Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free
Donator — She/Crazy Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/09/10 17:24:17 )

Making new avies is a lot of fun.

Donator — she/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/09/10 17:25:02 )
Why does the internet have so much drama?

Getting art on here is too hard

-Any odds are good odds for the damned-

Donator — She/Crazy Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/09/10 17:27:40 )

Oh no! What happened?

Donator — She/Her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/09/10 17:29:57 )

@lilykin:
Oh man that's terrible. Does twitter have a way where you can mark your account as nsfw?

Voltie — she/they Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/09/10 17:30:06 )
Anytime you've got two people in a room there's a chance for drama. The internet is a room with billions of people. It's bound to happen.

It's just bizarre to me that people go after the same low hanging fruit everytime instead of focusing their energy on real problems

Voltie — she/they Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/09/10 17:34:51 )
I'm pretty sure you can mark tweets nsfw... I know a lot of nsfw artists I follow have started locking their accounts instead so they can screen for underage followers

Donator — she/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/09/10 17:35:58 )
I can hardly think of a time I saw drama in real life, and that was high school. But the internet seems full of it

Donator — She/Her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/09/10 17:36:17 )

Oof that's rough that you can't just mark your whole account nsfw.
Twitter is just... not an ideal platform for artists in general.

Even instagram isn't perfect really. We need a new Deviantart.

Voltie — she/they Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/09/10 17:44:44 )
I recc Weasyl often b/c it has a lot of the features I like. Gallery organization/folders, character profile, blacklist filters, mature/nsfw tagging, gift/commission art galleries, etc. But at the end of the day it's still a furry site and that turns a lot of folks off lol

Pillowfort is pretty great too. Though it's set up more like tumblr. It suffers from a lack of users unfortunately. Even though invites are super easy to get ahold of :(

Voltie — she/they Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/09/10 19:10:14 )
Nothing like a nice warm ramen on a chilly day

Donator — She/Her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/09/10 19:27:21 )

lol yea furries will turn people off.

I feel like a great art website would be something that's kind of a mix between complete customizable store front (thinking carrd.co and shopify) and something more traditional like deviantart.

I feel like most artists don't actually need or want the 'blog' setup it's just kind of something that artists can make use of to display art but it's not optimized for it.

But you need someplace that's accessible without having to login to the community (which is where carrd.co is great), something that provides an easy way for people to submit forms for commissions (this is where the shopify experience is pretty good), and a traditional gallery feed setup for those who decide they want to subscribe to you and keep an eye on what you're doing (what deviantart was pretty good at)

And actually if you could bundle in a project-tracker feature along the lines of trello so artists can give commissioners a way to see where they're at that would probably be pretty great too...

Argh why do I have so many good programming ideas and none of the time to do them in.

Donator — she/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/09/10 20:28:06 )
That sounds like the perfect site.
If you have the time and ability o make it, that would be pretty amazing

Donator — She/Her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/09/10 20:32:53 )

Ability? Yes. Time? Not so much. |D

Maybe one day. I'll probably stick it on my project list. Ideally I am hoping within the next five or so years I can accrue enough savings to go freelance for helping smaller businesses setup their websites and then I'd probably be able to do projects like that during my off-time and set it up under my freelance business to earn money off of it.

Donator — she/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/09/10 20:34:54 )
That sounds like a good plan!

Donator — She/Her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/09/10 20:37:35 )

The problem is the last time I had an idea this good within a few years someone else had already managed it. |D I think. It's still on my list but I've been told there's a version of it out there already now.

Donator — she/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/09/10 20:42:16 )
Everyone would have a different version of the same idea though. Yours might be better done. Or just different enough to get another audience.

But I understand it might not be as worthwhile to do something less unique

Find me @ PlayWithErica on instagram, twitch, youtube, and discord.

Donator — She/Her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/09/10 20:54:11 )

Yes that's true! And that's why it's still on my list cause I want to do some research on it to make sure. My understanding is the other one is aimed more at businesses and I wanted to aim mine at general consumers.

Voltie — she/they Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/09/10 21:02:41 )
A site that could streamline and centralize commissions would be nice. I keep flipping thru current options and I'm lost lol

I'm in between setting up a ko-fi and invoicing from PayPal
~Instagram! Twitter!~

A Big Ole Quest Thread

Ping me, I'm easily distracted

Donator — She/Her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/09/10 21:15:01 )

In my head I was thinking the actual commissioning payment would still go through an outside vendor but having it be integrated into the site would actually be pretty awesome. Especially if it was the kind of thing where the commissioner basically pays the website, the website holds onto that payment while the art is being done, and then the artist gets the payment once they've completed the commission and the commisioner okays it.

Then the only iffy situation I could see is if the commissioner bugs out and never hits the "accepted" button or the artist bugs out and never submits the art but you could either make that a ticket system that's dealt with on a case by case basis or have it automated that after a certain amount of time (past what the artist lists as their art-completion time frame) the system will release the money back to the commissioner or to the artist depending on what part of the process it's on.

Donator — She/Her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/09/10 21:17:07 )

Now... how do you make money off of it?
You could do ads.
You could also do a set fee to get access to certain features.

But artists are... well poor. I feel like they might be more open to the site taking a small percentage of each commission. Because then they're still able to be on the site and displaying and don't have to worry about if they have large gaps between commission waves sometimes.

asdhgle I'm sorry about rambling a bit about this, the id has made my brain happy lol.

Creme and Sugar - A One Slot Bribe Shop

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.