Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat Why are office supplies fun?

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/08/26 17:26:16 )
@Totalanimefan:

It's the Zebra Sarasa Clip Gel Pen, 0.3 mm in gray. I bought it from jetpens.com.

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/08/26 17:32:42 )

@blue: thank you. I’m going to look for those. :)

Donator — A.I. Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/08/27 17:02:42 )
// AI-COM MNRVA : activate MIDNIGHT EXIGENT(aurora knives)

I think it's because it's a new and exciting part of something that's otherwise very mundane. You get to use something new, so it feels like a slightly different activity, even if you're just balancing your checkbook. I work in a restaurant so pens and paper are a staple, and the fancier kinds definitely make you feel like you're more prepared; kinda like shoes that light up lol. I just got a new server book a couple weeks ago with a galaxy pattern on it and you can bet I was excited to use it on my next shift. xD

I also feel the same way with cleaning supplies. Actually anything around the home. New towels, bathroom organiser, frying pan, storage bins? FIELD DAY.

// AI-COM : return // end of line

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/08/27 17:06:43 )

@Vii: Yeah you have a good point. ^^ I would be excited if I had a galaxy pattern server book XD My planner has a pretty drawn flower pattern on it and it's nice to look at. I've been using it a lot and it's amazing how if you make a list and then get to cross it off when you finish it makes you want to do that thing. Or at least makes it more likely. I've been keeping up with studying, cleaning and drinking more water since I started writing them down as goals.
It's a monthly and weekly planner so in the weekly part I try to have my small things I want to do for the day (or goals) like studying, cleaning the bathroom, laundry, etc.
Then for monthly I have appt written down, release dates for video games I want to play, vacation dates and the days I would like to start new classes (my online school is go at your own pace)

I also love buying new stuff for the house. I had to stop buying towels because. I think I'm good now but I just love them.

Donator — A.I. Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/08/27 17:19:58 )

@Totalanimefan: Quantifying progress is really difficult, but writing things down and crossing them out makes things visual and easier to hash out. And it's so satisfying to see that progress in realtime. It definitely sounds like you've got a good system put together! There's also just a special feeling that comes with pulling out a planner; bonus points if it has sticky notes and loose papers poking out the edges lol

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/08/27 18:03:29 )

@Vii: I don't have those things sticking out yet, but maybe in the future lol
It's really helped me to have a system like this. In the past I thought that it was a waste of time to write it down. I thought, if you have the time why not just do it, but to plan it out not only makes it so you don't forget, but it makes you able to do a little bit each day and it's broken down so you don't have to do everything all at once. It's pretty nice. lol

Donator — A.I. Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/08/27 18:17:26 )

@Totalanimefan: Yo I'm glad I'm not the only one. xD

Every time I've started a planner or journal, I've thought, "why am I just writing about it instead of doing it?" and end up feeling a bit foolish. (And abandoning the journal forever |D)

Our brains have so many little things to remember both long-term and day by day though, that it's just not fair to ask them to remember even more tiny details. :c my poor brain, I'm so sorry To-do lists, phone numbers, favours, birthdays, addresses, school lunch PIN from 5th grade...

Humans also tend to love patterns, which imply structure. So it all does make sense I suppose.

[ often multitasking unsuccessfully ] | [ I may take a while to respond, but haven't forgotten you! ♥ ]
qu'est-ce que tu vas chercher?

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/08/27 18:53:33 )

@Vii: I used to be really good at remembering small things and then the pandemic happened. It just wrecked my brain and now it only holds knowledge to have me survive this times. And it's used to doing the same things all the time because of the way 2020/2021 was/is.
That's true. We actually like structure and schedules. We just have to also have things change up a little bit. Like different/new foods, seeing some friends and some family different days of the week. Going to new places on occasion. (All the things we couldn't do in 2020 basically lol)

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/08/28 19:48:21 )
I think it depends on the person. Half of my family is all about flying by the seat of their pants, where the other half is very structured; it's kind of funny to see how we all seem to pair up into similar habits and preferences.

I haven't been as stringent about my scheduling since I did my last exam. Since the beginning of the year I had to schedule out my days by the half hour just because of meetings and trying to stick to a study regime. I think one of my professors still used the 15-minute cycle so her entire day was crammed with meetings, lectures, and e-mails.

I enjoyed my dotted notebooks, but I found it harder to take the time to diagram my weeks out so I gave in and bought a cheap planner on Amazon. The hourly breakdown blows, but at least it checks off most of the boxes I wanted for a daily planner.

Voltie — Moody Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/08/29 00:28:44 )
Moody Says. . .

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

Back when i used to write stories, anytime we went to the store and just happened to go by
the stationary aisle my dad would just go "here she goes again" and i would just gaze upon all the beautiful notebooks.
I really still love the very pretty notebooks with colorful designs.

Tho the second i buy it i don't use it as i don't want to ruin it.
I still have some of my pretty unused notebooks LOL.

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/08/29 01:09:12 )

@MoodyB: I feel that. Sometimes they are so pretty you don't want to do anything to them that would make them imperfect.

@blue: That is pretty funny. 15 min cycle is too intense for me. I just write down at least 3 things I would like to do that day. Even if it's something like relax, or drink enough water. Just so I have something each day. I don't do it down to the hour or anything like that unless I need to write down an appt with a set time. If you could have the perfect planner, what would you have in it?

Voltie — Moody Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/08/29 01:52:46 )
Moody Says. . .

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

@Totalanimefan: I Usually want to use them for something so special
but then i just don't know and forget eventually lol

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/08/29 04:18:26 )
@Totalanimefan: I might be able to find a template I've been working on, but ultimately I found a couple of things that work best for me:
    weekly layout
    vertical format
    hourly division of the day - preferably something from 6 am to 10-ish
    memo sections for each day to list tasks or notes
    mini calendar overview on each weekly spread

I feel so picky about it, because it's kind of silly.

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/08/30 01:17:01 )

@MoodyB: what counts as special enough? I like using one of my notebooks as a dairy. I don’t write in it everyday but like 3-4 times a week. ^^

@blue: oh that sounds good. Are there no planners or online outlines like that?

Voltie — Moody Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/08/30 01:21:49 )
Moody Says. . .

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

@Totalanimefan: something i won't hate or dislike that i rip pages out.

maybe art notes or health diary maybe?
but to this day i still havent used my nice notebooks

Donator Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/08/30 01:49:47 )
I have a small obsession with stickers...I am mentally preparing to stickerbomb my water bottle xD

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/08/30 03:35:06 )

@MoodyB: those are both good uses.
@Aynjell: I have stickers on my water bottle! I love it.

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

Voltie — Moody Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/08/30 05:39:13 )
Moody Says. . .

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

@Totalanimefan: yeah i just dont do either or write in general anymore lol

If you need my attention for any reason please ping me.
[My Website]

Donator Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/08/30 07:21:38 )
@Totalanimefan: Heck yeah, I just bit the bullet and finally decorated mine. I covered it in mod podge and am planning on covering that with a clear acrylic sealant.

Not thrilled with how it turned out, but it was my first one and I'll only get better

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/08/30 15:48:02 )
I believe there are probably some planners out there that fit the bill, but it was often the price tag that had me turning my nose up. Plus, the price and the need for a new one each year had me a little bit anxious so I started to play around with my own layout for an A5 planner insert instead.

@Aynjell: Oh? I think it'd be fun to see the stickers you used!

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.