Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat Anime Conventions

Donator — he/him Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/02/23 16:35:50 )

My local con is happening this weekend! Has anyone ever gone to one? I go to my local one every year. I love buying anime merch and art! Sure can be costly though.. What do you guys like to do at cons? O:

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/02/23 17:39:31 )

I love going to cons! It's a different vibe if you go alone first going with friends. I recommend with friends if you can.
I go to Otakon every year but I have been to small cons as well. Look at the guide and see what you want to do and make sure you give yourself enough time to get there if the con is big.
The artist alley and the dealer's room are a must, but I'm not the type to drop a lot of money. I just buy anything I can't live without. Which tends to be pretty enamel pins and an anime mug lol

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/02/23 17:43:32 )
    I went to PAX Prime once, but ended up giving my pass to someone after the first day. It was very exciting, and my friends loved it, but I felt overwhelmed after a short time and decided to just do the things I wanted in the city and meet with them later. My partner loves to go to conventions like Dragon Con, which I agreed to go to this year. I feel like I’m already regretting it…

It’s not that I don’t enjoy some of the atmosphere, but that it’s just an overwhelming amount of people and products for me.

Donator — he/him Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/02/23 20:02:51 )

Oh gosh, huge cons are soooo overwhelming! I feel like three days isn't enough to go though a huge con's dealer's den and artist's alley. Luckily, my local con is fairly small. I totally prefer small cons.

I usually go alone which can be pretty lonely, but I love looking at tables/booths on my own. I've only ever been with my sister once. For some reason, I'm afraid if I go with friends, I won't have time to look at all I want to. XP

Donator Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/02/23 21:17:10 )
I've been to a couple of large Cons by myself. I definitely enjoyed the freedom of wandering around without worrying about anyone. :d
However, I've only been to small cons with friends. Really small in comparison. I would definitely feel lonely going by myself to a smaller con.

One day of cons is enough for me. Maybe if I cosplayed, I'd want to experience the whole weekend.

Donator — he/him Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/02/23 21:51:07 )

I was pretty freaked out being at a large con all by myself in december. > 3< Small cons are much more chill.

I usually go all three days cuz I want to give artists time to make at-con commissions and there are interesting panels each day. X3 I don't think I'd ever want to cosplay. XP I don't want people taking pictures of me...

Artist Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/02/23 22:38:44 )

Ive been to a few in Virginia. My first one I went to like one panel, bought stuff, just enjoyed being there with friends. Then my next two I cosplayed and it was pretty fun. I didn’t enter anything but did do a few photoshoots with friends and that was fun. I miss going tbh.
Haven’t been for like 7 years lol and probably wont go again til this pandemic is over since I have a weakened immune system.

Hope you have fun tho!!

Voltie — Moody Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/02/24 02:19:51 )
Moody Says. . .

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

i have never been to one, but i'd like to one day try to get a table
and sell prints of my artwork.

Donator — Any Prns Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/02/24 02:29:34 )
I used to go to Anime Expo pretty regularly! I always went with a decent sized group of friends but outside of eating and taking breaks from walking/the heat I find that trying to move around crowded halls with more than one other person is pretty much impossible XD I also miss cosplaying, I was never super good at it but the feeling of going to a specific fandom meetup and hanging out with other characters from the series (maybe even role playing a little bit for group pictures) is something I miss terribly...

I really want to try and go to some smaller cons by myself but since I don't drive and I live in California its almost impossible to get anywhere without a car lol T.T
Current Song: Shirim by Melody's Echo Chamber

Donator — He/They Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/02/24 03:27:51 )
(˵◕ ᴥ ◕˵)ノ Hello there

I love going to cons! But sadly the last one i went to was before the first lockdown :'^)
However if it isnt canceld again im going to have a booth/table at one this summer! That will b my second time :^D

I love to cosplay even if my cosplays dont look that good, im rly just in it for the fun. I also always go with a friend of mine so we just endlesly talk aswel lol.
I mainly spend my time in the artist alley bc imo theres where the best quality of merch is + the artists spend all their love and time on it so its great to suport them :^D
I also like to buy snacks that arent normally availble here, like typical american and japanese snacks ect.
The friend i always go with is also more social then me and knows more ppl at the con wich causes me to meet new ppl all the time then aswel.

。.:☆*:・ヽ(˵◕ ᴥ ◕˵)

Donator — he/him Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/02/24 19:22:32 )

@Ruby: Aww, that really sucks! I hope things will be more normal this summer but who knows. > 3< Thanks!

Cosplaying does sound fun for cosplayers. X3

@Stinky: Yeah, that's the risk lately. Man, there was one con I attended last year where they did require masks but didn't care about social distancing so I got stuffed into a panel room with so many people. It was packed... Luckily, I didn't get covid. o vo;; But it sure fills a person with anxiety.

@MoodyB: Me too! I'd love to know how artists start out doing that!

@Maraschino: Aww, hope you can get a car soon! So lucky you live in Cali though! I'm jealous. Some good cons over there.

@Goblinsandtea: I went to one a month before lockdown. It's interesting to think about... I started attending physical cons again last year. Attended a few virtual cons in 2020 and last year, which was really interesting and cool.
And that's so cool! How did your first time having a table go? O: Which con will you table at this year? It's in your country?
I love buying fan merch! There's some super cute charms and keychains out there! > w<
OMG I love buying melon bread and UCC coffee at anime cons!!
I've gotten to be friends with some of the artists too~ Always nice to be a repeat customer of artists I love~

Voltie — Moody Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/02/24 21:35:26 )
Moody Says. . .

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

@Kent: yeah lol. tho makes me nervous cause i am the person who never
would want to leave her table lol.
tho my friend wants to help and wants to know what it's like.
when it happens will definitely let you know!

If you need my attention for any reason please ping me.
[My Website]

Donator — He/They Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/02/24 21:54:16 )
(˵◕ ᴥ ◕˵)ノ Hello there

@Kent: Ive never atended a virtual con but i heard of them, how exactly does that work?

My first time was great! Due to stress i did however forgot i brought my stuff and in a panick went back home with the buss just to see that i indeed brought my stuff to the con and went back home for nothing... my friend who i share the table with was verry confused lol. It will be the same con again wich is indeed in my country. Its a rather small one called Atsusacon. Its a lil more focused on anime and japanese culture (other geeky stuff is allowed aswel tho) but its mainly filled with artists! Ive been going to that con since i believe 2014.

I also used to have some mutuals that due to the pandemic we all kinda lost contact. So i hope to see some of them again.
Also speaking of the devil i literly just got an email from the con confirming the date so thats great!
Ive told my friend and we are going to (soonish) make a plan with everything we need to prepare. Its in mid july so we have about 4/5 ish months to get stuff done... now im getting nervous AAAA

。.:☆*:・ヽ(˵◕ ᴥ ◕˵)

♦ Gob | 23 | Taurus | Belgium ♦
Insta | Toyhouse | Gallery | Carrd

♦ My Art Shop ♦

Donator — AAAAAAAAAA Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/02/26 01:06:22 )

i started tabling at anime cons since 2015 and that was the only reason i went to them hahaha
    bit apprehensive about the local ones here with covid still around but seems like they'll be in june/july so if i go i'll just stay outdoors
    i don't really buy anything there since it's all $$$ for me

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/02/27 00:24:39 )
    @Kent: Ahh, I forget about the areas where artists are commissioned or sell their art. It's always really exciting coming across an artist's work that you recognize. I bought a pair of art books; one was for the game, Ōkami, which I had never played and the other was for the animated film, Summer Wars.

I can definitely see where going with a group might bring less time to really peruse the things you want because you might not have the same interests but don't want to separate from the group. I'm a herd animal and don't want to be the separated little elk.

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/02/27 22:09:55 )
i've never actually been to a con, so i can't assist anyone here, unfortunately. it doesn't help that i live in a real stupid town with jackshit, lmao.

Donator — he/him Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/02/28 23:26:34 )

@MoodyB: Aw. XD I'd want a table partner in case I need to leave for a bathroom break or would like to go to a panel... I love looking at keychains and charms too...

@GoblinsAndTea: I've attended two on discord and one had it's own website/app hosting videos and live streams. Think some panelists and artists live streamed on twitch too. There were group chat games and some people hosted trivia on a website where everyone could sign up to participate live. Love those trivia sites. It was so cool to see mangaka working on art and their manga live on video too!! * o* I loved watching industry panels too. They'd tease their upcoming releases of anime and manga and products. Artist would give discounts in their online shops or open up commissions only for congoers too~ I enjoyed them.

Aww, that must've felt like such a waste of time and money. o uo;; Cool. I'll have to look it up sometime~

Oh, nice! Hope you''ll be all prepared by then! > w< I always prepare so last-minute... What kind of products do you sell? o:

@pachi: Cool!! What made you want to start? O: I wonder if I've seen you at one... You don't do art trades with the other artists or buy their art? D:

@blue: I love art books. * o* I have one of Makoto Shinkai's backgrounds.. And one of my favorite artists Yuumei. * w*

I don't mind leaving the group and then regrouping later. > o>

@Pelontrix: There most be at least one con within driving distance. X3

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/02/28 23:27:34 )
@Kent: i can't drive.

Donator — he/him Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/02/28 23:34:18 )

@Pelontrix: Can you take a bus? Or ask someone to drive you? o 3o

Ash 8/7/19
Kate 1/9/22

by YukiThePanda <3

Twitter

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/02/28 23:36:21 )
@Kent: My dad is the only one with a full driving license, and he works from 6 am to 7 pm.

Taking a bus would be expensive (even just getting one to a neighboring town, where the job center is, costs around 5£), and I'd have to take multiple. What with the shoddy bus service in this country at the moment thanks to both Brexit and COVID, there's no guarantee I'd be able to get back home without having to ask for a ride.
please ping me for the love of god.

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.