Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat What's your opinion on "cringe culture"?

Voltie — they/them Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/06/19 09:17:34 )
Remember the now famous "my immortal" fanfiction, sonic oc recolors or the many nameless mary sue or self inserts you can find anywhere? They are cringy, sure, but the way people cruelly make fun of stuff like this can be very detrimental for the children who found solace in them?
I remember writing shitty naruto fanfiction or drawing my magical girl persona in middle school and for a long time its made me feel very very ashamed.
And sure, of course this kind of things are funny for the onlooker, because they are childish and self gratifying but they shouldn't be something someone is humiliated, harshly criticised for.
I think the need to laugh at them comes from a place of superiority, from the need to be cooler and more mature.
Anyway whats your take on cringe culture? Have you ever done cringy stuff and if so how do you feel about it now?
tumblr.
literally always ping me

Voltie — Princess Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/06/19 11:49:54 )
I am not sure if this is an answer to your question...but I used to make fun of Twilight alot as a teenager. I could see how bad it was even then. Lots of girls I met liked it and while I never told those people to their face what I thought about the books, within my close circle of friends I used to rip the books to shreds. I used to watch Naruto but I can see the bad parts of it too. I can rip it apart but it doesn't change the fact I still enjoyed watching it for the good parts. I think there is some truth to the saying "its so bad its good".

People are entitled to their opinions about stuff. Meeting people with opinions different from your own is part of life. Its the internet, you can't control if a child is gonna read it and their feelings are gonna be hurt. Besides there are still places and people that welcome Naruto fans and Twilight fans if you really wanna feel like you belong and shield yourself from the hate. It is all up to that person to decide if they wanna live in an echo chamber where everyone agrees with them or not. :vanora_smile:

Even so, I don't condone bullying someone for the things they like. That's just mean.

Always ping me please.

Donator — A.I. Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/06/19 14:47:44 )
Hoo boy...welp, I was always being made fun of in school because I was into anime / manga and was "weird" (kids are just buttheads, imo) and I hated how crappy it always made me feel, so I tend to avoid making others feel like that. If I'm around people who are into a certain thing I might tease them about it once, but not outright sit there and bash the thing just to make them feel bad--after all, we all have guilty pleasures, and I don't like when people bash the things I like. If I'm around people I don't know I try to avoid saying anything remotely negative about anything at all, just because I have a tendency to put my foot in my mouth. xD

On the other hand, I do often look back and cringe at my younger self and some of the things I did, like some of the stuff I wrote or the way I used to talk to people online (I was a weeb, so you can imagine xD). Looking back and reflecting on our younger selves allows us to see and appreciate how much we've grown since then. I'll tease weebs now but it's all in good fun, I've been there, you're into what you're into and if it brings you happiness then so be it.

Also agree with Saeyra, sometimes things are so bad they're good. xD

I know this isn't necessarily where you were going with this but IMO there are too many people in the world who are too concerned with what other people are doing / how they're living their lives.

please ping me if you need my attention! || stardust || be excellent to each other ♥

[ often multitasking unsuccessfully ] | [ I may take a while to respond, but haven't forgotten you! ♥ ]
qu'est-ce que tu vas chercher?

Donator — He/Him Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/06/19 16:39:29 )
I don't really get it tbh. Those things aren't really cringey to me? For me it's like, somebody getting hurt or doing something really awkward that I have to cover my face to hide from the secondhand embarrassment. xDD Liking something other people might not like? Where's the cringe in that? .-.

Ping me!

Hangout

Donator — She/Her Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/06/19 17:31:56 )
It's shit, and people who promote it are also shit, especially the people who run blogs and other forums specifically for the sake of making fun of other people for enjoying themselves.

Do what makes you happy. If you aren't hurting someone else, and you're enjoying yourself, that's what matters. Listen to bad music, read books that aren't written for your age group, go places that might be childish, write bad FanFiction, draw your self insert smooching legolas or loki or whoever makes you happy.

Don't tear other people down for enjoying things you don't, it just makes you a selfish asshole.

Like, man, I spent so many years feeling shamed for reading about characters other people called Mary sues, avoiding music and shows and books I really enjoyed because other people told me I shouldn't, and, man, life got so much better when I started just letting myself enjoy things.
Luna Chandra
Please let me exchange goods and/or services for art. <3

Donator Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/06/19 18:21:21 )
my second and third year in middle school was pretty cringy, but i still had a better time then than i have now lol

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.