Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat Does Your House Make Any Noises?

Donator — She/They Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/2 23:51:18 )

Does your house make any noises? Any explained sounds or spooky bumps in the night?

My house isn't very old, but isn't too new either, so it doesn't make very many "settling" sounds.
The floors creak in some places, but they only creak if they're stepped on in a certain way.
But there is a noise that happens downstairs, without much regularity. I don't know what it's from.
I've only ever heard it at night, when I'm alone, and it sounds like something ripping outside. But for way longer than a
ripping sound should last. Like tearing paper, but the noise is drawn out for several minutes.

Being the classic white girl in a horror movie, I always go to investigate it, but I've never found where it comes from.
It doesn't sound like it's inside the house, but if I go outside, the sound always stops.
So I don't believe it's...I dunno, a water heater or something that would regularly make noise.

Does your house make a similar sound to this?
Has any noise in your house ever been explained, or is it still a mystery?

Donator — She/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/3 00:02:57 )

My windows are old and need to be replaced. When it’s windy out they make a whistling sound and sometimes rattling.

Donator — Frog bless Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/3 00:05:50 )

I always assume it's one of the cats when I hear something unexpected. I dunno what's making the sound at your place, but I'm sure there's a logical answer.

Donator — She/They Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/3 00:25:51 )

@Totalanimefan: I'm super jumpy, so windows rattling would probably keep me awake >>
Hopefully they're just a slight nuisance to you.

@Priestess of pie: That's another nice reason to have pets. Most spooky noises can be easily explained.
But back when I was living with an old roommate, her siamese would sound like a literal baby and cry
in the hallway right outside my door, and it would make my blood run cold until I realized it was her lmao

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/3 00:27:15 )

My block of flats makes some weird noises, creaking noises in the ceiling. I guess it must be the pipes? Idk. I often worry the whole thing is going to collapse on me (it's 3 storeys and we're on the bottom level).

currently: new novel who dis?

q u e s t i n g :
beanie doll! thank u cookie

Donator — haunting Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/3 00:30:34 )
My house was originally built in 1892. It has been maintained impeccably - none of the floors creak, the windows don't rattle, everything works as it's supposed to. Of course it has had many additions and renovations made over the years, inside and out. The only indication it's older than most homes is the cedar shingle siding.

It's perfect, except that one sound.

For the longest time I thought it was my cat going up to the kitchen cupboards and trying to paw them open. Then I noticed one day it was happening while he was on my lap. It's very light yet incredibly close - bump bump bump.

For a house over a century old, I guess one ghost is okay.

hello again

Voltie — she/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/3 00:34:07 )

I oddly just have doors opening in my house even though they were locked or closed. yet they don't have any type of gap that would force them open, you have to pull really hard or push them open. it's spooky to think of what has been doing that.

Come join me at my lil
&

Donator — She/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/3 01:08:53 )

@Booderdooder: It’s kinda scary but then after like 24 hours you are so over it.

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

Donator — She/Her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/3 01:27:55 )
oh deer...

@Booderdooder: My house was built in 1951 and it makes noises a lot when it's windy. Which is all the time in Kansas. Rattling Windows mostly.
My bf's dad's house is really new and it sighs and creeks all the time. Loudly. It almost sounds like wood cracking. It's just the house settling but it is spooky sounding.

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/3 01:36:58 )

Even with my newer home there are random noises here and there throughout the day. We are in a neighborhood that still has construction so I always play it off as if its related.

But you hit one of my fears- living in an older semi spooky house. I aint about to mess with ghosts

Chatterbox

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/3 01:52:48 )
My house is about 120 years old, the floor is pretty creaky in some spots but other than that it doesn't seem to make much noise.

Donator — Whatever Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/3 02:27:42 )
Are ya ready, guyz?!

It's over a century old, and used to be a schoolhouse
Mice in the walls, birds in the chimney but not the fireplace side. The furnace side, I hear them chirping while there's a fire going and the smoke isn't backing up
The floors don't have subflooring
The plumbing dad replaced a few years ago was the original plumbing, but it wasn't original to the house
The one window has a broken latch so if it isn't secured shut it rattles in the wind
Other than that, it's pretty quiet

Put ya guns awn!

questShop

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/3 03:08:45 )

sometimes my office room door shakes... but i think that's just wind
my thermostat jumps around though like once i set it to 74 and looked away for a second and it jumped to 90.... and today i set it to 69 and it jumped to 75 o:

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/3 16:13:09 )

My apartment makes many noises. The doors here are very light and it creaks when it moves, terrible sound proof walls and often I can hear my neighbours talking at the other side. And on windy days I could hear the wind howling loudy on my bathroom. And dont get me started on these wooden floors. If there's a murder scene happening inside at my apartment, I'll die instantly because these wooden floors creaks like a mf =n=

But looking back I do have a funny story to share. This happened on my first year living here and I can be quite a superstitious gal. One night I was home alone and I remember painting an art peice in my bedroom. But out of nowhere my bedroom door slowly closed in on me, like the ones you see on horror movies. Of course back then I didn't know the doors we have here are such light weight that even the wind coming inside my apartment can easily move them. So I panicked and screamed like a banshee then ran all the way to the dining room and stayed there until my parents got home. I literally thought my apartment was haunted T^T

Art DumpAvatar GalleryQuest Items

Donator — Frog bless Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/3 16:23:55 )

@booderdooder: Siamese cats can YELL. They are very good at it, lol. Fun fact about cats though, they don't meow to communicate with each other, it's a special skill learned to communicate with humans. That's why wildcats don't meow. Also, they presumably learned to meow in a way which mimics a baby's cry as this is a sound most humans instinctively cannot ignore.

Mallow Tumbleweed
My Sons

Voltie — she/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/4 06:11:47 )
⭑My house is relatively new, but it still makes SO many noises. the walls creak and pop and the floors creak and every night at the same time the top corner of my room makes a loud snapping noise. it's actually pretty unnerving✰

Donator — He/They Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/4 20:00:24 )

I stay with my grandma rn so it's not my house, but yes, it's very noisy. To the point that I frequently get fooled into thinking she's come home while I am, in fact, still alone in the house. Lots of things going bump, pop, creak, and hiss around here, from "settling" to pipes to appliances. And of course there's the heat/air coming on from time to time, which is so loud I have to adjust my volume when listening to things. And while it's not technically the house making the noise, there's animals and trees outside that are always dropping walnuts and stuff, so the occasional sound of something hitting the wall, roof, or window is not unusual.

ALWAYS PING ME

Voltie — They/Them Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/5 00:19:01 )
My house is kind of old (I think it was built in the 70s) so it's a tad broken in a few parts. Sometimes I get creeks at night that jolt me awake at night. My next door neighbor is the interstate so that's definitely a fun addition to sounds.

Donator — They/them Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/5 10:36:29 )
my house is extremely old.
I mean we moved in when I was 8 (2001), and after my parents moved out of state i started renting it from them.

If I remember it was built in the late 60s? maybe 70s.
And little to no renovations have been done on it.

My windows rattle with the wind, the floor boards creek, one night our deck just fell off.
So its always making weird noises

But also I live in a pretty rural area outside of a big city, so bats get in our chimney and make noises so I hear that a lot too
Non binary | Pansexual | Taken
02/06/20

Donator — PomePome Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/5 11:32:04 )
Yes its old i sometimes think i have some nomads in my House ...... creepy footstep noises and so on
~Pls Ping me~
Nothing fancy to see here!!!

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.