

Things have been weirdly and chaotically busy around here lately, but productive overall... even if it's not the type of productive that I was hoping for or expecting, and the tasks have been things other than what I necessarily had planned. Last weekend was the open beta for the latest release of the one video game I play, so I did a deep dive in to that. Yesterday, I ran all over the place trying to get my mom a passport. Today, I completely pulled my dresser apart and sorted clothes (and generated a large pile of laundry that I now need to do). What I didn't do was work on some art projects I want to do or get some semblance of a portfolio together to pursue a lead on getting my stuff displayed at a local venue. Also what I didn't do was go get food for the family, or deal with a couple of piles of miscellaneous things that need to have decisions made about them (toss/donate/keep), or deal with my garden (which desperately needs some attention), and I didn't make it to the post office to send a package to my son. But the winter clothes (such as they are) are now stored away again, the palm trees in the front yard have had their "hair cut" for the next few months, and my car is no longer completely covered in pollen (woohoo! It got washed!! XD) ... it has been a weird few days (actually my last couple of weeks have been kind of like that^^)

And now, I'm starting to flip out about preparing for MegaCon this weekend in Orlando and what to bring/pack, since my friend is dragging me there to keep her company while her teens and their friends do whatever teen girls do at things like that. XD

Donator — She/her Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/03/29 20:53:33 )

@Wildfire: Hey! I feel like it's been a while since we chatted. I've been busy with work. I think I told you that I got a new job in Jan. I'm finally done with the training and I feel like I understand almost everything at the job. It was a freaking lot to learn though lol.
How have you been? It's nice here now that it's spring but I heard it's already hot in FL. It's a bit early for 80's but I saw it's been that almost every day already.

Donator Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/03/30 16:57:45 )
@Wildfire: im so sick of snow today. Lol! On the plus side it's warmer outside now. A whole 25-30*f.
We had some snow-melting days this week and then it snowed all night again.
Wildlife is a little more common to see now, which means spring is ... Hopefully close.

Donator — whatever Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/03/30 18:36:05 )

@Wildfire: Goodness, you have been busy! Congrats on getting house stuff done; I actually have gotten plant maintenance done but I still have some to go. I'm working on cleaning up my bedroom as well but it's kinda slow going since I don't have much in the way of storage space. That sounds neat about getting your art displayed; hope you're able to do that! The passport thing sounds like a headache--but what isn't when it comes to the government, right? :P

Something I really gotta get on the ball with is building the terrarium for my dwarf white isopods. They've been stuck in a very small container for far too long now. Plus the terrarium will be nicer to look at.

I kinda wanna work on cutting the foam for that but I probably need to do it in the kitchen so foam bits don't blow all over the yard, but I think my roommate is trying to take a nap in the adjoining living room and the noise would probably make her nuts. 🤔

Please ping me!

Voltie Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/03/31 11:33:30 )
@Totalanimefan: Hey Total! Yeah, it does seem like it has been a while. Everyone has been so busy lately! But yeah, you did tell me about your new job. It sounds like it's keeping you busy, but like it's going well. That's a good thing!

Yeah, it has hit the 85° mark a few times already, but it is mostly staying around the 75° range most of the time around here. I can't complain. ;) Are you still dealing with snow? It should be headed out about now, but this has been a long tough winter for those of you who regularly get snow...

@Koah: lol... oooOOOoooh! That's sooOOOooo warm!!! XD (*snickers slightly*... It was ~75° here yesterday & 77° or so the day before that). XD LOL. All relentless teasing about the temperature aside, I understand, and I do sympathize. You've gotten blasted with snow this year and I'd be surprised if you weren't sick of it by now. Hopefully Spring is about to... errr... spring! Like you say, seeing the wildlife start making appearances again is a good sign of that happening. Good luck. If I could bottle you some sunshine and warmer (snow-free) temperatures, I would. :3

Voltie Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/03/31 11:48:32 )
@CooperationIsKey: Thanks. Some of the house stuff is done. There's plenty more to get done. Right now it's in that "I'm working on it, so it's a complete mess and there are piles of 'thoughts' just about everywhere". It's making me sorta crazy tbh, but it's a productive chaos... or at least that's what I'm telling myself. :3 XD But, one step at a time, right?

What is it about Florida houses and not having any actual closets or storage?? We have one small closet in each bedroom (one of which is more like a mostly-unuseable broom closet it's so small and oddly shaped!), a small, shallow closet by the bathroom for towels and stuff, and what's essentially a couple of shelves hidden behind a door that's acting as a pantry in the kitchen... for the entire house. /eyeroll/ So, it's not just you and I completely get what you're going through! It's hard to be organized when there's nowhere to PUT stuff!! (thus the current chaos and "piles of thoughts" taking over my house ATM). I wish you the best of luck. It will feel soooooo good when you get things sorted and organized the way you want! <3

It sounds like you have a couple projects going on that are keeping you busy! I hope the little critters like their new home once you get it set up for them!!

Donator Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/03/31 17:19:36 )
@Wildfire: i wish people could bottle sunshine. Lol
Then when i open it, it just blasts me in the face. And I go 'ahhhh sweet sweet sunshine'

We have those air in a can things here because a lot of tourists get altitude sickness from sea-level to mountain levels. The canned air- i guess, helps?-shrugs-

Donator Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/04/1 11:09:35 )
Wonderful April to everyone. It's a Topsy-Turvy Day.

@Wildfire: Happy to hear it wasn't anything to do with the weather. Electronics will always act up when you least want them to. It's finally the weekend and I can take time off, it seems you have kept yourself very busy. Conventions it's always a good idea to bring an empty reusable water bottle (usually security will ask you to empty it before bringing it in for safety purposes), medication (prescription and non-prescription for any headaches that may appear along the way along with allergy medication is helpful), and snack bars. It's always best to travel light for those sorts of events.

@Koah: Busy and warmer weather days are ahead no doubt, it started to get warm here and then we got snow a few days in a row. It's always when you least expect it. *_* Happy birthday to your daughter. <3 Wonderful to hear you are recovering well from dental work. n_n

@CooperationIsKey: Those snacks sound great and very fitting for a carnival. It's not too difficult to get coloured glass fish bowls, or, even colour the outside of the bowl with water-based markers. I feel bad for the kids who will bring home a fish for it to die shortly after too. Poor fish. T_T

@Totalanimefan: Nice to see an update of you saying it was a lot of work to learn and that you are adjusting as well as adapting well. I hope you're still enjoying it?

Donator — She/her Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/04/2 02:31:27 )

@Wildfire: It's already peak bloom for the cherry blossoms here! We had a very mild winter after the historic cold during Christmas.
Work is going well.

Donator — She/her Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/04/2 16:28:58 )

@Lotus: Thanks! It's nice to talk to you too. The new job has kept me soo busy. This month I'm going to be busy because there are a lot on spring events on the weekends. I'm going to a cherry blossom event today.
How have you been? I really liked your month/year in review threads. It was nice to see what you were up to and then me getting to also post about my month.

Donator Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/04/3 16:20:50 )
@Totalanimefan: It’s good to hear that is something you were really hoping for and getting exactly what you wanted seems to have worked out.

Cherry blossoms are always beautiful and I hope the event went well? I’ve been taking time to appreciate the flowers that are popping up, some are taking a bit longer than others which is nice to see them finally bloom.

I have been very well thank you! Focused on making bigger, more sustainable, and long term goals for myself has been a little challenging, but, nothing I haven’t done before, getting back into it has me feeling inspired in my work as well.

I’m so glad to hear that the thread I made helped you visit over things you achieve or pursue. It’s easy to get so caught up to lose sight of how you feel or what could bring you joy. n_n

Donator — She/her Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/04/3 21:12:55 )

@Lotus: Thank you!
The event was fun. It was nice to be out in the beautiful weather. There was a wind event this weekend that stripped the trees of their blossoms. We will have to wait for a different kind of cherry blossom to see the blooms again. There is one that blooms in mid-late April.

I'm glad that you are doing well!! <3 It's always important to reflect on the things you have done.

Voltie Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/04/4 11:50:24 )
@Koah: bottled sunshine would be pretty awesome, wouldn't it?
Yeah, I can kinda see why the canned air would help certain, more susceptible people with the altitude changes... especially if you're coming from sea level (like FL or New Orleans).

@Lotus: thanks for the Con tips - they're in line with what I usually do when I attend one. This one wasn't particular about bringing in water or snacks, fortunately. I'm sure they probably would have stopped an entire cooler of stuff coming in, but they didn't mind a water bottle and a couple little things to snack on.

@Totalanimefan: Aaaaah yes, the cherry blossoms! They are really pretty - I"m sure you're enjoying them :3 I'm happy to hear that the job is going well for you too :3

Voltie Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/04/4 12:33:36 )
....................... SO! ........ I have been busy and offline more than usual lately.

MegaCon was... mega. It was HUGE, and Loud, and chaotic, and because of the teenagers and their whiny wants and schedules at the Con (the ones I was dragged along to help chaperone), I didn't really get to do anything fun, tbh, but it was still interesting. I didn't get to go to any of the panels or whatever; didn't see any celebrities; didn't get any merch (nothing in particular jumped out at me - especially nothing I was interested in carrying around and/or taking home).

There were a number of furries roaming around, and a good number of people cosplaying various characters: Naruto, Attack on Titan, My Hero Academia, Batman/Robin and the Joker (including an old-school version of the Joker from the 80s Batman movie), several Spidermen, Mario & Luigi (actually a few of them!), hobbits, elves, and a wizard or two.

There was some kind of mushroom person on stilts, there was a full-sized, functional Dalek, a number of Doctor Who (various incarnations - we saw one cosplay of one of the early-early Doctors (maybe the 3rd?) and a David Tennant Doctor that was really good), Spy Family (the most adorable (child cosplaying) Anya sat next to me at lunch one day), Demon Slayer cosplays were pretty much everywhere. HALO made an appearance, there was at least one cosplay of Fairytale that I saw, SHIELD and Thor (especially Fat Thor was popular) were wandering around...

There were a lot of cosplays of One Piece, several Jedis, a few Stormtroopers (and variations), Emperor Palpatine, a couple of Star Trek uniforms (not so many of them, surprisingly enough, especially since there was a Star Trek photo opportunity booth, celebrities from newer shows, and the fact that Star Trek started the whole Con thing). There was even a Superman, and a Roger Rabbit & Jessica, and a cosplay of The Way of the Househusband that I was surprised to see. Several people were wearing Maid uniforms and the Maid Cafes at the Con were sold out, and there were several "School Uniforms" that may or may not have been show specific (if so, I didn't make the connection(s)) ........ just soooo much!

... and now, I'm tired, but need to start thinking about what to cook for Easter and getting the house ready for whomever might come by and hang out with us this weekend (and because of the Con, the house is a bit messier than usual. Ugh.)

What is going on with you guys??

Donator — She/her Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/04/5 03:12:01 )

@Wildfire: thanks. They are gone early this year because of a bad wind storm.
I hope overall the con was fun for you. They always are. I think also Aisu went to that one? I’ve been to that con in the past but it was like in 2010.

Donator Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/04/5 17:11:09 )
@Totalanimefan: Thank you so much. <3 Fantastic to hear that it was fun with beautiful weather.

@Wildfire: That's great to hear that the convention allows in a water bottle along with some snacks, I notice more conventions and events are allowing snacks along with water for those who have hidden or even visible disabilities. (Sorry to hear the house became a mess again after getting it finally cleaned up to how you like it).

What's going on for me is work and more work. Busy schedules and routines, the usual. Thankfully I can figure out my own work schedule and see what I should push around and sort out before a friend's birthday that is coming up.

Donator — She/her Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/04/5 21:11:00 )

@Lotus: Do you know when the weather will start getting good for you?

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

Donator Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/04/5 22:24:20 )
@Wildfire: you've definitely been keeping busy, wow. :)
Comic cons are always fun. People-watching is my favorite. XD
My last con, i dressed a bit steampunk and just drank coffee and explored, didn't buy anything, just people-watched and eventually met some celebrities. C:

My life is keeping me rather busy per usual. In my free time I've been reading and actually watching some tv.

Voltie Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/04/6 13:19:44 )
@Totalanimefan: Awwww ... that's a shame that the blossoms are already gone! They are lovely when they're in bloom! :3

I'm not surprised at all that you and probably Aisu and who-knows-who-else have gone to that Con. I was actually really surprised that I didn't run in to people I know there!

@Lotus: Yes! I think these big conference centers, etc., finally are realizing that they don't have to be complete and utter nutters about allowing water and small snacks in to their venue: people truly need to have them and I'm sure it doesn't affect their overall sales of their overpriced junk food. I was surprised, though, that the Orlando Convention Center did not have water bottle refill stations.

LOL - it's not really a surprise that the house became a mess while I was gone. I live with guys who just don't seem to see it, and dogs who happen to be shedding ...

You have a versatile work schedule? That's awesome! Are you and your friend doing anything particularly special in terms of birthday shenanigans? (I need ideas XD )

Voltie Posted 1 year ago ( 2023/04/6 13:30:40 )
@Koah: Yeah, cons are usually fun. I think I prefer the slightly smaller ones than this one, though - it's easier to move around, easier to people watch, and meet celebrities who aren't afraid of actually going out and hanging with people, etc. Yes, the cons are a fun excuse to dress up a little. I didn't dress at all this time other than wearing a kawaii boba kitty tshirt, though - no time (or energy. or interest, really), and the focus was just being there to help chaperone teenagers, and keep my friend sane... ish. XD

I'm glad you're getting a chance to just chill a little bit. I hope everything is going well for you with everything you're juggling - you're a busy lady!!

... and yes, things have just been hoppin' lately iRL... Cons, Easter, birthday, trying to wrangle some sense in to this house, worrying about my boy who's over-tired, over-worked and still dealing with snow, etcetera.. and, on top of all the miscellaneous stuff that seems to keep popping up iRL, I just got tagged for jury duty. *sigh*

┤▒├ Hangout with me! ┤▒├

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.