Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat Why are office supplies fun?

Donator — whatever Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/08/19 17:33:53 )

@Totalanimefan: Apparently Lisa herself is a real piece of work and the whole company is/was a mess, but it can't be denied that the artwork is gorgeous. :3 And I love the avatar! :D

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/08/19 17:35:07 )

@CooperationIsKey: That's sad to learn :(
Thank you. I'm glad that you like it. ^^ Do you think it seems like her work?

Donator — whatever Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/08/19 18:03:50 )

@Totalanimefan: Yeah I've watched a couple mini-docs on the company's history. It's a bit rough.

And yeah! The palm trees in the background are a nice touch. :D

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/08/19 18:59:07 )

@CooperationIsKey: Thanks. It's a past crate item ^^

Donator — He/They Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/08/19 20:47:31 )

I do like the feeling of potential that they have. Pretty much any fresh new thing has that appeal, but office supplies mean the possibility of creating something new on top of that. Also they smell good.

ALWAYS PING ME

Voltie — They/He Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/08/19 21:56:00 )
Should they keep it on display...

@Totalanimefan: Don't have a favorite brand of notebook, tend to judge whether or not I want it by the cover and the paper quality. (Note: Moleskin notebooks have shitty paper, trust me on that one.) I don't have photos of them, but I have a variety of notebooks, hardcover, spiral-bound, college-rule, Hand-made, leather-bound, etc. One of my favorites is this miniature leather-bound notebook with a little metal hook on the front to close it. Hand-made, cost like 4 dollars, but absolutely adorable and totally worth it. also got a normal-sized notebook of the same kind, but it doesn't have a closing hook.

As for the chaos that is my pens and markers, I uh. Have a lot. I have Sharpies (normal, fine tip, and now S-notes? they're new), Zebra Mildliners (w/brushtip!), Pilot G-2 pens, Bic pens and pencils, Faber Castell brush tip markers, and gel pens! I have other stuff, this is just the off-the-top of my head list (including the stuff w/ me rn).

Or redecorate?

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/08/19 22:50:41 )

@Count Trashula: Agree and agree. Why do they smell so good tho?
And the thought of getting things done is a nice feeling. Esp after 2020/The Pandemic (Note: I don't think the pandemic is over, but in the US most people are starting to transition back to normal)

@Ava: You should get one! If you look for 17-month planners they are from Aug 2021 to Dec 2022! So you can use it now and not have any wasted time in it. If it helps you remember for potential work it's worth it!

@MaxIsConfused: Oh wow you do have a lot. I think your leather-bound one sounds nice. Do you have a favorite kind of notebook/note taking book? One that you go to the most? Or are the different ones for different things in your life?
Mildliners got a new fan this week, and that new fan is me. I love them so much. They are wonderful when I'm note taking. I write down everything in black ink from a pen I like and then I highlight the key things in different colors.

Voltie — They/He Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/08/20 21:42:04 )

@Totalanimefan: I shockingly don't take notes very often, even when I was in high school. Might change when I start art school on the 30th, idk. I currently have one notebook that I use super often as a sorta junk journal/scrapbook, but I painted it, so I don't remember the brand. Has nice dot-grid paper in it, soft-cover. Painted it to look like Virgil Sanders' purple-plaid jacket. Really all I can truly say about getting notebooks: make sure the paper is thick/durable enough to handle whatever ink you use on it. Good papers have little to no ghosting (ability to see the ink through the page) and NO bleeding!

Mildlinders are so pretty, I swear. The pastel colors won me over in a heartbeat, favorite highlighters ever.

Or redecorate?

Donator — She/Her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/08/21 23:24:30 )
Uh, do stickers count as office supplies? I've been collecting a lot of them lately. ^^; Specifically, I bought some from someone making fan art of Animal Crossing villagers (it was a random pack of characters), and a bunch of some of my favorite (recent) anime characters (Zenitsu from Demon Slayer and Bakugo from My Hero Academia). xD I probably have a few dozen stickers now? But I'm not sure if or when I'll stick them to anything...I just suddenly started wanting them!
Goodbye, Voltra.
Feel free to add me on Discord: aisu9811

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/08/22 04:52:47 )

@Aisukohi: Sure! They can count. ^^ Could you share some of them with us? I would love to get some AC stickers!

@MaxIsConfused: I bought two more mildliners today. They are amazing. I got grey and like a cloudy/greyish blue.
I never needed to write down notes or study in high school. I didn't start until college. I took me a whole semester to learn/get used to it because everyone learns differently with note taking and studying. Your notebooks sound pretty nice. ^^ I don't know how many notes you will have to take in art school, but you could draw in them lol

Voltie — They/He Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/08/22 18:04:38 )

@Totalanimefan: I'm not sure how many I'll be taking either, but I honestly might just take them for the sake of making them look pretty (like all of those aesthetic note-takers). I mean, it'd help with memorization and it'd look cool, so why not, y'know? and since my lectures are pre-recorded, I can pause and go back if need-be. My grandma got me a normal college-rule notebook for school, so I suppose I'll put it to good use (or at least try to lol).

Or redecorate?

Donator — whatever Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/08/22 23:18:13 )

Just like a week ago I bought a new pack of colorful ballpoint pens, primarily for writing in my dream journal. Probably my favorite one is the orange one... which naturally I unknowingly threw in the washing machine yesterday. So I guess I'll be buying that pack of pens again. At least they're not expensive, but still, I'm annoyed.

Anyone else accidentally kill a pen before?

Please ping me!

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/08/23 03:29:26 )

@MaxIsConfused: I love having pretty notes! It makes me want to look at them and study them more. When it’s just a black blob of the same ink it’s hard to focus on certain parts.

@CooperationIsKey: oh no that sucks!!
I’ve washed a lot of things on accident. I don’t think I ever did it to a pen but I tend to keep those at my desk or in my purse. I saw more colors of those mildliners at Michael’s today. But the ones I got from my local shop are actually in Japanese so I didn’t know if the quality would be different. And I think it would bug me if half the orbs were in English and half in Japanese lol

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/08/24 18:43:57 )
I enjoy that the Mildliner come in pastel colors instead of the glaringly obnoxious neon hues of a standard highlighter, but that was about as far as it goes. I think that there's perhaps a bit more hype about them because bullet-journal accounts like to have them spread around their desk for photos. That being said, they can still be very nice.

Lately, I have been using the Tombow Dual Brush pens, and my actual writing pen differs a little bit but my favorites lately have been:
Pilot Hi-Tec-C Maica Gel Pen (0.3 mm)
Pentel EnerGel-X Gel Pen (Needle Point, 0.3 mm)

I found that I prefer a needle-point, and for the pen to be retractable, although I have a couple with caps that are also quite nice. I have small handwriting, so pens above a 0.5 mm tend to make my writing a bit messy.

Voltie — he/him Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/08/25 22:01:13 )
A brand new notepad and a fresh pen gives a feeling of "starting new" for me. I really like it. <3

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/08/25 22:14:54 )

@blue: I didn't even know about bullet journaling until like last week. It's not for me. I like the mildliners because it's easy on the eyes and because they don't bleed through the paper.
Oh I like that you use really fine pens. Those are great for writing in Chinese or Japanese (not that I think you write in those languages, I'm just saying lol)

@Pospeb: That's a good point. The thought of starting over again anew is a nice one.

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/08/25 22:22:05 )
@Totalanimefan: I just couldn't get into all the ridiculous charts and little symbols all over the place. If it works for others, that's great, but all I really needed was a daily/hourly planner with space for notes and a task list. I couldn't find one that was an acceptable price so I just bought a Moleskin-esque notebook with dotted grid paper and went to town making my own. I would spend a day or two on the weekend just decorating the pages with whatever stickers I had, add more weeks, and then fill in my schedule for when I was in school.

To their credit, I do love the grey Mildliner. It was such a subtle way to highlight something without being so abrupt. Plus, I felt less guilty if I used the highlighter in a rented book. I once rented a textbook where the person used a black sharpie to highlight. It looked like someone had redacted the entire textbook!

I really enjoy the fine-tipped pens. I found that going below 0.3 mm for me is a little too small and it becomes scratchy, but going past a 0.7 is a nightmare for me. I write slowly, anyway, but it just becomes painful if I have to write something down in a larger font. And they are great for those languages! Unfortunately I only know English, but somehow I came across a Japanese pen once and that's what sparked such an interest in them. I had no idea pens came in anything other than the plain old Bic 1.0 mm.

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/08/26 15:49:33 )

@blue: yeah I thought that was ridiculous too. Not work me. I’ll write things in plan English and highlight important words or dates.
I love the grey one too! At first I was like, why would I want grey? But then I used it and I was a convert. Lol
Oh my gosh I can’t believe someone did that! That sucks.
Learning Japanese is what lead me to learn about thinner pens and why they are important. I feel like now American companies are selling the thin ones too because they sell well. 10-15 years ago it was harder unless you went to a write store or pen store or something like that.

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/08/26 15:56:59 )
@Totalanimefan: Ah, that's true, I don't recall seeing many varieties of writing pens unless you went to a specialized stationary store. To be fair, I wasn't looking either. I feel like a bigger part of this is because English tends to focus more on calligraphy as the specialized sort of writing, so you can find more brush pens, quill-tips, and ink pots. Gel pens are usually considered something you just draw with for fun or are for children.

The grey one is great, right? I also got a hold of a grey pen, which I used to use for static schedules and outlining the layout in my notebook. I don't remember where I first saw it, but I feel that it was only by some serious investigation on instagram. For whatever reason, a few of the notebook accounts I follow are shifty about where they obtained their goods. I had to really dig into resources to find out where this one minimalist planner was from, and after I was shocked at the $70+ price tag.

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/08/26 17:15:58 )

@blue: yeah that’s a good point.

Grey pen?! I will be on the lookout for that. Is it by the same company?

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.