Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Serious Talk What are ways you cope with stress?

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/02/8 19:59:09 )

We are all stressed out right now and in a bad place. 2021 will great better, but we are still too close to 2020 to feel its effects.

I want to know, what do you know when you are stressed or anxious? Everyone's methods are different but maybe we can try out and find new ways to cope with our anxieties. If your ways are the same as someone else's thats ok! You can still talk about it here. You can either list them out or talk it through. I'm going to list mine in no particular order.

I'll start:
1-Go for a walk
2-Take a shower
3-Make sure you are drinking enough water through the day. I know it doesn't sound like it makes a difference but it does to me. Also showering makes a huge difference in my mental health and I don't know why. Some days showers seem so daunting so I know the feeling, but just sit in the bathroom or on the toilet, then take off your clothes, then probably you will want to shower instead of putting those dirty clothes back on, and if you still don't want to shower that's ok, put some new, clean clothes on.
4-Listening to music also helps me a lot. It's amazing what it can do for your mood! Just try to stay away from sad, depressing music. You know the songs that bring you down instead of lift you up. It's so easy to want to watch depressing movies or listen to depressing songs but it's not the best. (This is what a dr told me and I find that it's true.)

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/02/8 19:59:24 )

If you tried any of the ideas in this thread please share them with us!

Donator Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/02/8 22:09:31 )

I listen to ambient sounds. Mostly here (link) but there are some good playlists on Spotify too. Rain sounds in particular have a very calming effect.

I also write when I'm stressed, because I find that 'escaping' into another world for a little while is good to calm me down.

Generally I don't get super stressed because I'm on pills for it LOL and the pills keep it under control but that's probably not the answer you wanted..... XD

currently: new novel who dis?

q u e s t i n g :
beanie doll! thank u cookie

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/02/8 22:18:04 )

@sunny: All answers are valid. If people need medicine to help them, there is nothing wrong with that. I really like your answers. Listening to Lo-Fi or Ambient sounds helps me too when I feel overwhelmed.
I like telling people that writing could work for them. I don't know if it works for me but I read that it helps.
@Nephila: Dancing is a good one. It's fun and feels good to do. And you don't have to leave your house.

Donator — She,Her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/02/9 01:46:27 )
▅▅▅▅▅▅▅
How to break a heart
It is not difficult
Anyone can do it
So could you, if you tried
Just find a light
And switch it off
As easy as blinking
~Emilie Autumn

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

1. Walks
2. Meditation
3. Ddp yoga
4. Reading
5. Music
6. Writing
7. Rpging ( d&d or others cuz i can be someome else in a different world)
8 crafting
9. Talking with friends or friendly people ( like here)

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅
Human emotion is energy.
You cant always see it or hear it, but you can feel it.
Ever had deja vu?
Felt someone walk over your grave?
Ever felt someone behind you in an empty room?
Well there was. There always is.
A ghost.
~Torchwood

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

Donator — Artist Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/02/9 02:02:44 )
These are all good/valid tips! :)

About music/media in general, sad/depressing actually helps me cope better (as well as hopeful/happy), as I don't feel alone in my emotions. It all depends on the level of how I'm feeling though; for example, if I watch/listen to movies/music which are really confronting - when I'm extremely anxious/depressed to breakdown level (or when I had no sleep to rest my brain) - that's not good for me.

I want to try antidepressant pills again, even though I haven't noticed if they personally help me when I used to take them (probably the only way I would ever know is if family/friends notice difference in me). I took one for months two years ago for my everyday tension headache, but I think it may have contributed to my body/stomach intake issues over time. That was the strongest one I ever took out of my pill history (i have tried more than this strong one), so idk. :/

I don't drink enough water & have too much caffeine (coffee/tea/chocolate), which is bad for my headache/wellbeing in general xD Another reason I want to try pills again, so I don't rely too much on chocolate.
‘god, tell us the reason youth is wasted on the young. I thought I saw you out there crying, woah-oh. I saw a lion kiss a deer, we are all lost stars trying to light up the dark.’ ~ Jungkook. / diary. text. visual. comm.

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/02/9 04:18:16 )

@Jessamine: that’s a good point about the sad media. When I was given this info by the dr I was very depressed and I had horrible things happening in my life so he said no sad movies or songs. ^^;
I can’t believe I forgot to mention no caffeine. I do that every time I’m feeling anxious or uneasy. I don’t even drink tea or eat chocolate during those times. I think that is one of the best tips.
I didn’t want to comment on pills much, not because they are bad but because I’m not a dr and it’s important to talk to a dr about it. I do know that not ever pill works for everyone. I had one that made me really susceptible to crying. ^^;

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/02/9 04:19:13 )

@Kittyzilla: I like your tips. I think the internet can be a great tool. I used Voltra a lot in 2020 and it really helped me.

Donator — She,Her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/02/9 04:29:18 )
▅▅▅▅▅▅▅
How to break a heart
It is not difficult
Anyone can do it
Just find a light
And switch it off
As easy as blinking
~Emilie Autumn

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

@Totalanimefan: agreed internet can be a great tool if used right .. like not being like my dead and looking up 'what does it mean when you have a head ache' then see it's several side effects of multiple diseases then think you have them... that's a bad tool of internet... But yea like posting here my art stuff and what not to read all of the complements when i think it looks really bad and tear my self down ... i have actually taken my first 'step' sorta speak to getting help. A friend said i should go to therapy to get my self destruction fixed... but i know when it started.. i know the root of it and all that and i tried what others have told me to do .. but its an internal thing it's a mental process that a therapist cant help with .. like yes they can give exersices and what not but they don't know how my brain is wired so due to meeting nice people here and what not Friday i actually bought two books one is called ' The Self Confidence Workbook: A Guide to Overcoming Self-Doubt and Improving Self-Esteem' and another one i got (since a guy i dated mentally and emotionally abused me to the point i thought very little of myself since highschool) the other book i got is 'Self-Love Workbook for Women: Release Self-Doubt, Build Self-Compassion, and Embrace Who You Are'

and its just cus the nice people on here who have told me I'm kind, genrouse, helpful, that i have a big heart. And for people saying my art work and crafting is amazing and such

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅
Human emotion is energy.
Ever had deja vu?
A ghost.
~Torchwood

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/02/9 04:38:21 )

@Kittyzilla: the internet is a tool and it can be used for good or bad.
As for therapy it totally worked for me, but it doesn’t work if the therapist isn’t the right fit for you.

Donator — She,Her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/02/9 04:46:08 )
▅▅▅▅▅▅▅
How to break a heart
It is not difficult
Anyone can do it
Just find a light
And switch it off
As easy as blinking
~Emilie Autumn

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

@Totalanimefan: yea my sister is trying to get me to see hers and she is like 'oh she helped me find the root of my issues ' and blah blah and i have sat in with my nieces (when she was younger she goes in by her self now) but it's like watching them its like i know the root of my problems .. it's me .. i believed some one when they said 'your lucky i'm dating you cus no one else will' i stemmed my worth from and the fact that my past relationships they all cheated on me so i mentally told my self i'm not good enough for any one.. i tired the date your self to grow your own love for your self like my sister told me to try since her therapist told her to do it... sadly when i did it .... it was complicated... i told my self i wasn't worth dating and that i could do better then date my self cus how worthless i was... and that is the oddest feeling you could ever have
▅▅▅▅▅▅▅
Human emotion is energy.
Ever had deja vu?
A ghost.
~Torchwood

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/02/9 04:56:46 )

@Kittyzilla: it’s hard to unlearn what you have already learned. I do have one question? Why did you believe your ex when he told you something about you, but you didn’t believe the therapist when she told you something about you?

Donator — She,Her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/02/9 05:11:58 )
▅▅▅▅▅▅▅
How to break a heart
It is not difficult
Anyone can do it
Just find a light
And switch it off
As easy as blinking
~Emilie Autumn

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

@Totalanimefan: well i never went to a therapist just i know one thing they do is try to help you find the root of your problem.. but i don't need help finding it it's me ... on so many levels it's me .. like as a kid i use to always take the blame after my sister would bully me into take blame to this day i will take the blame for something even though i know it wasn't me ... like one day my mom had a bad day and i told her it was my fault and she was like 'why did you put the virus in the computer at my work ' and to be honest i told her 'no but it just comes second nature due to my childhood' and as for the ex thing... he use to be my best friend before the ex thing ... so i think that's why i believed it ... jus cus we knew eacoutehr for years and years and years then he asked me out and then after dating for a year he said that... and he was the first guy to ask me out so again me being me and over thinking somethings ... like i can look back now in my life and be like 'well maybe his the only one who asked you out because you were so shy that no one noticed you... or maybe it's because you became a loner since every one else was more focused on parties and social life while you just wanted to graduate and get away from the kids who been bullying you since elementary school' ... where in that moment at that age and over thinking i thought 'his right his the only guy to ever come up to me and ask me out' and looked at it that way...

I mean i never blamed any one else for what happened in my life i always blamed my self even if i shouldn't and i know why .. i see my self as the screw up.. and again now that i'm older and really look at the big picture i can see i'm not but it doesn't change how my brain worked growing up .. and the reason i always saw my self as the screw up is cus my sister was treated like a princess by my dad where i wasn't ( I wasn't treated poorly just normal kid not a princess) but now looking back at my life knowing what i know now. My dad was getting out of the military when i was old enough to remember (still was in when i was baby) but my dad was there for my child hood he was in and out of my sisters life due to the military when she was younger so she got the princess treatment cus he missed so much. Now if i could tell the four your old me that maybe i would be different then who i am today but i can't so ... TADA.... so i just need to go threw those changes and i don't think a therapist can go into my brain and change that wireing up i know i need to break that thought process... like i have told my nephew when he asked why i wasn't dating any one since my last ex (2013) i told him ' I never believed it before now but you can't love some one if you don't love your self. I hated my self and every one i dated cheated on me and stole money from my wallet. If i love my self then maybe i won't end up with some one who is toxic and will find some one who will treat me the way i should be '

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅
Human emotion is energy.
Ever had deja vu?
A ghost.
~Torchwood

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/02/9 05:23:41 )

@Kittyzilla: therapist don’t try to change you. I know because I went to one for two years. They aren’t trying to rewire your brain. ^^;
But also if you go you have to want to work on yourself. They don’t do anything for you.
I’m sorry you had a horrible ex and not a great dad.

Donator — She,Her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/02/9 05:40:36 )
▅▅▅▅▅▅▅
How to break a heart
It is not difficult
Anyone can do it
Just find a light
And switch it off
As easy as blinking
~Emilie Autumn

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

@Totalanimefan: thehe i'm not saying they rewire your brain.. I know that's what i need to do .. that's why i got the books i did i'm hoping they can help me rewire my brain. And i mean yea my sister got princess treatment but my dad was there for every one of my games for the halftime cheer thing and he went to my competitions and he was there when i did a play (actually all 5th graders were forced to do a play you couldn't back out) and he was there when i got my art society reward ( which i never knew i was part of til a kid in the art society asked why i never came to meetings ) so i mean he was there for me when it was important it was little things that when your like 4 it seems like it was a bigger important then it really was. like going to a store my sister walking out with two pieces of candy and i only had one.. i mean yea i still got something but in a 4 year old little mind it was a 'he favors her more and hates me' but it really wasn't he had guilt for not being around my sister every day when she was little ... like my dad still gave my sister 'princess' status until he found out i busted my butt off for all my grades when i was doing my massage class and my sister had given her math to her ex husband to do while discussion for class she gave to her friend to do (she was doing online classes) i mean i don't get the princess status but i get the 'she works for what she wants to' status. i mean it's not princess but knowing he knows i work my butt off for things does make me feel special and out of the 'i'm a screw up' state. Like when we were moving my dad a few times had pulled my aside (after snapping at me due to being over stressed) and said 'I am sorry i have to step back at times and realize how much you have actually done for this move your making it so your mother and i don't have much to do besides clean and i thank you' and don't blame your self if things get miss placed or things don't get done it's not your fault' ....i think that was kind of the first step to the 'i want to be a better me to me' kind of thing -_- if this stupid snow went away maybe i could get out of my winter funk and start feeling better again like i did when i went for my mile walks (think i told you before i would take my dog to the pond near by then the back way home and it would be a mile) I always felt a calmer mind set but the wind coming off the pond makes it to cold
▅▅▅▅▅▅▅
Human emotion is energy.
Ever had deja vu?
A ghost.
~Torchwood

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

Donator — He/They Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/02/9 18:49:01 )

usually i'm at work so i can't really do most of the things that are supposed to help. so i'll just wait for the opportunity to take a bathroom break, splash some water on my face, and if i'm lucky, text a friend for a couple of minutes. more like an anxiety attack at that point, but normal stress at work just has to be pushed down and ignored...

at home, it's easier. put on some rain sounds or other ambience, step outside for a little bit, watch videos as a distraction, play simple games like solitaire, eat some comfort food (probably not a good method, but it works), make some vent "art" if i'm able to... talking to friends is the best thing for me, but they're rarely around.

ALWAYS PING ME

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/02/9 19:43:42 )

@Count Trashula: I hate it when you feel it at work because you are trapped. You can't really get away and you can't show what you are feeling.
Bathroom break with splashing water is a good idea.
I love playing Solitaire! As a teen I would play it all the time with some music in the background. Great combo.

Voltie — She/Her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/02/10 23:17:19 )

Oooh, that's my topic!
Because I suffer from panic and anxiety disorders, I've tried many ways how to cope with stress and many other unpleasant feeling that make you feel trashy.
1. Distraction. Distraction makes perfect "exchangable" move for your anxiety. You just replace your bad feelings and thoughts with something you like. It can be whatever you want - walking, watching favourite movies, doing favourite things - whatever makes you think less about your stress and stressfull situation.
2. Meditation. Meditation helps you to visualize your problem as any thing or item you want. You can transform it, make it go away, fight it, or just accept it with mindfullness exercizes. Helps a lot to make you feel better not only during the stress.
3. Psychological studies and their acknowledgment. That's a nice pill too. When you realize that your problems are illusion or just being problems just only because your head figured out like that - gives you a powerful relief.
4. Light but fullfilling food. Food is nice, but you shouldn't overdo it. I love eating nice food, but it shouldn't be heavy. Otherwise it won't help you but harm you.
5. Nice sleep. Sleep cures CNS wonderfully and calms you down. Also if you sleep, you can't be bothered about your stress!

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/02/11 00:58:41 )

@Edelaen: Those are all wonderful tips! I will have to use some of them sometime.
@Ava: I have one time meds that I can use if things get to be too much for me. I use it only once in a while after I can't make my brain turn off and the anxiety is still there. There is no shame in having them.

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/02/11 03:51:04 )

@Ava: I had a therapist in the before times and she really helped me a lot. Now I’ve moved to a new state and need to find a new one. It’s hard to do over FaceTime. I might just wait until I can go in person.

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.