Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Serious Talk Russia has officially invaded Ukraine

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/03/2 00:20:50 )

I don't think that anyone knows. He already has so much money and power I guess he just wanted more?

Voltie — she/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/03/2 00:32:12 )

Something.. I could make up all sorts of theories. But I guess the reason doesn't matter much. Just that its horrible and needs to end.

I used to have a friend who lives in Kazan in Russia. I haven't spoken to him for 3 years so who knows what he's like now. But I hope that he is safe and not involved. Not sure by miles if Kazan is truly close to the borders, but it looks close :vanora_sad:

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/03/2 12:27:19 )
@Totalanimefan: Thank you!
--
But yes its definitely weird, you'd think he'd know most other countries, especially those surrounding him aren't exactly... supportive.. of what he's doing
is he trying to go out in a ''blaze of glory'' or something? Or does he actually think so much of himself that he thinks he can get away with it and/or come out as the victor?

Is it weird to think that war honestly is very old fashioned?
like literally just having basic respect for yourself, other people/animals and your surroundings could solve like 90% of our problems and its such a basic thing
while all the politicians / leaders are still playing some weird chess game
like grow up, war should've gone out of ''fashion'' decades ago
We all literally live on the same earth, think people sometimes forget about it. :')

I feel like war is a very childish thing in an age where there is so much access to information and we're exposed to all kinds of cultures, scientific revelations and what not.

But for now let's hope they get out of ukraine quick and people will stay safe, one step at a time
Sorry if Reply late!
Please ping me!

Questing

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/03/2 14:45:17 )

@Siron: I agree. War is weird and it is as old as time for humans. It’s like a disagreement between two people but instead now it’s two nations. If only humans could get along better. Good thing is 99% of humans want peace. :)
I hope this war is short lived.

Donator Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/03/2 15:49:16 )
I've been keeping up with everything. I'm observing, [also the joy of living with veteran guys]
Russia has been posturing for years and years for this invasion. There are rumors that Putin's unwell and he's trying to make Russia better before he passes. [ again rumor]. Rumors also say that Russian troops are low on morale and running out of supplies, like gas and food. There are videos proving some troops interacting with Ukrainians, wanting to not fight.
Then there's Ukraine having access to the Black Sea. They also have notable oil production. Both these things would give Russia more resources.
there's a lot more to this.
Sucks to watch. obviously. :c

Voltie — she/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/03/2 17:08:40 )

I did have a running theory about "what if his health isn't well, and that's factoring why he's doing something so insane?" but I had nothing to base it from. Just digging for what the heck could he be thinking.

I did hear of Russian soldiers getting rewarded if they surrender in Ukraine. And that many of them didn't even know they were being sent into war, so like you said, they don't want it either.

It really sucks watching all of this, but I can't say I dont find pleasure in seeing Putin squirm when things aren't going his way. Another news source says he's been quite cranky and snappy at those around him, which is unusual in that he normally carries a poker face. But I don't know if that source is legit lol

*edit
heyyy I found a good source for information thats been verified!
https://war.ukraine.ua/

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/03/2 17:49:53 )

I have seen a lot of Russian troops surrendering which I think is good news. Be better if Putin just stopped the war though.

Donator Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/03/2 18:06:28 )
Most Russians [I assume] don't know about the reward of surrendering in Ukraine. They've become very isolated and cut off from worldwide webs.
The Russian propaganda has most citizens convinced there's nothing to worry about going on in Ukraine. The ones that do know are under threat if they share their knowledge. The Russian tiktokers I follow just announced too, that Russia is trying to block tiktok because of all the "lies of 'invasion'" that is being spread like wildfire. Any russian tiktoker with XXXX amount of followers will no longer be pushed into the algorithm, so they'll be unheard.
Anonymous is trying to spread knowledge within Russia, but I don't know how successful they are.

There are a lot more troops than there are ones choosing to not fight. The future of Ukraine is pretty foggy. Supplies for Russian troops and Ukrainians are shortening. :c
Hopefully, the EU can fast-track the membership of Ukraine so Europe can actually help them more than just giving them tools of war.
none of Nato countries can do anything without the threat of nuclear war with Russia. However, Ukraine invited any trained person to come to Ukraine to help defend. There's a decent number of people flocking to Poland to get into Ukraine to help.

We can only watch at this point and hope they stay strong.

Again- these are totally my own observations, if I'm wrong somewhere- I hope to be corrected.

Voltie — she/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/03/3 17:00:17 )

"14:35
Minister of Foreign Affairs: Russians might have pointed rocket-launching systems in the Russian border village of Popovka towards their own territory. There is a possibility of a false-flag operation to accuse Ukraine."

This speaks uncertain, but if it's true it really shows how hideously desperate and maniacal Putin is. How disgusting

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/03/5 07:40:34 )
Light update:

Russia banned all major social media sites. Russian citizens who attempt to access these sites or speak out against the war or speak badly about Russian society and its leaders will face persecution or death.

The Russian Ministry of Enlightenment announced that it will stream "All-Russian Open Lesson" on why the "Liberation mission in Ukraine is a necessity" on March 3rd. All Russian citizens are required to watch. The lesson will discuss why "NATO poses a threat to Russian society" and why Russia " Stood up to defend the peaceful residents od Donetsk and Luhansk people's republic.

BBC news reported yesterday that after heavy shelling by the Russians, the largest nuclear power plant in the EU is now on fire
It's suggested but not properly confirmed that one of the buildings associated with one of the reactors could have been hit. If the site becomes unstable the deviation could be worldwide.

Voltie — she/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/03/6 18:26:01 )

Zaporizhzhia power plant fire has been put out. I know that throughout the danger of the fire, Russians continued to open fire.
I have not had any verified source if the shooting around Zaporizhzhia has ceased or continued carelessly.

Russian troops also found to steal Ukrainian gear to put on a guise and protest in favor of Russia.
I cannot remember if this was happening in Kyiv or Kherson, but regardless its very gross

There are enough Russian citizens to stand against Putin, but I understand their situation. It isn't as if anyone knows where Putin is currently. :/

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/03/12 18:13:38 )

@Q t e a p o n: I agree 100%. I try not to look at it all the time but then I feel guilty about it, but then I also what is looking it up all of the time really doing for the people. I look things up once a day and donate to causes.
This war is so dumb and for dumb reasons. I want the war to stop :(

Voltie — she/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/03/15 16:21:04 )

"no war,
dont believe the propaganda" (not exact translation, just paraphrasing)

I have strong hopes in the Russian people to stand against putin and help stop him.
I know that enough of them know the truth, and some of them like this woman are making dangerous attempts to stir the country.

there's no way we will know since they're cut off now

I am leaving Voltra
Find my links here

08 22 22

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/03/15 17:05:21 )

I saw that. That person was brave for doing that.
I really hope that this war will end soon. It's only Putin vs the world it seems at the moment. And the Russian people aren't into this war. They aren't really fighting it. Putin needs to feel defeat soon.

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/03/19 22:59:24 )

Days after Russiantanjs rolled into Ukraine, Maria, a 37 year old mother in western Russia, download a virtual private network. An effort to circumvent the blockade descending across the county's internet.

The instinct proved correct. As the Krimlin began reversing years of relative internet freedom and restricting American, Western Europe news sites and social media networks. The VPN provided a lifeline, allowing her to chat with a friend in the United States and read updates on Facebook and Instagram. Refreshing news about the war every 20 minutes. Maria thinks the conflict is a "tragedy" and says reading about it leaves her with "anger, sadness and empathy."

But Maria says that her mother believes what she sees on Russian-state television. Where the Russian invasion is seen as a righteous military campaign to free Ukraine from Nazis. The different visions have lead to butter arguments. And after one that left her mother in tear, Maria vowed to never speak to her again.

Some Russians- Often with social, educational or professional ties to the United States and Western Europe - are trying to peirce Putin's propaganda bubble, at times leaving them ad odds with their own families, friends and coworkers. The war in Ukraine is only deepening the divide that was already present between young tech-savy people and the older generations who get their news directly from TV. And who have always been more comfortable with Putins radically conservative ideals.

Nearly 85 percent of the country's population is online, according to data from the World Bank. But only some of those people use American social media. In 2022, about half of Russian users use Instagram, and only a fraction were on Facebook and Twitter. According to data from research firm eMarketer.

Many Russian who go online have come to rely on a range of digital tools to outmaneuver Russian censors. They seek out independent news about the war online, splitting them from others whose information comes from government propaganda that floods tv, government-backed website and large swaths of social media networks that remain unrestricted, like Telegram or VK, which are home to many pro-government groups.

The ideological gulf was reflected in interviews with half a dozen people in Russia, who in most instances spoke on the condition of anonymity to avoid the county's fake news laws.

"Shock, depression and hatred," are the words Mikhail Shevelev, a Moscow-based jounalist, uses to describe the "very serious" and "drastic" divide that has emerged between independent news sources and those who get their news from TV.

It's really difficult for anyone - even Russians who do not live in Russia - to understand the vast scale of absolutely illogical perceptions of information and outright lies," he said.

Older Russians make the primary veiwership of Russia's state television news, which has been flooded with reports of fake U.S. Bio-warfare labs and Ukrainian "Nazis".

At the same time Putin is using increasingly Advanced censorship technology. In addition to recent restrictions on Facebook and Twitter, Russia has blocked the websites of many Western media Outlets, including Britain's BBC and Germany's Deutsch Welle. In response to sanctions and public pressure many tech companies including Microsoft, Apple and Amazon have suspended some sales in the country, further contributing to what's being called "the digital Iron Curtain".

Still, Russians seem determined to get around the restrictions, despite the risk of imprisonment. According to digital intelligence firm Sensor Tower, the top 5 VPNs in Apple's app store and Google Play store were downloaded 6.4 million times between February and March. In the three weeks before Russia invaded Ukraine, the same VPN apps were downloaded only 253,000.

Independent Russian media organizations, which have moved their reporters outside the country, still report some of what's happening in Ukraine, and there are still some discussions happening on community groups on VK, Russias most popular social media network, according to Russians who spoke to the Washington Post. Some Russians are also finding Independent News on Telegram and on YouTube, whick Russia has not yet blocked.

Alexander, a tech worker from Moscow in his 20s said he is aware of people who have unfriended each other online, writing post about how they'll never shake a certain person's hand again because of their different opinions on the war. "My aunt, she stopped talking to a few of her friends whom she knows since childhood," he said.

Bot accounts, widely assumed to be run my government employees, muddy the picture by commenting and posting pro-government messages on VK, said Daris, a Moscow resident in her 20s. "It's sometimes difficult to distinguish a bot from a genuine government supporter."

Some Russians who use VPNs are finding that the post and arguments around the war are too intense and are pulling back.

Lucy, a 29 year old designer from the North Caucasus region in Russia, says that she has cut back on Instagram because of angry comments against Russians. She has relatives in Ukraine who have had to flee the Russian attacks, and said that she is half Ukrainian herself. But the heated environment and online has pushed her away from social media.

"At the beginning, I empathize with a lot of them I may not be there but I am a very sensitive person. I can feel the pain they're going through." she said. As the war progressed she began getting death threats online. And she unfriended many Ukrainian accounts she had come to rely on.

Putin's years-long campaign to tighten his grip on Russia's once open information intensified in November 2019. When the country's "Sovereign internet law" came into effect. The law required internet providers in Russua to install government issued black boxes that would enable the government to control web traffic. Internet users who violate the law will face immediate incarceration.

Some people in Russia are also turning to Tor, an open-source system that allows for anonymous communication, to visit services. Twitter and Facebook have built versions of their programs that will work with the software. Artem Kozliuk, head of Russian digital Rights group, Roskomsvoboda, said that he and others are navigating and increasingly complex VPNs and special browser plugins to access basic information everywhere. His organization is putting together a guide to help people navigate the different services.

It's the control of power, it's the control of narrative, is the control of the population" said Ilya Yablokov, a lecturer at the University of Sheffield. He believes Russian censorship abilities so far have allowed the government to control the narrative inside the country's boarders. But that may not always be the case.

" The question is for how long are they going to be winning?"
The Kremlin has created the same rift in Russia as in the US. Their fingerprints are clear.

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/05/3 02:50:04 )

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.