Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Literature Best public places to read/write?

Donator Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/09/11 02:05:06 )
Locked due to 6+months of inactivity in the thread. If you would like this thread unlocked, please PM a mod.

Sometimes it helps the creative juices to flow if I get out of the house and write. My requirements are quiet, hopefully Wi-Fi, and to be left alone. But I kind of have a hard time finding places like that. Even the library can be strangely loud. I try to get settled in at a table, but suddenly a gang of students shows up or some people want to read aloud to themselves... If I go to a restaurant the temperature is too cold or the table is sticky. If I go outside the sun's too bright for me to see my screen or the white pages of my book burn my eyes. lol It's like I can't win...

Where do you go?

Donator — Female Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/09/11 02:15:05 )
I don't think I can ever heal,
Ever replace that hole your death tore in me.

Honestly? Write? I dunno. Home.
Read? Bed.
> >
I know, no use to you, Sorry ^ ^;;

Feb 17/69 - November 07/16
I miss you more than you can ever know.
My Youtube. I upload Tuesdays

Ping me. always
ALWAYS looking for art of my Characters
If you do art, PM me

Voltie — sewer rat Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/09/11 02:15:53 )
cafe

sayonara cheesecakes ( 0 ڡ≦)ゞ✩◄-gallery-►

Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/09/11 02:25:06 )
I'll never be satisfied with public libraries ever again since attending university. There were select libraries on campus where if you made any kind of noise, someone was bound to tell you to be quiet. So the result is literal dead silence, which for me, is the best place to concentrate. But at the same time I don't like being holed up in a room full of sweaty college students and caffeine, so the atmosphere itself is a deterrent.

I like the bookstore, actually. It's not really a place that a lot of people frequent, and if they do, it's just to browse quietly and then buy something before leaving. A lot of the larger bookstores have cafes too - they have a nice vibe because generally people who go there are there to read and not there to have a meal (which is what I find off-putting about reading/studying at restaurants).

Donator — she/they Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/09/11 09:23:38 )
Noise canceling headphones can make all of your dreams a reality.
Ping me, Devil Daddy, ping me.

Donator Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/09/11 09:41:35 )
I love the library. My local one has a really calming vibe and armchairs dotted around. That being said I never read or write in public, it makes me too anxious :/

Donator Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/09/11 16:12:10 )
@hachi: It's nice your bookstore is quiet. We only have one and any time I'm in there, it's packed with very noisy teenagers. They're not even looking at books; they treat it like a hangout. I guess I wouldn't complain if they were actually there for books, but they're there to do...weird teenagey stuff, I dunno. haha

@Glume: I do wear earbuds because I love mood music to fit the theme of whatever I'm writing, but some people talk louder than my music. lol! Like, do you guys not know you're supposed to be quiet in a library? lol

@sunny: I wouldn't go by myself cause I would be anxious, too. My wife and I go together. We have a friend we write with sometimes, too, but she likes Panera and I hate that place. lol It's always crowded on the weekend and the food sucks so bad. How can a bread restaurant make such crappy bread? And their smoothies are nasty. Just...no.

Donator Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/09/11 18:43:09 )
@Eldweena: There's a restaurant just for bread? Omg :o

currently: new novel who dis?

q u e s t i n g :
beanie doll! thank u cookie

Donator Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/09/11 22:06:11 )
@sunny Not a good one... lol! And, right??? Who just wants to eat bread for a meal? I don't get it, either. And I'm a big fan of bread. As a side.

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/09/21 16:11:19 )

I really miss Borders for this, it had a good balance of natural noise and quiet. Of course they are gone, and soon Barnes & Nobles will also be gone. Last I looked they're going out of business.

A lot of the authors I know go to like hookah cafes and places like that. They seem to enjoy the buzz of activity around them. My best writing was always smack in the middle class when I'm supposed to be concentrating on something else. XD

Donator — Fluffywuff Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/09/21 16:24:53 )
Soooo trite, I know, but I love coffee shoppes. Level background noise is fine for me, though. So that might not be your cup of tea. ba dum tssss
I actually wrote the best piece of writing i’ve Have ever done in my life while sitting in the middle of a grassy clearing in the forest. I was just there to take pictures of wildflowers for drawing/pixel references, and it just slammed me. I sat on my butt and did not move until it was done. XD;;

and then ran across the field, shrieking, since it had gotten dark and there were THINGS

Oh my love, I know you are my candyman
And oh my love, let us fly to bounty land~~

Közi (“Kouji.”)
He/him

Donator — They/Them Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/09/24 16:47:53 )
I love libraries, coffee shops and just laying on a blanket/in a hammock to write
call me grem
they/them

Donator Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/09/24 17:13:46 )
Another Movie Addict:
I really miss Borders for this, it had a good balance of natural noise and quiet. Of course they are gone, and soon Barnes & Nobles will also be gone. Last I looked they're going out of business.

A lot of the authors I know go to like hookah cafes and places like that. They seem to enjoy the buzz of activity around them. My best writing was always smack in the middle class when I'm supposed to be concentrating on something else. XD

Barnes & Noble is going out of business?! Oh, no! Well, we don't have one of those here, but still. lol Whenever I go out of town, I love shopping there.

We definitely don't have hookah cafes in the uber-religious South and the only cafe we have is Starbucks. That place is LOUD AF. All those coffee-makers whirring and churning constantly. And there's nowhere to sit. Not in ours, anyway. I hate that place. And the smell of coffee. lol!

We do have a Books-A-Million with a seating area, and they make various drinks and pastries so it doesn't stink like coffee. I might try that some time. I was actually going to go there with my writing group yesterday, but after we all ate breakfast, the weather was so awful we all just wanted to go home.

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/09/24 22:16:07 )

@Eldweena: I live in the uber-religious South as well, thought most people don't think of my state as one of those. Thing is I'm also in a college town, so we have a mix of Christians and drunk college kids. Makes things a pain in the ass to be honest.

Yeah last I heard, Barnes & Nobles is the next business to go because of us damn millennials. Ours and our Books A Million are both crazy out of the way for me. I do love the smell of coffee though.

Sucks about the shitty weather though.

Voltie — He/Him/His Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/09/26 03:13:25 )
You might try going to a friend or family member's house. Or a closet if you're really, really desperate. I'm assuming you have a laptop or mobile device if wifi is a requirement. If you're really, really, really desperate you could use a good old-fashioned pen and paper. Maybe take some earbuds for music to drown out the noise.

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.