Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat Big Investments in Rail in the US!

Donator — She/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/07/6 04:29:26 )

Link to High Speed Rail website/News Post

The house passed an infrastructure bill, now it just has to get past the Senate and then be signed into law.

"The Moving Forward Act would create a $19 billion grant program to fund capital projects that expand intercity or enhance passenger rail systems. Priority would be given to projects that reduce greenhouse gas emissions, fit into a regional plan, or have a multi-state base of support. High-speed trains are eligible for the grants."

So we could be getting High Speed Rail in the US!! Who doesn't love trains. It will also be a big win for the environment!
If you wanted to sign a petition for HRS in the US Click Here

I didn't know if I should put this in this forum or the Serious Talk forum. I feel like it could go in either one.

Donator — She/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/07/6 04:31:16 )

I'm happy to be able to post some news that's not Corona related. XD

What do you guys think? Would you like to have a local train or a train that could take you from city to city faster than driving or in some cases faster than flying.

I've been to Europe and Japan and I must say it's wonderful to be able to take the train everywhere. Both the local, subway style trains all the way to the Bullet Trains I'm a huge fan of and I really wish that we had them in the US.

Donator — AAAAAAAAAA Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/07/6 05:58:34 )

> get past the senate
    > tfw mitch

that's exciting thoughhhh i'd love to travel through the US via train (eventually

thinkin about maglev now
    scream

Donator — She/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/07/6 07:53:08 )

@pachi: I know, F him. Did you know there is a pile of bills that haven't even been voted on cause he won't do it? That's so low. At least have the vote. Win or Lose that's democracy.

I want Maglev soo badly. There is a Japanese company that wants to do Maglev from DC to NYC and I watched a local news segment and the locals living next to the highway, and they said train is going to be so loud! It's going to be ugly! I'm LITERALLY screaming at the TV, you live next to a highway!!! Like there isn't going to be extra noise from the train. Trains are way quieter and they go so fast they are only around for maybe 20 sec and then it's gone. (And Maglev trains aren't ugly, fight me.)

Train travel from the US to Canada sounds wonderful! We are stuck with gross train travel from the 70's and earlier except from DC to Boston, and guess what, the place in the US where it's the best people use it the most. Amtrak is also getting new trains in 2021 or 2022 for that route.

Donator — Whatever Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/07/6 08:35:35 )
Are ya ready, guyz?!

Still too far backwoods for train stations
Still gonna need cars
But a long train trip like a cruise, that would be fun

Put ya guns awn!

Donator — SIR Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/07/6 15:56:11 )
❄🌈Today is a fresh start, do the next best thing and check in on your friends! 🌈❄

@Totalanimefan: this is so promising. I loved using railways in EU. We tend to be so far behind the times. We have so many cities which aren't even pedestrian friendly :(
🌈 Have you ever been touched so gently you had to cry or invited a stranger to come inside?
🌈

Donator — AAAAAAAAAA Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/07/6 16:20:31 )

don't forget all the auto lobbies that constantly oppose expanding rail 'cause they wanna sell more cars :D
    fun.

but gonna stay positive for the US, hope our generation can actually do something about it now

Donator — She/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/07/6 19:22:49 )

@Kitalpha Hart: yeah that would be really cool. In other countries there are rail stations in small remote areas. Japan is like that but I don’t think we are going to get that anytime soon. Lol
@Xanthan: oh me too. When I lived in the UK I didn’t have a car at all. I walked to Uni, to the store, to the library, to the pub. And I took the train to see friends and my husband’s family that didn’t live in the same town as me. My husband also took it for work everyday. And the trains in the UK aren’t even as good as the ones in France, Germany and some of the other countries.

Donator — She/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/07/6 19:28:04 )

@pachi: car culture is literally killing us. 40k people in the US alone die every year from cars. Not to mention the air pollution, the No-exercise lifestyle that goes with cars too. Cars are killing us and the environment. F those lobbyists. Why can’t clean energy be lobbied instead (which is still bad, but I guess it’s the only way to get heard).
Our gen and the gen after us has to see a change or too many of us are going to die because of climate change. And the ones who live will be poorer.

On a slightly related note, it’s been proven that the more connected people are and the easier it is for the movement of goods and services, the better it is for the economy. We need trains not only for the environmental impact but also for leisure and the economy.

Donator — Whatever Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/07/6 19:57:53 )
Are ya ready, guyz?!

@Totalanimefan: Japan has Tama, the Eternal Stationmaster. We are never gonna get on their level because they have a cat Goddess for their trains!

Put ya guns awn!

questShop

Voltie — Moody Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/07/7 00:01:36 )
Moody Says. . .

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

Who needs a license.
ima take the Train.

I'm honestly scared of planes and cars.
I have pretty bad anxiety.
It's more so airports I have anxiety with.
For cars it's well...people again lol.

But trains I feel would ease my anxiety just a little.
I find them very comforting.
I've never been in one though, but it reminds me of Studio Ghibli so much.
So I'm all for it.

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/07/7 00:11:04 )
More trains here really would be a great thing.

I dont drive but I'd sure love to travel around. Would be nice to be able to visit more family that live in different states.

Donator — She/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/07/7 03:16:37 )

@Kitalpha Hart: we need the cat goddess to bless us!
@MoodyBats: I feel the same way. Trains just seem so much more relaxed than the other two. I wish it was more popular here. As someone who is ridden a train lots they are great! And there are all different kinds of trains too.
@Kay: yes! I wish that I could see family without driving too. :/

Voltie — Moody Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/07/7 05:34:26 )
Moody Says. . .

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

@Totalanimefan: I also get car sick. A lot.
So it might be a great/better option for me.

though I don't have many or any places at all to go to. lol.

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/07/7 16:46:49 )
Interesting.
I used to take amtrak every summer to visit my dad. It took about 24 hours to get across 3 states.
I like the idea of high-speed trains. It would make traveling a lot quicker.
I wonder where they'd want to install this.

Donator — She/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/07/7 17:37:53 )

@MoodyBats: a train could be better. Also you can take medicine for car sickness. It works well.
@Bioshock: ah I see. I think that it shouldn’t go through their land unless they are getting a train stop. They should be able to have access to it if they want.
@Koah: oh my that’s a long journey. Would taking the bus have been shorter?

Voltie — Moody Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/07/7 17:51:57 )
Moody Says. . .

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

@Totalanimefan: I know i can take medicine for it.
I just don't.
I don't like to rely on medication for small things.

Donator — She/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/07/7 21:51:54 )

@MoodyBats: Oh I see. I take medicine for it whenever I'm on the boat. It's not worth being sick to me.

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

Voltie — Moody Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/07/7 22:33:08 )
Moody Says. . .

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

@Totalanimefan: I'll probably never get on a boat.
I just smell lavender essential oil when in a car so that helps
and having the windows rolled down even slightly improves it.

But I don't go anywhere nowadays.
I used to only go to the store but I don't do even that.

If you need my attention for any reason please ping me.
[My Website]

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/07/8 00:15:13 )
@Totalanimefan: I don't think so. Amtrak is really direct. There's just a lot of stops and places to get out and stretch. I don't know how long a bus would take. I've never looked into it.
I like the train because of the window car and you can get up and move around.

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.