Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Hangouts disability chill zone

Voltie — he/they Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/07/20 17:55:54 )
✢◡✢
~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

hi i love to talk to other disabled people

im mentally ill, physically & developmentally disabled, and i use mobility aids most of the times i leave the house

ive been getting more into disability justice this year and i just joined an activist group for people who are in bed a lot of the time! what have you been doing this year? COVID has hella impacted the disability community, how have you been during all this?

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Donator — She Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/07/20 22:05:58 )
@vessel: hey there :) just dropping by .. if u ever need someone to talk to im always floating about here somewhere ^.^

Voltie — He/Him Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/07/21 03:01:39 )
"You've had too much of the digital love..."

I'm autistic + physically disabled, and I guess my real struggle now is affording mobility aids + sensory aids TwT

I had to buy a new set of headphones, plus earbuds - I struggle with auditory processing, mostly in the form of Too Much Loud causing me to have a meltdown. Being able to control what I hear is a lifesaver tbh, which is why I'm having a hard time this week focusing on anything. As for mobility aids, I have a crutch (that cost like, $6...) but I hardly use it because social anxiety. I reaaaally want the crutches you showed me though! They are...so expensive though @_@ I also worry about jobs and stuff, even with leaving out that I'm physically disabled, most places won't hire me T__T

On the bright side though, I've been taking it easy for the past week - not much body pain, but also... my garden is kind of out of control.

"You want everything live, you want things you can touch."

Donator — they/them Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/07/21 03:44:25 )
════════════════ ∘◦ᵒ .⋆。˚☽˚。⋆. ᵒ◦∘

hello ^^
i will say 1 good thing that has happened is not having to commute (walking + transit) which has been a lot easier on me physically!
how has the start of the week been treating everyone?

@lilmisskushy: @bioshock:
if its ok to change the topic your avis look great!! just wanted to say i felt very inspired to change my avi after seeing them!! <3
bioshock can i ask what your wing items are??

∘◦ᵒ .⋆。˚☽˚。⋆. ᵒ◦∘ ════════════════════════════════

Donator — they/them Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/07/21 04:13:51 )

@0v7: i've used a cane before in the past but rarely do also bc of social anxiety
i did notice people in public treating me differently when i used it but not necessarily in bad or rude way ... sometimes people would offer to carry things, or let me on transit first, or hold open doors for me ........... which like i can appreciate the intent tho i'm in a similar if not less amt of pain than when i'm not using one lol
job discrimination worry is real tho :-( i hope you can find a workplace that is accessible and inclusive

what are you gardening??

∘◦ᵒ .⋆。˚☽˚。⋆. ᵒ◦∘ ══════════════════════════════

Donator — He/Him Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/07/21 05:00:51 )
hello! owo

Yeah I was about to try out some mental health groups early this year, but then the pandemic... bad timing.

And I have too many health problems. It sucks. I don't really talk about it except for in vague terms, because I'm afraid of people telling me I'm being selfish or whatever. Sorry that talking about my pain is such a burden to them.

Voltie — he/they Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/07/21 08:08:51 )
✢◡✢
~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

thinkin about how at the start of this year i was going to NA, to church, going to therapy, trying to take care of myself and how i wish i had started doin that before COVID

also my ribs hurt real bad from lifting the AC to put in the window

@LilMissKushy: aw thank you!

@Bioshock: hi im autistic too!
i tried to do online schooling once and i couldnt do it, i was kicked out twice lol i feel like its harder to understand things in online classes?? but also it pisses me off that this stuff is so readily available now
my partner and i have been taking walks as much as possible, its good for anxiety but also its been fucking up my hips + legs :( what kinda places do you like to walk around?

@0v7: have u tried asking for donations?? im sure theres people who would donate to you for u to have ur needs met, i would!
& smartcrutches are so fckin pricey theyre a dream
i really want an electric wheelchair at some point, i was looking at these ones called uhhh fold2go i think? idk...
also theres this cane that i use that im gonna look at what it is tomorrow and link you! cause theyre better for ur back than regular canes (remind me if i forget!!!)

@xvz: this weeks been kind of rough for me! my cats been sick and my friends were watching her for a little bit for me. and its just really hot out which is bad for my heat intolerance and makes it impossible to eat
other than that though ive been p ok! howre things going for you?

@Shark: is there any programs/groups you can join online? im sure there has to be something
ppl need to hear about the experiences of disabled ppl! whenever ive talked abt my pain people seem confused and uncomfortable, and i think they cant comprehend the amount of constant pain someone can be in and still be able to keep a convo. so obvs we must be ~faking it~

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Donator — She Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/07/21 08:22:17 )
@xvz: aww thank you so much .. ur avitar looks awesome <3
@vessel: ur so welcome:)

The same thing i posted to vessel goes for anyone on here.. if yas ever need anyone to talk to <3

Voltie — He/Him Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/07/21 17:11:49 )

@xvz: The last time I took my cane out 'n about, I got tons of angry glares and a couple of rude comments, something along the lines of "you're too young to be using that" or "you don't LOOK disabled". I'm hoping next time I get the courage to bring my cane, I won't be judged so much ;w; Also, job discrimination sucks a LOT and I hope it gets better with the current events.. TwT

My part of the garden is mostly herbs - rosemary, chamomile, chives - and also a bell pepper plant. Plants I used to have but dried up in the heat (despite consistent watering) are: catnip, chili peppers, lemon balm, sweet mint, sage, cilantro, and strawberries. We have cucumbers too, as well as cabbage n tomatoes! I'm hoping our zucchini and squash make a comeback like the cucumbers did ;w;

@vessel: I haven't actually thought about asking for donations for myself :0 I've done it for other friends of mine, tho with varying success ;w; I might see if it's a good idea, tho I'm not sure how well it would go considering I'm hardly on social media lol
SmartCrutches seem like they're good for back n hip pain bc they support your weight, but also, I wouldn't know for sure unless I tried them :0 Also idk if you're up now but you can send the link to the cane to me on Discord anytime :0

Donator — - Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/07/21 18:51:47 )
Hey. I'm mentally ill and I'm a cancer survivor but was left with one lung. I have lupus and some days are worse than others. I also broke my ankle as a kid so badly that I have painful arthritis and problems with being on it too much. Despite this, I still work a physical job as a janitor and I'm left in severe pain and exhaustion.

My mental illnesses leave make me a very angry person but I've been working hard to get my anger under control. I'm tired of never feeling anything other than anger and I'm tired of hurting people. It's not been easy but I feel like I'm doing okay. Sometimes I slip up though. : /

Donator — He/Him Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/07/22 00:15:24 )
@vessel: yeah there's online stuff, but it's not... the same. y'know?

that sucks. :( I don't think I've ever interacted with someone who thinks it's fake. I have had people tell me to just get over it though. That's pretty hurtful.

Donator — they/them Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/07/22 00:37:46 )

@lilmisskushy:
@bioshock:
ty!! :-)

@vessel: sorry to hear that! i hope your cat is ok and you can get something down (or drink some liquids/water at least?)
i think i'm having a rough start to the week too lol but i think it'll get better if i can get thru it!

@0v7: that's awful and you didn't deserve that, i'm sorry that happened <3 it makes sense you would feel anxious about taking it out, i hope you can feel safe using it next time <3
i get the you're too young / you don't look disabled - back when i was first realizing i have chronic pain (and that not everyone had it .......... lol i just thought everyone experienced it???), i'd tell friends like oh i think i have chronic pain? and so often it was met w skepticism / disbelief - it def made it take longer for me to realize i did have it :-/

wow your garden sounds amazing!!!
some just don't make it in the summer i guess ... have you tried growing indoors?
it sounds amazing that you can get fresh veggies and herbs like that ^^ i think zucchini is my favorite vegetable lol
i used to grow mint, sage, and cilantro by the window! they needed like daily attention tho and after going out of town they turned into dried herbs lol

Voltie — He/Him Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/07/22 00:48:25 )

@xvz: Yeah it took me a long time to realize my chronic pain wasn't normal, like, it's kinda there all the time so I thought everyone had it?? up until my back got worse about a decade ago, got some x-rays and got diagnosed with Bad Back Disease. I might try using my cane more often, if someone gives me crap I'll smack em with it!! /joking

I might try growing some herbs indoors - I have 2 pots that aren't in use right now!! I could grow rosemary in the house, as well as cilantro. Maybe sage, too? I use rosemary n cilantro a lot! Also, for some reason, our zucchini plants died and came back to life...so did our cucumbers - our cucumbers are producing, well, cucumbers now :D

Donator — they/them Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/07/22 22:28:41 )

oof 2 mile walk sounds painful >_> and yeah it's so hot out
gotta stay hydrated!!

hyperflexibility could be a symptom of something else?
(i am not a medical prof so pls ignore me if that is unhelpful)

@0v7: right!!! i started to realize i had it bc one day i spent the day w a friend walking around n stuff
and at the end of the day i was like wait a sec, what do u mean your feet and back aren't screaming at u ......... and that's normal for u.......?
sorry to hear about your back, and i hope next time u use it can be a good experience!

yumm rosemary is strong to me so end up not using a lot at once but cilantro i could literally eat a fistful of lol
when i had a cilantro plant i was definitely going thru it faster than it can grow, i had to be like ok, this plant is for growing first eating second

and that's great to hear ^^ i think that is a thing, like plants naturally come back after dying
esp seasonally, like some plants only live during half the year or just a season
i have zucchini in my fridge now that i am excited to eat lol
how do u usually eat the cucumbers ??

Voltie — he/they Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/07/22 22:35:54 )
✢◡✢
~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

im having an asthma attack rn from smoking dabs
why do i do this to myself

@Bioshock: im hyperflexible with joint pain too! i have ehlers danlos syndrome, have u heard of it?

https://ohtwist.com/when-else-to-suspect-ehlers-danlos-syndrome

@Gatorlec: i feel the arthritis u_u tht sounds all very traumatizing, im glad you're still around with us today : ) the way disabled & mentally ill folk r treated is disgusting, we deserve way more

@xvz: we just got AC so i can eat food again! and my cats starting to feel better : ))

@Shark: theres a whoooole community of ppl online who like to dox disabled ppl who they think are "faking" its horrible

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Voltie — he/they Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/07/22 22:36:36 )
✢◡✢
~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

im having a flare and probably should go back to eating only soft foods but it was driving me crazy :(
i hate being so sick all the time

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

pm me if u wanna donate 2 my living funds

┋ 𝐕𝐄𝐒𝐒 ┋ 𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐬𝐢𝐱 ┋ 𝐧𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐯𝐞 ┋
questinghangoutgallery

Voltie — He/Him Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/07/22 23:23:07 )

I deep cleaned my room because it was vaguely musty and now my back and hips and feet are all like, screaming TwT My room's clean tho

@xvz: I eat cucumber by themselves or in a salad with cherry/grape(???small) tomatoes, mozzarella balls (also small), and a dressing (usually Italian dressing)! I also made cucumber mint lemonade once, and it was ridiculously good!

Donator — He/Him Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/07/23 02:04:53 )
@vessel: oh man :( yeahhh there's a lot of shitty people like that for a whole bunch of groups of people....

Ping me!

Hangout

Donator — they/them Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/07/25 16:25:49 )

heyo how are people's weekends going ^^

today i'm gonna: exercise, shower, do some art/painting, anddd bake either banana bread or brownies :-)

∘◦ᵒ .⋆。˚☽˚。⋆. ᵒ◦∘ ════════════════════════

⠀∘◦ᵒ .⋆。˚☽⠀ {⠀art shop⠀·⠀gallery⠀·⠀closet⠀}⠀☽˚。⋆. ᵒ◦∘

∘◦ᵒ .⋆。˚☽⠀ {⠀buying / questing: capricorn ⠀}⠀☽˚。⋆. ᵒ◦∘

art by kiwi and koneko <3

Voltie — He/Him Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/07/25 17:06:55 )

@xvz: My weekend's going well! I slept well last night, thanks to mugwort tea.
I'm letting my friend Boris use my computer to do his Dappervolk stuff and then I'll be going grocery shopping - I'm hoping I can stop by a CBD place and get some CBD oil because my back's been bad lately =v=; I might bake some shortbread cookies, though I'm debating on what herb to put in them ^^;

I quit Voltra. Read my profile.

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.